Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade or buy a new system

Options
  • 26-01-2007 4:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭

My system specs are the following:

AMD 64 3700+
    Dfi Lanparty nf4 sli -d
    2*(1gig) GEIL PC3200 RAM ***BROKEN***
    NVIDIA Geforce 7800GT 256mb
    Hiper HPU-4B580 Type R 580W Modular ATX2.2 PSU - Blue
    ANTEC P160 Case

My RAM keeps coming up with errors on memtest and the DVD or CD drives
    barely work at all. They are very slow and unstable when in windows and booting
    from them is slow.

So I know I have to get new RAM which will cost over 150 euro. So should I get
    the new RAM or just sell the individual parts on www.adverts.ie and build a
    new PC from scratch.

I've been thinking about building a new PC because I'd like a DX10 GPU and I'd
    also like a dual core CPU. I was planning on buying a X2 during the summer
    anyway. So I can add an extra 230 euro onto the 150 euro RAM.

So spend around 380 euro fixing/upgrading this PC or sell all the parts and
    build a new one?

Also do you think people will be interested in these parts on www.adverts.ie ?

Cheers,
    B.W

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

Well I'm sure you will find buyers for some of the parts at least but it's impossible to say if everything will get sold.

The only problem you have is the RAM in the previous thread like I mentioned did you remove one of the RAM modules so you could identify the defective one of the pair ?

If you do then that all it means is you need another 1GB of RAM to be back in business.

Building a new PC will require a new motherboard/CPU/RAM at minimum.

Your going to be spending several hundred euro to replace that setup with something faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Add another 7800 and upgrade the cpu to a opty 165/170 and get 2gb or new ram. Then just overclock it to its max.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Don't a lot of brand name ram come with a life time warranty?
    You should see if your ram does and if you can avail of it.

I say don't upgrade until the pc pisses you off, eg. low fps in games you want to play, doesn't encode video as fast as you need it to, stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Col_Loki

Don't a lot of brand name ram come with a life time warranty?
    You should see if your ram does and if you can avail of it.

I say don't upgrade until the pc pisses you off, eg. low fps in games you want to play, doesn't encode video as fast as you need it to, stuff like that.

Definetly with tuxy on that. Try to sort out your current rig as cheaply as possible......I would'nt go spending money on a 939 system, its using DDR1 ram and AMD's CPU range is depleting for that socket.

If your going to be spending money on a new CPU and Ram, then spend it on a Core2 & DDR2.......performance/cost wise it makes the most sense and is also going to be much more future proofed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

Well the PC is kinda bugging me. So I guess Ill be selling this on adverts.
    The desire to build a new PC is what really is making me want to sell it. I have
    a laptop that I can play games on until the summer comes.

AMD 64 3700+
    Should be safe to sell this. Its working fine.
    Dfi Lanparty nf4 sli -d
    I presume this is fine. No reason to think otherwise I guess.
    2*(1gig) GEIL PC3200 RAM ***BROKEN***
    I ram memtest on both sticks. One stick has errors and the other shows none.
    Took two nights to do. But its worth doing I guess. Is it okay to still sell this
    for of course a lot less? I havent got any receipt so I can RMA it :(
    NVIDIA Geforce 7800GT 256mb
    This is an amazing GFX card, working great.
    Hiper HPU-4B580 Type R 580W Modular ATX2.2 PSU - Blue
    Nothing wrong with this unless it somehow breaks ram.
    ANTEC P160 Case
    I'll try sell this but I havent seen towers sell on boards.
    Raptor 36gig SATA
    I never got around to fixing the boot sector on this. So how much cheaper
    will I have to sell this? I was thinking of selling it for 85euro originally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

well if ur urpgrading on a buget have a look at conzymathers posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

I won't be buying a new PC until May at the earliest! :eek:

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Im in the same boat at the minute, something is stopping me from running 2 sticks of ram (hopefully the ram so i can get a crucial rma)

But i need an upgrade to 2gigs of ram, and a dual core CPU would really help my Video editing so the plan is to keep everything and get a E4300, an ASUS P5H-E and 2gigs of DDR2 which comes to around €500..

I would really hate to have to invest in more DDR1 or a s939 CPU, and I just dont trust my DFI anymore <_<

Advertisement