Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UEFA Election

• 26-01-2007 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭

Story

Blatter is backing Platini, is this reason enough to not want him toget in?

Platini wants to extend the Euro Championship to 24 teams.

And cut the representatives from to each nation in the Champions League to a maximum of three.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

C'mon platini. Champions league should have champions, i think 3 tems is enough for the so called top leagues.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I agree, I think it should definitely be a max of three teams from each country in the Champions League. Not so sure about adding more teams to the Euro Championships though, there isnt enough quality sides in Europe to make it worth while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭gustavo

3 is more than enough , but disagree with 24 teams for European Championships , the quality would suffer as a result

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

The European Championships is a better tournament that the World Cup because it has only 16 teams and thus the quality is better.
    Expanding to 24 teams would dilute the quality.
    I know it would give the Republic of Ireland a better chance of qualifying but no doubt in 4 years time we will not even be good enough to make a 24 team event.

Now where can I get a UEFA vote to express these opinions. ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

seansouth wrote:
    Story

Blatter is backing Platini, is this reason enough to not want him toget in?

Platini wants to extend the Euro Championship to 24 teams.

And cut the representatives from to each nation in the Champions League to a maximum of three.

If Blatter wants him, then I'm sure that Blatter will be making a few quid out of it somewhere.

CL spots cut to three will mean more teams from the "Smaller" leagues qualifying, which should win Platini more votes from them.

24 teams in the euros will mean more matches, which mean more TV revenue for UEFA, which will win Platini support from with UEFA.

cynical? me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Great player -- lousy administrator -- same as Blanco in the rugby -- they love controversy and re-establising there names or ego !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Could mean increased chance for an eL team making the group stages, so that can't really be a bad thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Less teams fromone country in CL = good thing. God be with the days when you had to win your league (or the cup itself) to compete...:(

Platini gave us the backpass rule, but also wanted the game to become less of a contact sport. I'll give him time to work before I criticise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

thebaz wrote:
    Great player -- lousy administrator -- same as Blanco in the rugby -- they love controversy and re-establising there names or ego !

Have to agree there. Obviously he's gonna want to make his mark and no doubt it'll be with some stupid idea. I'm sceptical to say the least.

thebaz wrote:

Hmmm, would you have picked Johansson so? He's no stranger to controversy, lets be honest.

"Companies could make use of a sweaty, lovely looking girl playing on the ground, with the rainy weather."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Platini, the man who wants to ban slide tackles...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Hmmm, would you have picked Johansson so? He's no stranger to controversy, lets be honest.

"Companies could make use of a sweaty, lovely looking girl playing on the ground, with the rainy weather."

Yep -- i wonder in 10 years time will there be tribunals investigating brown paper bags -- or does this just happen in Irish politics ?

thebaz wrote:
    Yep -- i wonder in 10 years time will there be tribunals investigating brown paper bags -- or does this just happen in Irish politics ?
    Eh, what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

There werent many candidates to choose from with just two, so much for democracy. I think it was time for Johansson to move on, he is 77 I think, and give the reins to a new person. I was surprised that the vote was so close, 27-23, so just two votes (two more paper bags?) would have swung it. UEFA, like FIFA, is very heavily 'politicised' and has all the nasty things that go with that. With the Faroe Islands having one vote the same as other larger countries, hmmm, and unlike the UN, there is no seurity council (yet!).

In terms of his manifesto, whilst I think that 3 teams per 'big money league' is enough, its hard to go back. Its bad news for the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal, and indeed it wont enamour Chelsea or Man Utd either in case they have a blip year - and it certainly isnt good news for the likes of Spurs or Newcastle or any of the other 'wannabe' candidates. Leagues such as Germany, France, Scotland, Holland, Portugal, etc wont mind and will prefer it as it will mean that 3 potential big clubs wont be there. I think a better solution would be to widen the no. of teams qualifying and just let the cream rise to the top.

I think increasing the Euro nations championship to 24 teams is a good thing. I'm an advocate of splitting into the two tier system for the qualifying stages as well.

One thing is for sure, Platini will be the catalyst for many changes in the game. I think he is an advocate of two referees and two extra linesmen (ref's assistants).

expect change ....

Redspider

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,908 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

redspider wrote:
    expect change ....

Yeah and that's what I'm not looking forward to. The game isn't in that bad a state but I can Platini making radical changes to begin his legacy. I'm not a fan of extra referees and linesmen. While incredibly annoying, a game with little or no human error to me is boring. Also what about grass roots soccer? Most leagues in Ireland are lucky if one ref shows up, never mind another and four linesmen! I just hope he isn't just going to look after the area that is most in the public eye.

