Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cyclist going round a busy roundabout

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Driver at fault IMO but having cycled a roundabout of similar description (Condell Roundabout linking Quays, Dock Rd, Bridge and Mallow st. in Limerick) you have to be very careful as a cyclist. Ther can be a heavy buildup in the right lane so some scum use the left to go around the roundabout. I used to cycle round and take up a position on the outside of the right hand lane (between the cars) but you can never tell how an Irish person (or worse a Polish or Latvian BMW driver or Taxi driver) will use a roundabout

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

mike65 wrote:
    Cyclists should use thier wit and simply get of the bloody bike and walk it across like a pedestrian.
    Drivers should do this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,992 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

mike65 wrote:
    Cyclists should use thier wit and simply get of the bloody bike and walk it across like a pedestrian.
    Victor wrote:
    Drivers should do this too.

What, get out of the car and walk across it like a pedestrian!! :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,854 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

IrishRover wrote:
    Did the motorist indicate left to show (the cyclist) that he intended to take that exit?
    Makes no difference, indicators never give you right of way.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭UrbanFox

If the motorist came up from BEHIND the cyclist and drove across or through him she has no excuse for her gross negligence to maintain basic observation. As rightly pointed out, a signal confers no authority to execute a manoeuvre. That said there are a few pedestrian controlled lights available around this roundabout which are available for both pedestrians and cyclists.

Roundabouts can be buttock clenching experiences at the best of times for cyclists.

There is a roundabout a short distance away from this one that actually has a fully marked cycle lane inside it. The lane is on the outside or left hand side of the roundabout as you travel. I think it is near Killiney Towers Apartments (?) leading towards the road for Dalkey.

I nearly got cleaned by a motorist on the aforementioned roundabout last summer. I was on the cycle lane going around the roundabout when this aggressive and ignorant cnut drove right up behind me, a few inches from my back wheel, and put her finger on the horn for me to get out of her way. At times like that I wish that I had a 6 inch nail handy to rearrange the paint work.

Cyclists cannot cycle around a roundabout in lane 2 or the lane nearest the middle of the roundabout so motorists have to give them space. This crap of getting off your bike to facilitate ignorant, incompetent and bullying motorists ticks me off ! Mind you, at times, it is the safest option and the one more likely to keep you alive. Beats being right but dead.

You need to judge each roundabout as you find it and keep your eyes and ears wide open. Common sense and not insisting on your rights will probably keep you alive at roundabouts. Ditto when you are driving the car !!

When going around a roundabout on my bike I stick out my right paw to clearly indicate to following cars that I do not intend to take the next exit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I would have thought it pretty straightforward, if the motorist came from behind, overtook the cyclist and then turned left into the cyclist, motorist's fault. If the cyclist came from behind and was undertaking the motorist at the time, cyclist's fault.

Advertisement