Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Friday Night - Quietish Pub in the City Centre?

Options
  • 26-01-2007 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭

Looking for a few suggestions for tonight - interested in somewhere that's likely to have seats and a level of noise that makes conversation easy. Ideally the Guinness will be good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

O'Sullivans off O'Connell Bridge was quiet that Friday night me and my homies entered. Guinness good, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

It can be luck of the draw really..

-Bankers on Trinity Street (http://www.dublinpubscene.com/thepubs/thebankers.html) can be quiet on a Friday night.
    -Bowe's, just off Dolier Street is nice, and only really full on Saturdays.
    -Any of the bars in the big hotels will have seats, and soft background music. Pricey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,309 ✭✭✭markpb

Nealsons on Capel street, just off the quays. Usually quiet enough to be nice without being tomb-like. No idea about the Guinness though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

I second that about the Bankers although it gets a little busy before the comedy thing starts. Nice spot for a few drinks and a chatter.

Where exactly are Bowe's and O'Sullivans lads? Always looking to try a new quietish place.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

O'Sullivan's is on Westmoreland Street and Bowes is on Fleet Street. O'Sullivans is a small door, adjoining the Bridge Bar, near the Bewleys on Westmoreland Street. Generally to find a quiet pub, the thing to do is to go a bit away from the very centre of the city. You can be 10 or 15 minutes walk from Temple Bar, where people are fighting at the bar to get served, and be in a pub where there is hardly anyone there. Some of the pubs aren't quite as nice, but they are quiet and you can have a chat. Go down the quays a bit or towards Gardiner Street or the IFSC, anywhere away from the centre of the city, even just a short distance as I say, and you'll be amazed how quiet some pubs are, compared to ones only about 10 minutes away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Flukey wrote:
    O'Sullivan's is on Westmoreland Street
    This is true. My mistake, I didn't mean O'Sullivan's. There's a pub on Aston Quay, just off O'Connell Bridge/Westmoreland St, which was quiet. It's before the Supervalu on Aston Quay, just beside the Centra on Westmoreland St, I think the building is called Ballast House (jaysis, detailed enough directions??).

That would be Fitzgerald's, if it is still called that, formerly the Daniel O'Connell. A long narrow pub, with a large section at the back. Yes, that can be quiet, though it is a long time since I was in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Bachelors Inn on bachelors quay...very quiet old school pub, guinness quality is good

Is bowes some kinda gay bar nowadays? Last time i nipped in there for a quick pint before catching a bus some big dude was coming onto me. Weird

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Grogan's on South William St. Area around it is usually hopping if you want to move on from there. Guinness is great too. Ended up there last weekend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭g-punkteffekt

stop telling people about bowes I don't want it to get busy!!

• Advertisement

Ah sure we don't want you getting lonely G-punkteffekt. :)

So Reactor, did you find somewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Stayed out of town in the end. But its all useful info for future friday nights.

All our hard work was not in vain then. :)

Advertisement