Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Favourite Bar (City & County)

• 26-01-2007 4:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭

Partially because the weekend is upon us and also partially because of the "Favourite Shop In Waterford" thread I have been thinking, what would be classed as waterfords favourite bar ?

Unable to come up with a definitive answer myself I put it to you. Whats your favourite bar in the County, and more importantly why ? (I wont include a poll because its too limited).

Formerly I would have said Egans, a nice bar, the pints were reasonable and on a Summers day it was nice to sit in the beer garden and just watch what was going on, since they've closed (a good while now) I guess ill have to nominate somewhere else.

I quite like Geoffs, except for the fact it gets so crowded everyone is shoving everyone out of the way because its so narrow.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Downes.....
    ....cos it's dark and quiet, the staff are sound and the locals are friendly. They also do a killer whiskey there as well. I've been drinking there as long as I've been drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Downes, no question, for all the reason Roen said.

Honourable mentions:
    Geoffs
    Jack Meades

Haven't been in too many pubs around the county in recent years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

Don't really have a favourite but I go to Uluru & Oskers frequently because I live close by.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Bit of bias here cos I work there, but the Baldyman in Tramore is good, mainly cos its really the only place in Tramore to go (after the other pubs close).

But, in town, I don't think ya can beat Revolution(s?). I love that place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

t&h's and the mansion aint to bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Downes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Geoff's, no contest... like all the best things about Waterford; Dunmore East, Blaas, Mount Congreve, Waterford Treasures, L'Atmosphere, the Book Centre; we need to pinch ourselves sometimes to realise just how lucky we are.

I love the beer garden in Harvey's too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,690 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm interested to know what you thought of L'Atmosphere, only heard of it recently and was thinking of booking for a group, what did you think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

looksee wrote:
    I'm interested to know what you thought of L'Atmosphere, only heard of it recently and was thinking of booking for a group, what did you think?

I went there just on spec with a mate of mine because we were hungry and saw the early bird menu for €20. I'd never been before.

Portions were smallish, more to French than Irish tastes, but we stuff our faces too much in this country. I lived in France for a while and people never stopped telling me I'd lost weight :)

Either way, I didn't leave hungry. The starter was a lovely frothy soup, then cassoulet (beans, chicken and sausage - a real toulousain dish) for main course, and a lovely custardy/forest-fruits thing for dessert.

I loved it but if you're about tomorrow evening and don't mind eating a bit early, drop in for the early bird - it won't empty your pockets and you'll form your own opinion.

I couldn't praise it highly enough though. It's more like a restaurant in France than a French restaurant in Ireland, if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

where exactly is l'atmosphere? I'm out of country at moment, France as it happens Fricatus, I know what you're saying about the food, sometimes it's ridiculous though, went for dinner with work one time, had 3 course meal, some wine and water, overall around 50 euro at least, paid for by work, and I came out of the place more hungry than I went in.
    Still though, nothing beats the "coziness" of a French restaurant.

As for bars, Geoffs is alright, in heart of drinking area in town, and thankfully the 18 year old scangers stay down in Masons and wherever. No offence to those who drink in Masons :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭tonc76

Fat Sam's and Trump's in town :D:D

Haughton's in the country (its the tiny place on the left on the N25 before you get to Carroll's Cross)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭kano476

Minto wrote:
    Bit of bias here cos I work there, but the Baldyman in Tramore is good, mainly cos its really the only place in Tramore to go (after the other pubs close).

But, in town, I don't think ya can beat Revolution(s?). I love that place.

maybe i'm biased because im barred from there minto but the baldy is a steaming heap of cack. there is not atmosphere, the bouncers are tossers, downstairs is dead and the drink is overpriced and gets more expensive as the night goes on. and the fact that they charge you to come in when its clearly 11.50 and not 12 o clock. its true that there is no other alternative in tramore really at the moment, hope they do a good job on storm and make a decent nightclub. The grand has a late bar but its a weird crowd in there.
    The vic is the best pub in tramore but theres a bit of snobbery going on some nights in there.

my Favourite pub in waterford is geoffs but i also like the bank(when it was open), three shippes (for the grub) and the uluru.

Dan133269 wrote:
    where exactly is l'atmosphere?

its just next to the wine vault, down from christchurch cathedral. havent been yet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

kano476 wrote:
    maybe i'm biased because im barred from there minto but the baldy is a steaming heap of cack. there is not atmosphere, the bouncers are tossers, downstairs is dead and the drink is overpriced and gets more expensive as the night goes on. and the fact that they charge you to come in when its clearly 11.50 and not 12 o clock. its true that there is no other alternative in tramore really at the moment, hope they do a good job on storm and make a decent nightclub. The grand has a late bar but its a weird crowd in there.
    The vic is the best pub in tramore but theres a bit of snobbery going on some nights in there.

Im not barred, and iv been down there a good few times for partys, work etc. and I was never that fond of it myself. Although, I find most of the bouncers are grand. Depends if you like their sense of humour I guess!

