Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mazda RX8 who has or has had one?

Options
  • 26-01-2007 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭

Seriously considering this for my next car.

Looking at a 04 Hi power (is hi power definately the way to go, i know low power has a torquer engine with a lower rev limit) in grey or black with as many extras as i can get!

I know there were a lot of things fixed under warranty on these, is there any way of checking what work has been done under warranty (or not as the case may be).

I know mpg is low 20s and i need to keep an eye on the oil. But they are a super looking car with a pretty nice looking interior (esp for a jap car)

Any other things to look out for, or pros and cons of these?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Changing again :eek: ;)

The RX-8 is a good car and it looks like it is more reliable than the old RX-7. Maintenance is gonna cost ya though...

Honest John:

What's Bad
    Must check oil every second fill of petrol, but actually uses no more than many conventional cars. Car must NEVER be started then shut down without reaching full operating temperature or petrol washout will harm rotor seals. Car must not be used for short runs from cold. CO2 284g/km, so Group G VED (£210pa 2006/7).
    What to Watch Out For
    On very early 2003 cars, lower suspension arm ball joint and/or entire arm can fail so make sure recall work below has been carried out. Make sure a heat shield has been installed between exhaust pipe and plastic fuel tank (particularly important on independent imports which also means ALL automatics). Apparently, if the car is stationary for a long time with the revs running high the exhaust ports of the engine can melt, resulting in red hot molten metal shooting into the cat converter, spiking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

yeah apparently the turbos lead to the rx7 failure.

im changing before june so im starting research now :)

apparently servicing is cheap until new rotary tips are needed and that shouldnt be until 80-90k, you have no cambelt changes or anything up to that so overall should work out okay.

Mpg is poor but i know that in advance and when i had the 156 i checked it for oil every 1000 miles anyway.

i love the styling of the rx8, looks good in grey or black and its a nippy enough machine without costing the earth to insure!

Also good value for an 04 from the uk!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

I have a 04 192HP version. Very nice car. Have had some issues with the ground clearance but that was my own fault. Apart from that very reliable and very fast. Handles like a housefly. Oil is not so much of a problem...I put in have a small bottle every 1000 KM or so. MPG is really under 20 in city driving so the initial low cost is made up for in fuel over time.

Look great...quite practical wih four doors. Cheap to service. Would reccomend however expect more maintenance than a desiel polo, and some roughness in neutral (normal) and a rough ride compaired to a "normal" car. Still makes me very happy after 6 months though.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭zt-OctaviaN

Gorgeous car!
    I have driven one on a few occasions to and from servicing had it overnight etc.
    Nippy car for 192bhp just not a whole bunch of torque compared to a 2 litre well say! It only performs when revved hence it can be juicy if you like to go when you can!

Look out to see if the ECU has been updated within the last year as starting and stopping from cold within about 2 minutes would cause it to need towing away! completely chokes up this has been solved.

Handles like a housefly! couldnt have put it funnier....just dont know how a housefly handles but have seen them! :D

Buy one there probably the most involving drive I have had!
    Very direct in its handling, itching to go!
    n

cheers lads good to hear user comments, any reason you went for 190bhp fitzgeme, im thinking of the 231 if possible.

My current car is an e46 323ci so i would imagine servicing and maintenance costs arent going to be any more than im used to

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Took one for a spin one time and I thought it had the best manual gearchange of any car I have ever driven. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to really wind it up. FWIW The interior was bit too black for my liking.

I'm interested by the mention of automatics - can you get them in auto in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think they are available with a tiptronic style box.

