Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weeks notice for bills?

Options
  • 26-01-2007 3:29pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Some of you might remember I posted a little while ago about a problem with my flatmate, who wasn't paying bills. Well, I got the money out of her and told her that, in future, she must pay immediately.

The gas and electricity bill arrived on Wednesday, and I showed it to her. It's payable immediately, and there's no direct debit or anything set up for it. I left out a note this morning, asking her to leave out her share for it today, or tomorrow morning at the latest, as I need to pay it. She replied to my note, saying that she'd appreciate a weeks notice when it came to paying bills, as "this is standard practice". Now, I've never heard this before but is she right? Am I obliged to give a weeks notice? And then how do I go about demanding the money a week later? Do I leave the bill out with the date the payment is due from her in big red writing?

The other thing is, if the bill isn't paid within a week, they send a reminder notice, so I assumed I'm expected to pay the bill as soon as I receive it?

Cheers (again)!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Lol.....this is classic :rolleyes:

I'm sure the bill arrives at the same time every month so they've got a month's notice already.

Such a petty person whoever they are!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭bill_ashmount

Get her out of the house if possible, no point in having to live with a pain in the arse like that....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭BC

You can only give her the notice that the biller gives you. As soon as a bill arrives, open it and leave it out. As someone else said she knows how frequent they are, sounds like shes just being awkward!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Faith wrote:
    She replied to my note, saying that she'd appreciate a weeks notice when it came to paying bills, as "this is standard practice".
    Standard Practice? - Its your house - YOU decide what 'standard practice' is.
    Faith wrote:
    The other thing is, if the bill isn't paid within a week, they send a reminder notice, so I assumed I'm expected to pay the bill as soon as I receive it
    You learn a lot about someone simply by seeing who pays their rent/bills on time without having to be asked for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,397 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A weeks notice would be nice and usual. However, make out a schedule of when every bill is due and tell her "Electricity bill is due on the XXth, its usually about £XX and is due for payment on the XXth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement