Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats on your bench? This is what I got...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Yeah i can imagine the amount of decals that would need to go on to a racing bike. And all very small id say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Didnt get much done tonight. Had plans of finishing the primeing on the farings, and having the insides of the them painted black.
    Had given em a little sand, and was givin em a coat of primer, when black lumpy gunk started commin out of the airbrush.
    So I ended up strippin it and cleanin it all night..:mad:
    Tomorrow .. ill get LOADs done..:D

Right, the fairing parts, were primed with black lumpy bits. So I had to rub them down with 1200 wet paper. I then primed them again and gave them a rub of 3600 micromesh polishing cloth with water (like very fine sand paper).
    Primed parts.jpg

I then cleaned all the parts with a tack cloth after they had dried an painted the inside areas with semi gloss black, as these areas will be made to look like carbon fibre.
    Parts black.jpg

I want to leave them over night before I do anything more so the paint is nice and dry and doesnt take finger prints.

I can tell if im doing good work by how messy me bench gets.... good work here..
    mess2.jpg

Got all the Carbon fibre effect done tonight.
    First thing to do is mix some light gold coloured paint (i used Tamiya Titanium gold) with thinner, to make it fairly watery. About 70% thinner.
    Then on the area you want the carbon fiber effect you put a mesh over it, quite tight to the part you want covered. I use left over stuff from car models.
    On a irregularly shaped part, do a bit at a time.

Mesh.jpg

You then Airbrush over the mesh with low pressure. It is important that the mesh doesnt move at all while airbrushing, and also leave the paint to dry for a couple of mins before removing the mesh. Otherwise it will smudge the gold.
    You end up with this.

Carbon1.jpg

You then coat the whole thing in gloss clear. It is important to watch what type of paint you use. For example, I used Tamiya Acrylic gold, so I cannot use a similar clear or it will dissolve the gold and will leave it smudged. I used Ronseal quick drying gloss varnish :D
    I am experimenting with Johnsons Kleer floor shine at the min, cos its supposed to be great for this kinda thing.. but im not putting it on this model till im sure.
    Now tomorrow.. its onto the main body colours...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭BFassassin

Looks really good and a nice tip for doing the carbon fibre.

• Advertisement

BFassassin wrote:
    Looks really good and a nice tip for doing the carbon fibre.
    Its a messy way to do it, you always end up with gold fingers (but worth it)..... you can also buy sheets of carbon fibre decals, which I have tried but didnt like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭odonnell

390475228_076c02350a.jpg?v=0
    390475736_c8675a751e.jpg?v=0

need to stick the electronics in, and bolt down the engine - then complete the airframe. I made the dubious mistake of sliding the prop onto the shaft and it took me half an hour getting it back off to put the nose cone etc on properly. So ill not show the pic of my 50 engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

What frequancy is that radio?

erm 35.something mate...

uh oh... its wrong innit? :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Don't worry - that's perfectly right for sunny ole Ireland !

• Advertisement

yeap thats the right one;)

jaysus yous had me concerned there.

i snuck some prep time in at lunch - prepped the tail section for fixing, and found a lovely location for the receiver, cut a wee hole and installed my switch protruding from the side of the plane (instead of internally), put battery pack and controller onto charge, and lined up my servos for screwing in!

Phew...

All thats left after that is the fixing down of the engine (screws and nuts / drill bits bought tonight) and the installation of the wheels (which ive left until last to cut awkwardness)

now - if anyone would care to show me how to fly the bugger :)

odonnell wrote:
    now - if anyone would care to show me how to fly the bugger :)
    *looks at coolwings*

Ehh you might want to make sure its balanced:rolleyes:
    :D

ah yes i forgot to add that one into the list, but yup will do. got my extra strong velcro strips on the stand by for strategic placement of the batt pack.

Are you the chap that spoke to Gary (the chairman) from the Kestrel Model Flying club last week?
    They are organising a club evening in a couple of weeks time in Tallaght, where new members can bring along their models to get them "pre-flight inspection" checked, and final adjustments made.
    The idea is it eliminates frustration occurring out at the Kestrel club flying field on the weekend, where due to technical problems a "newbie" can't get to fly his new model that day.
    The instructors also avoid wasting their day off in adjusting beginners models, instead of actually doing the more important teaching them to fly bit.
    Date for this is not yet picked but will be in the next week.
    The reason I'm mentioning it - if you haven't actually joined up yet - you would not be automatically informed - so it would be up to you to ask. So maybe make contact over the weekend?

aye mate that was myself - after i spoke to gary i went straight out and bought the plane ya know? So - making fair old progress like but wasnt so clear afterwards as to what would be best to do - ie. is there a day like you mention (thank goodness) or is it a case of just trundling along one weekend when everyones flying...

So cheers for clearing that up mate - hopefully the plane will be ready for whenever the testing day will be. Ive not joined up yet - i think that was going to follow on from me attending one of these days so...

