Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Integrated Forum

Options
  • 26-01-2007 8:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭

I am looking for a forum that I can easily integrate with my site quite easily. It has to be free.

This is for a club so no profit.

Also must ask users to register quite easily. We are going to use emails for newsletter distribution.,

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

www.phpbb.com

One of the best free ones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭decbuck

Thanks for the quick reply. But I was looking for something that I can simply link to. I cannot install on our server as we are using simple menagement system with external company.

So need something that I can link to and it will display in the body of my page.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Well you have two options then. You can either use a service like Free Boards or pay for hosting yourself to have your own forum (phpBB or SMF). The problem with free forum hosting is there will be advertisements on it outside your control.

You can get hosting for as little as €100 a year - with the software installable at the click of a button from a control panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Serbian

Personally I wouldn't use PHPBB. It has a long history of exploits and spammers are actively looking for PHPBB boards to post on. Simple Machines is nice, but I quite like Lussumo's Vanilla. It is also built with web standards in mind, unlike the other forums. If you want to see it in action, here's a list of the most active Vanilla forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭phil

I think I should trademark the "do yourself a favour" phrase. Do yourself a favour and stay away from phpBB :)

phpBB has had a very bad history and from my own experiences with customers, you should stay away from it (I'm not sure how many phpBB forums and connected websites I've seen compromised because of it at this stage, but it must be close to a 50 or 60). A decent alterantive is http://www.simplemachines.org/ (SMF).

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

well i'll vote for phpBB , i'm running 7 different phpBB forums for various bands NONE have been spammed simply because i've configured it correctly in the first place :)

im gonna flamed for that :)

Advertisement