As for the Euro Championships, the standard will only get worse with 24 teams. No way are there that many good nations on the continent to make it a competitive enough competition. Although Ireland may actually qualify then.

redspider wrote:
    and it certainly isnt good news for the likes of Spurs or Newcastle or any of the other 'wannabe' candidates.

I don't know, there's a school of thought that says the reduction in CL places will force the Big Fourtm to tailor their spending accordingly, which might go some way towards reducing the gap between them and the chasing pack, not widen it.

It might also mean the bigger sides will take the UEFA Cup seriously now, if its their only chance of a European campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

When will Platinis New World Order come into being? Next season?

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭SectionF

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Could mean increased chance for an eL team making the group stages, so that can't really be a bad thing.
    While my brain has always been defeated by the tedium of how such matters work, if this is the end result then I'm all for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭Carcharodon

I dont really see the problem by increasing the number of teams in European Championships from 16 to 24, the argument seems to be that the quality will suffer but there is not a huge gulf in quality between teams that manage to qualify from second place and those that dont, looking at the groups you can see that there are numerous teams in each group with similar quality and the ability to qualify.
    The tournament should improve in my opinion with more participants and of course Ireland have a better chance, wouldn't hold my breath though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,955 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

redspider wrote:
    One thing is for sure, Platini will be the catalyst for many changes in the game. I think he is an advocate of two referees and two extra linesmen (ref's assistants).

expect change ....

Matters like that are for FIFA, not UEFA. The IRB (International Rules Board) consists of the English, Welsh, Scottish, and NI FA's along with four other FA reps.

Move on CL is a good one. They should go back to the way it was in the late 90s. Two from the very top leagues (r-up's having to pre-qualify) and one from the rest.

If they make the Euros 24 team events, I'll never watch the tournament or its qualifiers again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,514 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Yeah, Platinis move for the CL is a good one. This thing of having teams who come 4th in the "Champions League" is a joke. Funny, on SSN, the first person they interviewed voicing his concern was...Aresene Wenger. Im not surprised he is concerned at this. Back to the old ways and it'll be a better competition

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Mushy wrote:
    Yeah, Platinis move for the CL is a good one. This thing of having teams who come 4th in the "Champions League" is a joke.

Whereas the teams that come 2nd and 3rd are worthy of the place seeing as they have won what exactly?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Oh dear, this is very bad news. Removing the 4th CL spot is no bad thing, though I wonder would he be doing it if France had 4 places? I doubt it. Hopefully none of his other 'ideas' ever come to fruition though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Mushy wrote:
    Yeah, Platinis move for the CL is a good one. This thing of having teams who come 4th in the "Champions League" is a joke. Funny, on SSN, the first person they interviewed voicing his concern was...Aresene Wenger. Im not surprised he is concerned at this. Back to the old ways and it'll be a better competition

How will it make it a better competition? Englands', spain's and italy's 4th spot will just probaly be given to eastern european teams.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

How will it make it a better competition? Englands', spain's and italy's 4th spot will just probaly be given to eastern european teams.

And they get to share in the mega cash bonanza, thus creating more comptetive eastern euro leagues as the carrot is much bigger.

Also CL will have a lot more goals in matches if that happens.

kdjac

I just feel that the Champions of the all Leagues should at least have a representative team ie. only teams in first get into it. There'd also probably be too many countries, so have one round of qualifying for lower ranked countries champions. Ok, fair enough, a "better competiton" as I said, it may not be, but its a better chance for relatively weaker countries to play more competitve European football as Champions

EDIT: Exactly as KdjaCL says, more money, improved sides in Eastern Europe will develop. And the same for Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

so watching sides get thumped 6-0 makes a competition more entertaining?

• Advertisement

Well, up until the weaker teams have improved a bit. And anyway, those teams would have nothing to lose, so they'd go out and just try and hold out as long. Big players with wrong attitude could see some surprises.

so watching sides get thumped 6-0 makes a competition more entertaining?

If Platini gets his way, three less sides from the top leagues will compete in the CL. Its not like he's suggesting the Icelandic champions get a bye into the last 16, there'll still be plenty of big sides for RTE to ignore in favour of ManYoo and Liverpool...;)

The three sides to lose out this season (if implemented earlier) would have been Arsenal, Osasuna, and Chievo. Only Arsenal made it out of the qualifiers...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,165 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Some people are really petty about the name of the competition. Yeah it's called the champions league, if you don't like that you don't have to win anything to get into it, tough sh*t. It's a better competition with more top teams in it than just having the champions of each country. I know I'd rather see 2nd/3rd/4th place teams from the top leagues instead of the slovenian and finnish champions fight it out.

Just because it's called the champions league doesn't mean the competition should be changed to suit the name. If it really bothers people that much they should be lobbying for a name change, not a change in numbers of teams involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,327 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Some people are really petty about the name of the competition.

That include UEFA?

Advertisement