You summarized it nicely but failed to mention the fact its under-age-heven (amount of kids at 14 iv seen in there is pathetic) and there is an awful scummy crowd down their dealing etc. The baldy man takes in anyone. Iv also heard of staff going around pointing out people they dont like to bouncers and asking them to remove them etc. Sad really! Nightclubs in Tramore are pathetic. Dont mind the Forum or the Bowery in Waterford for nightclubs. Pubs in Tramore:- The Vic. Worked there, always enjoyed the crack and atmosphere. Probably one of the better pubs in Tramore, but I agree on the snobbery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭rogue-entity

The Old Ledger in Tramore wasnt too bad, though I was only ever in their the odd time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

Nells (good vibes, good music, no bs)
    Downses
    Geoffs
    Murphs (tramore)

If you want some 'old waterford charm'

Caulfields (pool table)
    the Ritz tramore (pool table)
    Barrs
    the tap Room

Nathan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Downes but I haven't been there in years...was always something special..there was something more to it than just a pub. If u are heading out towards Uluru then keep going a little further on to Jack Meades, a lovely spot...avoid the summer Sunday evenings though..nightmare.

Downes but I haven't been there in years...was always something special..there was something more to it than just a pub. If u are heading out towards Uluru then keep going a little further on to Jack Meades, a lovely spot...avoid the summer Sunday evenings though..nightmare.

It's only packed on those evenings because it is most pleasant spot you could possibly be within a mile of the city. Bottle of cider & glass with ice outside in Jack Meades on a summer's evening (weekend) is a must, imho. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Anyone remember Micky Kent's out in Newtown, near Kilmacthomas? Was a bit special to say the least!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

Dan133269 wrote:
    where exactly is l'atmosphere? I'm out of country at moment, France as it happens Fricatus, I know what you're saying about the food, sometimes it's ridiculous though, went for dinner with work one time, had 3 course meal, some wine and water, overall around 50 euro at least, paid for by work, and I came out of the place more hungry than I went in.
    Still though, nothing beats the "coziness" of a French restaurant.

As for bars, Geoffs is alright, in heart of drinking area in town, and thankfully the 18 year old scangers stay down in Masons and wherever. No offence to those who drink in Masons :D

This from a 20 year old :rolleyes: I see very few scangers get into masons to be honest.

I like Geoffs but it tends to be full of pretentious wannabes who think they're better than everyone else.

There are no decent bars in this town. I used to like shefflins, egans and the old stand but they went by the wayside. wacky apple is too small....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

oh yeah, on a warm sunny day the beer garden is stunning in Jack's but I love the cold winter nights with the fire roaring etc..mind U I only ever to get down there now over the Christmas period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,584 ✭✭✭c - 13

fade2black wrote:
    I like Geoffs but it tends to be full of pretentious wannabes who think they're better than everyone else.

I agree with you on this but almost every bar/club can be stereotyped as having a certain set of drinkers
    Masons - Scumbags
    10 - Underage
    Rubies/Masons - Old Women
    and so on.

Its a shame because often when i'm walking down the street you hear people saying "Oh you dont want to go to that place, only <Insert General Stereotype> drink there."

Good call on Jack Meades there too.

c - 13 wrote:
    I agree with you on this but almost every bar/club can be stereotyped as having a certain set of drinkers
    Masons - Scumbags
    10 - Underage
    Rubies/Masons - Old Women
    and so on.

Its a shame because often when i'm walking down the street you hear people saying "Oh you dont want to go to that place, only <Insert General Stereotype> drink there."

Good call on Jack Meades there too.

Waterford cracks me, there only a handful of nightclubs, but do you think people chop and change, not a bit of it. :D

exactly! tramore crew go out in town and go to revo and rubys and then complain about how crap rubys is becasue they have no imagination and wont go anywhere else. sickens me to the core.

kano476 wrote:
    exactly! tramore crew go out in town and go to revo and rubys and then complain about how crap rubys is becasue they have no imagination and wont go anywhere else. sickens me to the core.

And depending on who you ask in Waterford the only nightclubs are either Ruby's & Muldoons, or the Forum and the Bowery. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Personally I like Paul Flynns, But thats because its one of the only places that have metals gigs.

Personally I like Paul Flynns, But thats because its one of the only places that have metals gigs.

Had heard that there was metal in Paul Flynn's. Although I have yet to see any evidence that it is not just a tiny little bar defended by odd tricky looking locals. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Right then , if you want evidence, I shall post here in teh waterford forum next time there is a metal gig on and you can come down a check it out for yourself ;) .

"tricky looking locals" what does that mean?

Its actually a good laugh when some of the locals/people not there for teh music ,during the gigs they seem to be intreguied by the whole affair, and some will actually stay and listen to the music, even though it is deafening.:) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

That pub is full of the dodgiest looking boggies I've ever come across.

• Advertisement

Right then , if you want evidence, I shall post here in teh waterford forum next time there is a metal gig on and you can come down a check it out for yourself ;) .

"tricky looking locals" what does that mean?

Its actually a good laugh when some of the locals/people not there for teh music ,during the gigs they seem to be intreguied by the whole affair, and some will actually stay and listen to the music, even though it is deafening.:) :D

Good stuff. :)

Ah ye know, 'tricky looking'... ;)

Deafening would be a bit loud for me, but I likes the 'oul bit of rock. :)

Advertisement