Cheers again... If you could keep me informed?

odonnell wrote:
    .... If you could keep me informed?
    I am not on the committee.
    But I can PM you a copy of whatever notice I receive myself. When I get one.
    That is where calling Gary might get you notice more time in advance .

Either way it's during the next 2-3 weeks.

Either way we will be up at the field flying Sundays once weather is reasonable.
    Also Sats, and midweek evenings later on when it gets warmer.
    :)

is this what they call thread hijack?:D :D

Yeap:D Were the worst on boards.ie for it. Though at one stage on after hours they were talking about the forums 7th birthday and then it ended you discussing the physics of gay sex:eek:

Hmm .... I don't think we should veer that far off topic right now eh Plug?

;)

• Advertisement

true true:D

Remember we started talking about wine from lidl and oh the power tools.

The last few nights were spent masking. I had to mask all the areas of the fairing that were to remain black(CF). This job is a pain in the hole! But i suppose its gotta be done. I use Tamiya masking tape. It comes in 6mm wide rolls, so its handy for this sorta thing. Also its easy to cut into the shape you need with a sharp knife.
    parts masked.jpg

So after that I gave it one last coat of primer, and had to stop meself going any further.
    Last priming.jpg

I want to leave it until tomorrow before I rub it with 12000 micromesh polishing cloth, and then give it the colour coat. It was gettin late and I knew I would end up rushing things..and thats when ye make a mess o somthing and end up throwin it across the room!

I got my electronics fitted, servos connected, engine positioned, and wings/tail/wheels all fitted and tested at the weekend there. So the plane is ready to roll or, fly - once i get the engine run-in obviously.

I did ingest some fuel somehow though the tingling disappeared after an hour or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

odonnell wrote:
    I did ingest some fuel somehow though the tingling disappeared after an hour or two.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

these things happen...
    (i dont have a pump to empty the bugger yet)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭Revalco

The Doktor, stunning work ;)

One question tho, where do I get a bike like that?

Revalco wrote:
    The Doktor, stunning work ;)

One question tho, where do I get a bike like that?
    Cheers,
    Its a Tamiya 1/12 model, so anywhere that stock Tamiya will have them.
    There are other brands, but none come close to tamiya, specially for motorbikes. Everything fits together so well. And the detail is second to none. I only add detail cos I`m not well:D

Marks Models in dublin do them. But I usually get them online from www.netmerchants.co.uk
    www.hannants.co.uk
    www.modelsinmotion.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭mcgarnicle

The Doktor that is some really impressive work, top notch stuff. I'm just new to modelling, I'm not really into bikes, more jets etc but I think your patient approach of being meticulous with each part is really the way to go.

I am curious though, I've had a look in Mark's models and found their range of tools etc fairly small, where would you recomend for getting things like an airbrush or that handy stand you have for holding the parts as you paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Cmar-Ireland

Doktor, I'm interested in trying out an airbrush, what do you recommend for a complete beginner? I have a 25l compressor so I would just need a moisture trap for that. I assume the gravity cup fed brushes are easier to use and clean?

Thanks

• Advertisement

mcgarnicle wrote:
    The Doktor that is some really impressive work, top notch stuff. I'm just new to modelling, I'm not really into bikes, more jets etc but I think your patient approach of being meticulous with each part is really the way to go.

I am curious though, I've had a look in Mark's models and found their range of tools etc fairly small, where would you recomend for getting things like an airbrush or that handy stand you have for holding the parts as you paint.

I find the same with the dublin model shops... you go into buy paint, and their stands only have the colours that dont sell left! I understand their problems etc... but it means I end up buying most things online.

The stand I got in Models in Motion.
    http://www.modelsinmotion.co.uk/product.asp?productid=3221&catCode=81&tamiya=273
    I get a lot of stuff like that from there, like brushes etc.
    But I also find a wander around the likes of Mcquillans tool in blanch to be well worth it. I got lots of good stuff there, like needle files, mini-bench vise, tweesers, minidrill.
    One thing I have that I would be lost without is little plastic clamps, you will see them in one of the pics I posted. You can clamp parts while glue is drying, hold stuff to paint. I got them in Mcquillans, but have seen em in woodies.
    Anytime I see one of those Craft type shops, I go in and have a look. Well worth it, you always pick somthing up thats usefull... like the little sticks I have (for mixing paint, holding parts with.. making things out of em too)

The Airbrush I use is a Tamiya one. Its excellent, but hard to get. I got it from the states. Only thing is, its hard to get spare parts for.... no.. impossible.
    I also have 2 others, one was cheap that I got in a shop in Milan..but actually quite good! I use this for primer mainly.
    Also I have an Aztek one. These are a great starter airbrush. I have heard people say, they are the best for models, but after using the Tamiya one I would never go back to the aztek.
    The Tamiya airbrush is made by the same company who make Iwata airbrushes(rolls royce of airbrushes), and If I ever buy one again, it will be Iwata, cos you can get spares easily (but they do cost a lot!!)
    Have a look at the thread with model pics, I have a pic of an f-15 all done with the Tamiya airbrush. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=50645790#post50645790

Advertisement