Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Benefits for a pregnant co-habiting spouse

• 26-01-2007 3:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 42

Hi,
    I wonder can anyone help. My brother's pregnant girlfriend has recently moved over here from the UK. He's irish and has been working in Dublin for the past year. She's English and has decided to move over here to be with my brother. He has been told by social welfare that she is not entitled to any benefits at all because she is living with him. His take home pay each month is 2100Euro and their rent is 1000 Euro a month, which doesn't really leave a lot left for 2 people. I find it hard to believe that she is not entitled to anything. Does anyone else know of a similar situation? Is it true that she should not be entitled to anything? She cannot get a job here because of being pregnant. I'd appreciate any info. I have looked at the citizens information website but it is so confusing, it's hard find relevant information there.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭foxy06

Is she not entitled to maternity pay from back in the UK. If not how pregnant is she? If she isn't showing yet and got a job for a few weeks here afaik she will get maternity benefit, although this may not happen as she isn't living here very long. She is definitely not entitled to anything else though as she is co habiting but your brother would be entitled to rent relief if he is not already claiming that from the revenue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

Was she paying PRSI in the UK? If yes, she can use those contributions to help her qualify for Jobseeker's Benefit here. However she would need at least 1 reckonable paid Irish contribution here (at class A,H or P) in order to add her UK contributions to her Irish ones to help her qualify for benefit.
    I presume she went for Jobseeker's Allowance (the means tested payment ) and her means may have been greater than the personal rate payable to her, so she wouldn't qualify.

Advertisement