Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Happy Australia Day btw!

• 26-01-2007 11:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd wish everyone well on this most holy of days. I saw on the news that they had a ferry race across Sydney Harbour.. far more exciting than the annual tractor display that is the Paddy's Day parade in Offaly :(

What I'd give to be in Sydney now.. straight to hell with me :p

Anyone ever been there for the big day?

Edit - yes it is tomorrow, but its today, technically.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Australia day?Sounds like another excuse for a heavy drinking session tbh! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I'm off on Sunday!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

rb_ie wrote:
    Australia day?Sounds like another excuse for a heavy drinking session tbh! :D
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I'm off on Sunday!

I see a plan forming (",)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭Fast_Mover

connundrum wrote:
    Anyone ever been there for the big day?
    My parents and sister were in Sydney for it this time last year..they're all depressed today so they are!:D
    They said it was amazing-the fireworks displays were unreal..etc..
    Our Australian cousins just rang us there 10minutes ago..they all celebrating like mad anyway:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Alrighty, let's put another shrimp on the barbie :D

Wanna play knifey-spoony?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Kenny 5 wrote:
    Alrighty, let's put another shrimp on the barbie :D

Wanna play knifey-spoony?

Thats not a knife, THIS is a knife.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,913 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I'm off on Sunday!

I'll be joining MJS in Perth from Sunday. Can't wait!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭mickith

i was there for the big day a few years back. wasnt in sydney unfortunately
    was in the back arse of nowhere, tryin to earn a few dollars for some tinnies or a box of goon...(tries to hold back the urge to projectile vomit)

from what i remember it was a bit of a celebration alrite, an aussie paddys day i suppose you would call it

we had a good auld knees up and afterwards had a good auld fight, cause we all know how much the aussies love to fight! :)
    I'll be joining MJS in Perth from Sunday. Can't wait!

i hate you xavi :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,854 ✭✭✭zuutroy

Is it just me that really DOESNT like Australia. I've a few Aussie mates and individually they're nice, but collectively I can't stand the way the country goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

zuutroy wrote:
    I can't stand the way the country goes on.

What with their men wearing vest tops, all the wimmins being called Sheila, them talkin bout the bloody sunshine, endless BBQ's, saying bloody before everything.. etc :p

I find em quite amusing actually :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭mickith

ah there a fairly decent bunch of blokes really. and your right connundrum their bloody hillarious too.

we are only jealous of em cause they have got all that lovely weather and beaches and hot chicks and.....................................!

I don't have a problem with them at all. Bloody hilarious so they are. Plus they roasted England in the ashes which is always a good thing ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,240 ✭✭✭Endurance Man

Bah, connundrum you been in Ireland to long, we hate those kangaroos :p ! Cheeky buggers even decided to dedicate a day to themselves, crisis in a bucket.

zuutroy wrote:
    Is it just me that really DOESNT like Australia. I've a few Aussie mates and individually they're nice, but collectively I can't stand the way the country goes on.

As an Australian with plenty of family and friends there could I ask you to please elaborate?
    Cheeky buggers even decided to dedicate a day to themselves, crisis in a bucket.

How dare we! You wouldn't catch Ireland or America having their own day now would you?! ;)

Xavi6 wrote:
    How dare we! You wouldn't catch Ireland or America having their own day now would you?! ;)

Bah, you deserve nothing :p , soon as the rugby/cricket world cup are over and we have shat all over your heads ill like you again :D.

Xavi6 wrote:
    As an Australian

Bloody hell, there's a sheila among us......watch ya wallets mateys ;)

Xavi6 wrote:
    As an Australian with plenty of family and friends there could I ask you to please elaborate?

Not meaning to offend, as I said my Aussie mates are all very nice folk, more the national mentality that gets my goat, the boorish brash behaviour...total lack of sportsmanship during sports contests. Unwavering belief that their culture is the best on the planet, and the necessity to be heard even if no-one wants to listen.

zuutroy wrote:
    Not meaning to offend, as I said my Aussie mates are all very nice folk, more the national mentality that gets my goat, the boorish brash behaviour...total lack of sportsmanship during sports contests. Unwavering belief that their culture is the best on the planet, and the necessity to be heard even if no-one wants to listen.

Ahh "Unwavering belief that their culture is the best on the planet", that pisses me off no end!

Bah, you deserve nothing :p , soon as the rugby/cricket world cup are over and we have shat all over your heads ill like you again :D.

Yeah I suppose. Not like there was an opportunity to do it in the soccer World Cup last year :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

zuutroy wrote:

i know, imagaine being proud of your country.

and as for the boorish brash behavour, its awful. never seen it in dublin myself. oh hold on, yes i have.

and that lack of sportsmans ship. yep. becuase its a contest, not the samaratins.

as for the last two points, sound like the famous irish begrudery to me.

you see, youre so begrudging, you have to come into a thread that is celebrating something, and try and put down people, just becuase you cant stand it.
    now, why dont you go back to hating the english, digging turf, and driving your donkey cart to town for a fight.
    i mean, that is the stereotypical irish person, isnt it?

• Advertisement

i know, imagaine being proud of your country.

and as for the boorish brash behavour, its awful. never seen it in dublin myself. oh hold on, yes i have.

