Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Integrated vs old geForce4

Options
  • 26-01-2007 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm just after puchasing a new PC via Dell outlet store (AMD Athlon 64 3800+). It comes with integrated graphics - nividia 6150LE. I know that a standalone card would be much better for gaming.
    My question is how the integrated graphics holds up against older standalone cards?
    e.g I have been previously playing BF1942 using a Geforce4 MX 64MB. Will the new integrated (when it arrives) at least match that performance?
    Where would I find info on that sort of thing?

Many thanks in advance for any input.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yeah the 6150Le is a pretty crap solution, important to establish that point first, but it's better then a Geforce 4Mx, and supports newer shaders that the Geforce 4mx doesn't.

It's possible that the Geforce 4Mx* might be faster in some Dx7 or maybe a Dx8 title or two, but overall the 6150 is a better option.

*I keep referring to its full title of MX because it's just a revised core of the Geforce 2mx with a new memory controller, a 'true' Geforce 4 Ti would probably be as fast or faster then a 6150.

Nowadays anyway, for 50 euro you'd get a card that'd outpace the 6150, so you might want to just go down that path, although if you're solely sticking with BF1942 you'll be fine with the onboard. In fact, the 6150 will play Battlefield 2 if you don't mind 800x600 with options on low, hardly ideal but a decent indication of its performance overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭fisab

thanks for the input, thats EXACTLY the sort of info I'm looking for. I'm tied to 2002 games and back fro the moment 'cos some of our gaming group have old machines, so I dont want to invest in a good graphics card till they upgrade their machines.
    So for the next 9-12 months I'll be playing directX8 games (incl BF1942).

So from what you are saying, the integrated nvidia 6150LE will handle those directX8 games as well if not better than my old Geforce4MX.

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Yep, pretty much. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

i agree you should be able to get some decent(ish) performance from that onboard card. a 6200 with do 20fps in hl2. So you should be okay with a low resolution and effects.

Advertisement