There's nothing about automatics on the mazda.ie website. Perhaps Jap import only?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Wow, I don't think I could think of a car less suited to an auto....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Wow, I don't think I could think of a car less suited to an auto....
    Is that because it has lowish torque and needs to be revved...?
    AFAIK the autos are only on the lower HP, higher torque version.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Sweet cars alright. Was thinking of one myself. I can get my hands on a nice black one, 2004 231bhp model, with all extras and 25k miles for around €24,500. (Irish car). Seems to be cheap compared to what some are looking for them. Hard to even find one in England for that price.

yep thats a decent price, its around what one would cost from the uk + vrt but obviously you incur travel costs etc.

obviously what someone was offered on one as a trade i presume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Cyrus wrote:
    yep thats a decent price, its around what one would cost from the uk + vrt but obviously you incur travel costs etc.

obviously what someone was offered on one as a trade i presume?
    Yep. I kind of know the car since new too, so that helps!

if you arent interested let me know ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭vms7ply9t6dw4b

Thinking of picking one of these up aswell, been offered this 2006 one at a fantastic price but i dont know weather i'll have trouble selling it on when it comes time for a change, its not to everyones tastes but l like it. Its not crazy OTT on the bodykit is it?

164056_F_Large.jpeg
    164056_R_Large.jpeg

What do we think? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Mayshine

Well its an import with tiny alloys and a huge wing - your resale market has just shrinked significantly.... Seriously it look like someone has nicked the nice 18" alloys and replaced them with an old pair from a mazda 6 or something

It would want to be a good discount to warrant it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Rear left tire looks like its not wairing evenly (scrubbed on the outside only).

My car tracks a bit to the left and was told its camber problem, tyers look just like that.
    Lovely looking car though.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I can get it OTR for about 30k which is about 6 less then the cheapest one on carzone at the moment. I know it needs a nice set of wheels (those are standard on the jap ones apparently) and tints then its a very impressive car.

Is there a way of seeing exactly what model it is by having the chassis number?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

....just a note: it's only 1304cc physically, but it's 1.8 for tax, and the hi-power one is rated by Hibernian as 2600cc........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote:
    ....just a note: it's only 1304cc physically, but it's 1.8 for tax, and the hi-power one is rated by Hibernian as 2600cc........

I think it could be more for tax :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I'm almost certain its taxed at 1.8

tax is 1.8

rear wing on that mings very very hard

you may also have difficulty insuring an import

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Yes the RX-8 is classed as 1.8 litre for tax. It was the old RX-7 that was classed as 2.6 litre for tax afaik despite being 1300cc also.

Still a disgrace though that the government can justify a 1300cc engine being taxed as 1.8 litre irrespecitve of the mechanics under the bonet.

Hi if anyone is interested I am selling mine. Its on carzone here
    http://www.usedcars.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=606999
    Will give a discount to any bordies. Low milage, irish car. Price is ono
    Going back to college so need money

I'll allow the pimping for now, fitzgeme ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

I heard a rumour, that some guys on the irish-rotary club were getting Motor assessors to check and prove the RX7/8 was only a 1.3 litre car, and to be taxed as such, by signing off on the car, and informing the Revenue. I think one guy has gotten this changed on his motortax.

If this was the case, I'd say you'd see the value of the RX7s/8s go up ! 1.3 litre tax, with tonnes of power.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

ondafly wrote:
    I heard a rumour, that some guys on the irish-rotary club were getting Motor assessors to check and prove the RX7/8 was only a 1.3 litre car, and to be taxed as such, by signing off on the car, and informing the Revenue. I think one guy has gotten this changed on his motortax.

If this was the case, I'd say you'd see the value of the RX7s/8s go up ! 1.3 litre tax, with tonnes of power.
    Interesting...reckon I'd def get one next year if that were the case.

if the couple of hundred quid in tax is gonna swing it for ya i wouldnt get one, the circa 20mpg is more of a concern :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭ondafly

Cyrus wrote:
    if the couple of hundred quid in tax is gonna swing it for ya i wouldnt get one, the circa 20mpg is more of a concern :D

lol - I already pay the high bracket on my car with 18mpg. and you are very optimistic if you think a Rotary is gonna get 20mpg - friends one happily got 13/14mpg in traffic :D

• Advertisement

I get about 23 Mpg and all I do is drive round town. about 27 on long journey. But I am a very economical driver ;)

Advertisement