Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mobiles have more bacteria than toilet seats

• 26-01-2007 3:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭

Just Read this and i must say i am surperised

would you guys agree with it ?
    The hypochondriacs among us might want to stop reading now.

Still there? Well, you might rush out and get some antibacterial wipes once you've finished reading this one. Seems an outfit called Dial-a-Phone went and conducted a health study on common objects that we humans use everyday. One of the results was that our good old mobile phones have more bacteria per square millimeter than your keyboard, the bottoms of your shoes, and even a toilet seat. That's right, the mobile phone is officially the most-infected device known to man.

Remember your mother telling you that shaking someone's hand is much more dangerous in terms of infection than kissing? It's like that. Your hands touch way more things during any given day than your lips ever do, and your mobile phone tops even that. Further, the kind of bacteria that is commonly found in skin thrives in warm environments, like pants pockets, purses, and briefcases. The more you carry your mobile around with you and use it, the more bacteria piles up on its surface, just waiting to infect you or anyone who touches it.

Now, obviously, no one is dying from contact with a bacteria-infested mobile phone. But this is definitely something to take note of, even moreso than the warnings about keeping your keyboards and desk workspaces clean (which many people ignore, anyway). After all, your phone touches your hands, ears, and face many times each day. Who knows how many low-level infections your mobile is carrying around with it?
    http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/340/C11401/

Eww *washes k800 in warm soapy water*

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Yep and so do keyboards so stop typing :)
    Just think about where your phone has been over its life

this bit of news is out ages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

/puts phone in washing machine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

/puts phone in washing machine
    Now bring it back in and demand a replacement :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

disturbing to say the least but ah well can't spend life worrying about there things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,375 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

probably depends on who's phone they tested, and if the toilet seat had been recently cleaned, guess its wise to stay away from second hand phones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

That isn't nice to know. But it wouldn't stop me using a phone. Sure how about the keyboards in internet cafes, imagine the amount of bacteria there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

not surprising in the least tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Cue a new product from Dettol "Mobile-Clean" and a few articles on "how to keep your phone clean". Too much information in the world on really silly things tbh.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Note from Doctor to boss:

"Faceman wont be in work today cos he has ebola which he contracted from calling in sick this morning on his mobile."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pansy Potter

I heard that if you put your mobile in the microwave for 5 minutes at the highest setting it will sterilise it, and also there's no risk of water damage to the phone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

I heard that if you put your mobile in the microwave for 5 minutes at the highest setting it will sterilise it, and also there's no risk of water damage to the phone.
    you are joking right? a mobile in a microwave would probably explode. i know from personal experience that if you put a cd in the mircowave lightning shoots out of it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,032 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Fecking hell, those bacteria are everywhere. If only our bodies had some way of defending us against them.

I'm really not surprised, given the amount of grime that tends to build up on mine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Not too keen on microwaving my mobi. What's wrong with surgical wipes?

Advertisement