Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Condensation in car

Options
  • 26-01-2007 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭

Hello,
    I have 2 problems. First things first, I have a 95 Toyota Corolla, and the windows are a terror for fogging up, especially the rear windscreen. Has anyone got any ideas how to possibly reduce this condensation? I have checked for any broken seals, but couldn't see any. The seats, carpets etc don't feel wet or damp, so I can't really figure out what is causing this.

Also have a problem with a 03 Nissan Almera saloon. When I open the boot, condensation tends to drip into the boot compartment from the boot door. There seems to be heavy condensation inside the boot door, and when I open it up, all the condensation runs down the inside of the boot door and drips out. Can't see any damaged seals or anything like that. There is no condensation anywhere else in the boot compartment. Has anyone got any ideas on how I could possibly reduce this?

Thanks very much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭conor_mc

For your windows, try rubbing some washing-up liquid into the glass, as if it were a gel.

Got that tip from a post here a few weeks ago and it worked wonders!

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭fastrac

i had the same story in a 99 corolla and it was the pollen filter,dont know if your car has one but if theres any filter for the heater check it as the difference to my car was huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I agree with both above posters. Change the pollen filter regularly, you'd be sock if you saw the state of it. Even take it out as a temporary easure & bang it off the ground. There is some amount of dirt clogging it up I bet preventing the air circulating properly.
    Also clean the windows with some proper car glass cleaner or as suggested above some old trick. Dirty windows attract moisture a lot easier.

This is a big bug bear of mine, people driving without the fan blowing especially in wet conditions. Put your fan speed on setting 1 (or lowest depending on the car. In my opinion it should always be on the minimum setting to allow air to come in to car.
    Use the setting for the heating to adjust the temperature, not the fan speed. Make sure the side vents are open, have them pointing at the side windows.
    Finally have the fan direction control. pointing half at the windscreen & half through the vents, this isn the control with the picture of a windscreen, feet and just airflow.

All this should make a huge difference. Leave the fan on minimum at least all the time. If it starts to get a bit foggy open the window slightly, it will help clear it quicker.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Have been having the same problem with the g/f's car recently. Used a dehumidifier in it for a couple of nights. Now to see if that's solved the problem - the windows have been clear the past couple of mornings.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Yeah I'd also recommend changing the pollen filter. Before I changed mine all I could smell inside the car was warm engine - was quite sickening at times :(
    Now I actually get fresh air!

Also check you don't have the fans on recirculating air - there's a lever (same as the temp and direction slidy things) on the dashboard for this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

From personal experience, and also reading a few car forums, pollen filters appear to be a favourite thing for dealers not to replace during services, but to charge for nonetheless. I suffer really badly from hay fever, so make a point of a) making sure the garage know that I really want it replacing, and b) marking the filter in some way so that I know if they haven't done it. I've caught out a few in my time, and the excuses they come out with when confronted with the evidence is staggering.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

Thanks to all of you for replying, appreciate it. Will let ye know how I get on. Has anyone got any ideas on the problem with the 03 Almera??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

My Golf (00) fogs like mad a lot of the time. I'm pretty sure they are renowned for fogging,howver, does it (MKIV) have a pollen filter and if so is it easily accessible?? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,250 ✭✭✭Elessar

On a related note, is there an air filter on a 98 VW polo? If so how do I access it? Never even thought about this.

I only know of the engine air filter.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Another idea that I use, and works a treat, is get loads of packs of Silca Gel. Keeps the car nice and fresh and gets rid of alot of the damp!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭tacklemore

antodeco: thanks, never thought of that. are they easy to get, aside from buying a load of shoes and keeping the gel packs from the boxes.

As far as I know, the pollen filter is located behind the glovebox in the corollas. I don't know about other makes. maybe try wikihow.com

Advertisement