Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New VW Golf

Options
  • 26-01-2007 11:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭

Has anyone else heard rumours circulating the Irish Motor Industry that Volkswagon are bringing out a new model of the VW Golf this year????:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The story has been around for about a year now. Apparently the Golf MK VI is to be released early '08

106e26baa0d483a6a05be5350f70c724_1.jpg

7d10136fe9a79746031aae488e9765ca_1.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/05/16/autobild-has-info-on-2008-vw-golf-mk-vi/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Looks nice and no black plastic at the rear!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

bennyx_o wrote:
    Looks nice and no black plastic at the rear!

Or plastic protectors on the side, probably a bad thing in that the side of it will get rippled out of it by other cars doors in car parks.

The MKV was supposed to be very expensive to manufacture, this one should be alot cheaper, it must be the shortest Golf model ever, only 3 years worth.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Tipsy Mac wrote:

it must be the shortest Golf model ever, only 3 years worth.

How will that affect resale prices? Would be very interested in a second hand MKV in a years time

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    The MKV was supposed to be very expensive to manufacture, this one should be alot cheaper, it must be the shortest Golf model ever, only 3 years worth.

2003-2008 is 5 years. I suppose a bit less as it was late '03. Not as long as the first generations but the same as the MK IV and pretty normal for a small family hatch these days

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

unkel wrote:
    2003-2008 is 5 years. I suppose a bit less as it was late '03. Not as long as the first generations but the same as the MK IV and pretty normal for a small family hatch these days

I haven't seen any of the new ones on '03 plates, in fact there's a lot of '04s which are still the old model:
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=555136

It does seem like a very short life span. The new model still seems brand new to me, can't believe they're talking about changing it already.

PauloMN wrote:
    I haven't seen any of the new ones on '03 plates

You're right. That's because there is usually a delay in producing RHD cars when the original is LHD. I don't think they were available here until well into '04

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

It's nice, but the back is quite remiscent of an Alfa 147.http://www.zumac.ch/occasionen/Alfa_147GTA-02.jpg

I like the styling at the front. Are VW adopting a similar style grille to the Audi for all of their range, I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭HashSlinging

its more of a facelift than a new model, the design is very similar to whats on offer atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I would imagine it will be into 2009 before the MkVI appears here or in the UK... previous generations of the Golf, MKV included, have usually appeared in magazine previews late into the year - Sept/October, and its always been early Spring the following year before they've been available in RHD, as a previous poster mentioned. I remember visiting the local VW dealer in Feb 2004, and they had only just got in a demo MKV at that time,

Also, I'd pay little heed to those Auto-express style spyshots - they will bear little or no resemblance to the actual car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

VW Golf designers must be the laziest people on the planet.

MkVI is very similar to the current model on which it is heavily based. Looks like they put the Audi A3 front grill on it. I hope they ditch those 1.4 litre 80bhp and 1.6 litre 102bhp engines in the new one.

Regarding the MkV, it was only available in Ireland from March 2004. Looks like poorer sales than expected and expensive production costs of the MkV have prompted VW to get the finger out.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭mrbungle

bazz26 wrote:

Porsche would actually be lazier !! Check out the untouched 911 for the last 40 yrs !!

MkVI is very similar to the current model on which it is heavily based. Looks like they put the Audi A3 front grill on it. I hope they ditch those 1.4 litre 80bhp and 1.6 litre 102bhp engines in the new one.
    bazz26 wrote:
    Regarding the MkV, it was only available in Ireland from March 2004. Looks like poorer sales than expected and expensive production costs of the MkV have prompted VW to get the finger out.

I read some where that the re-working costs in the VW plant were extremely high for the MkV, they've probably re-engineered the car and parts for the MkVI.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭caesar

I heard this story a good while back. It will have the same platform as the current model apparently, it will just be just a facelift model....will probably be marketed as a whole new golf though :D.

bazz26 wrote:
    I hope they ditch those 1.4 litre 80bhp and 1.6 litre 102bhp engines in the new one.
    My sister has a 1.4, what a unbelievable poor car to drive, I've had more fun driving tractors....without power steering!

BTW is the Golf plus still in production?

caesar wrote:
    I heard this story a good while back. It will have the same platform as the current model apparently, it will just be just a facelift model....will probably be marketed as a whole new golf though :D.

My sister has a 1.4, what a unbelievable poor car to drive, I've had more fun driving tractors....without power steering!

BTW is the Golf plus still in production?

I had a MkV 1.4, I liked it, never pulled, good on petrol and neat around roundabouts !!.

I have a MkV GTI now. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭Calibos

mrbungle wrote:
    I had a MkV 1.4, I liked it, never pulled, good on petrol and neat around roundabouts !!.

I have a MkV GTI now. End of.

Had a 1.4 golf loaner when my remapped 2.0TDI A3 was in for a service. Oh sweet jaysus, I was bouncing forward in my seat when I would put the foot down, "Come on move will ya FFS!" Next time I have a car in for a service I will let them know in advance that I'll take anything 'other' than a 1.4 golf as a loaner. Now the 1.4 Supercharged Turbo FSI 170hp Golf I would take as a loaner :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Sandwich

bazz26 wrote:
    Looks like they put the Audi A3 front grill on it. I hope they ditch those 1.4 litre 80bhp and 1.6 litre 102bhp engines in the new one.

Why ? Will you be forced to buy one,and prevented from choosing an FSI,TSI,or TDI?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sandwich wrote:
    Why ? Will you be forced to buy one,and prevented from choosing an FSI,TSI,or TDI?

The Golf is not cheap yet the basic 1.4 litre has only 80bhp which is patheticly slow these days. Also the 1.6 litre (non FSi) is an ancient 8 valve unit from the mid 1990s and still sold in the Audi A4 too today.

Why should you have to spend extra on what is already an expensive car to get the decent FSi or TFSi engines in a VAG car? Other car makers are offering better entry level engines for less or equal money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭$Leon$

Spotted a Mk4 today on a 05 plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

bazz26 wrote:
    The Golf is not cheap yet the basic 1.4 litre has only 80bhp which is patheticly slow these days. Also the 1.6 litre (non FSi) is an ancient 8 valve unit from the mid 1990s and still sold in the Audi A4 too today.

Why should you have to spend extra on what is already an expensive car to get the decent FSi or TFSi engines in a VAG car? Other car makers are offering better entry level engines for less or equal money.

Totally agree. To my mind it devalues the brand (if you'll excuse the marketing-speak). The 1.4, 1.6 8 valve & the 1.9TDI should be all axed. The fact that the latter engine is available in the A4 is a disgrace. There are very few 318d Bimmers about in comparison to A4 1.9 TDIs (and the Bimmer has about 20 bhp more). The
    Audi seems to attract culchie-types who are quite accustomed to driving Zetors - maybe that explains it!

bazz26 wrote:
    Subaru and Mitsubisi must be the worst.

Ive lost count of how many times each evo and Impreza has been facelifted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

wonder will the new Golf have much affect on the resale value of the MK5.

they're still very expensive....

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

The Mk5 is costing too much to manufacture because of the independant rear suspension. They may go back to basics with the Mk6, and it was brought forward 2 years I think over when it was originally due for release. Maybe a nice Mk5 GTi will be as good as the Golf gets for another 10 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

There is also a Golf Estate yet to be launched soon so it will even have a shorter production span.

The Mark I Golf is still built in South Africa as the Citigolf.
    pic_index.jpg

G Luxel wrote:
    The Mark I Golf is still built in South Africa as the Citigolf.

There's a 170bhp Sport version of the Citi aswell !!

Advertisement