Did I say Dublin was any better anywhere? Did I say I liked Dublin and it was a role model society?

and that lack of sportsmans ship. yep. becuase its a contest, not the samaratins.

sportsmanship =/ samaritans. It's about class and dignity

as for the last two points, sound like the famous irish begrudery to me.

you see, youre so begrudging, you have to come into a thread that is celebrating something, and try and put down people, just becuase you cant stand it.

Sorry? Do you know what the word begrudgery means? apprarently not, and you seem to be under the impression that you know me, or anything about me. I didn't put anyone down, I gave my opinion on what I perceive as the Australian national mentality.

now, why dont you go back to hating the english, digging turf, and driving your donkey cart to town for a fight.
    i mean, that is the stereotypical irish person, isnt it?

Note how I didn't use a single stereotype in my post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

zuutroy wrote:
    total lack of sportsmanship during sports contests.
    In fairness, Xavi is one of the most sporting fellas to play on the Boards Team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Going to celebrate a friends 21st tonight, and now I've to celebrate Australia Day too....gonna be a messy night!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I'll slip an extra shrimp on the barbie for you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Strewth! just came out of the ugc and the queue outside the woolpacker bar(aussie bar) is ginormous!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭dSTAR

Well surprisingly Australia Day passed off without much incident unless you were some poor Irish guy who was almost beaten to death outside a 7-11 store last night. Thankfully we didn't see the ugly scenes of rampant (pseudo) nationalism (read racism) from this time last year.

The Big Day Out also passed off without the expected trouble after concert organizers advised concert goers to leave the Australian flag at home. Even though it was done to avoid a repetition of racist incidents last year it certainly didn't stop people from bringing them along and having the whole country up in arms.

There seems to be a flag waving frenzy sweeping the country with that little bollox John Howard PM becoming part of this whole flag fetish proclaiming his Australianism at every opportunity and pretty much saying if you are not with us then you can just about piss off back where you came from.

It kinda reminds me of the McCarthy Reds under the Bed era. If you challenge this new breed of ultra conservative Australian values you are accused of being un-Australian and castigated and treated suspiciously.

Sure I raised a beer with a few mates over a BBQ and grabbed an early night. Australia Day for me is no big deal...it is a not like Paddies Day in New York or Dublin! Although for many (the original custodians of the land) Australia Day is not a day of celebrations and fireworks but a day of mourning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

dSTAR wrote:
    It kinda reminds me of the McCarthy Reds under the Bed era. If you challenge this new breed of ultra conservative Australian values you are accused of being un-Australian and castigated and treated suspiciously.

I believe the Australian flag had been deemed by certain people to be "gang colours" and therefore offensive and to be banned.

If the prime minister of Australia won't stand up for the flag then who will?

"ultra conservative Australian values" are nothing more than the right to give everyone a fair go and to fit in with the lifestyle of the country immigrants chose to settle in. It's not about denying people their roots, culture, language etc it's about some immigrants refusing to accept the roots, culture, language and freedom of choice of others.*

ON TOPIC: I've spent 18 Australia Day's in Sydney and three in other parts of the country.

*to over simplify a huge problem

zuutroy wrote:
    Did I say Dublin was any better anywhere? Did I say I liked Dublin and it was a role model society?

so you admit that irish people are boorish and brash?
    zuutroy wrote:
    sportsmanship =/ samaritans. It's about class and dignity

were you sniggering when you wrote that? i hope so.
    class and dignity. sounds like the sort of thing that comes from the mouth of a bad loser. youre not an english cricket player are you?
    zuutroy wrote:
    Sorry? Do you know what the word begrudgery means?

of course i do. you made a wide spread generalisation about an entire culture. i gave you one back. i have no idea why you would think i dont understand the words i put down.
    zuutroy wrote:
    I didn't put anyone down, I gave my opinion on what I perceive as the Australian national mentality.

i gave my opinion on irish society as an answer to what you said. or are you only allowed to do it? sorry, ididnt realise this wasnt an equal opportunities thread. or more irish racist remarks?
    zuutroy wrote:
    Note how I didn't use a single stereotype in my post

youre right. you didnt mention kangaroos or koala bears once. whats your point?

but i will feel free to come on here on paddys day and talk about drunken irish people fighting and pissing all over the city.

personally, i hate people who are ignorant. youve joined that list.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭antSionnach

Hmmm yah that's the spirit, happy Australia Day one and all.

I'd guess there were lots of pretty severe hangovers across Australia today/ yesterday/ blah

but i will feel free to come on here on paddys day and talk about drunken irish people fighting and pissing all over the city.

I'll be singing the same tune. The Irish and English are worse. At least with the Aussies its mostly hot air but our lot take it to the next level.

personally, i hate people who are ignorant. youve joined that list.

You see I'm not really, you've just deduced that from one or two posts about an attitude I don't care for.

no, youve shown your ignorance with your sweeping generalisations.

i ve made the same gesture back at you, but you appear not to have noticed.

no, youve shown your ignorance with your sweeping generalisations.

i ve made the same gesture back at you, but you appear not to have noticed.

Well its impossible to make any observation good or bad about a country without generalising.

Advertisement