Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband plan is scrapped

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Blaster99 wrote:
    Was the budget not €25m? Regardless, the money would have been better spent on tender to ensure everyone got/gets broadband. More money would no doubt have been required but wasting 3-4 years on GBS wasn't the alternative.
    Most likely this would have resulted in the tax-payer subsidising the extending of Eircom's monopoly which, of course, has been the problem all along.

I think the big mistake of the Government was when Eircom announced the ubgrading of 200 exchanges in response to the threat to their monopoly posed by the GBS, the government should have changed the scope to include smaller towns thereby keeping the pressure up on Eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The GBS was rubbish in a way. It should be scrapped as it was working very badly. Except the reason for scrapping it is a lie.

It should be replaced with a NEW GBS.
    * No date for putting in applications
    * 100% capital funding for backhaul setup
    * 100% capital funding for basestations
    * Group must have a viable business plan for costs of Client gear, running Network etc . Viability to be verified by independent auditors, not DMCR.

OR
    Replace with tenders for different areas for provison from existing "real" Internet companies at a minimum 1M down / 128k up and maximum 70ms ping (to avoid poor 3G or Satellite solutions).

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Altreab wrote:
    This is another example of Dempsey mismanagement and its another in a LONG list. Hw has been totally inept in every area he has been involved in. Huge problems in all areas of the department. Communications (Eircom and Comreg)...Marine (handling of salmon stocks without a hint of a reasonable compensation to the offshore fishermen) ... Natural Resources (Letting Shell get away with no more than a slight BOO when they broke his own Minesterial order) Has there been a worse minister in the last 30 years in Goverment?

For Communications there definitely hasnt. IMHO

Oh and of course i forgot his earlier hi-tech adventure with electronic voting!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭shortys94

Did this effect westnet? I just noticed their website is down, or is it just being edited.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

shortys94 wrote:
    Did this effect westnet?
    Not particularly.
    shortys94 wrote:
    I just noticed their website is down...
    Not from here, it's not.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭wiredup

oscarBravo wrote:
    Not particularly. Not from here, it's not.

Are you guys extending your network to reach Partry this year? My neighbour seem to suggest you are in March??????

Re: your website.
    Can't you get your forum up and running. It would be very useful for your customers, potential customers and locals to communicate at your site.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

wiredup wrote:
    Are you guys extending your network to reach Partry this year?
    Almost certainly, but I'm not in a position to give a timeframe right now.
    wiredup wrote:
    Re: your website.
    Can't you get your forum up and running. It would be very useful for your customers, potential customers and locals to communicate at your site.
    :confused: We don't have a forum. If we decide we need one, we'll look at taking a commercial interaction forum here on boards.

I know the website's a bit crap, but it will be replaced soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭clohamon

THE Government has decided to scrap its Group Broadband Scheme after two years and over €5m in investment.

Comptroller and Auditor General looks into government waste.

He can be contacted here http://www.audgen.gov.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/Contact_points.htm

Advertisement