Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Favourite Bar (City & County)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

In all honesty ive only been there during the metal gigs that have been on there, but from what I have seen of the locals they seem no worse then any onther pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

In all honesty ive only been there during the metal gigs that have been on there, but from what I have seen of the locals they seem no worse then any onther pub.

Ah I'm sure they're grand, I'm only messin'. :) (They did look tricky though! :eek: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Lol :) when I asked before I was being sincere I actually dont know what tricky means. I assume it means the same as dodgy?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

fade2black wrote:
    I like Geoffs but it tends to be full of pretentious wannabes who think they're better than everyone else.

Thats like the sister pub of The Vic in Tramore. Nice place all the same tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Martha's in Tramore is your only man.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Roen wrote:
    Martha's in Tramore is your only man.

"your only man"?!

Thats my grans pub, and funnily enough - it does attract both young and old!! Espically during the Races.

As in the only place to go. Love that place.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Ahh fav pubs.. a topic I'm fond of.. :)

Waterford:

Geoffs: During the week is nice and chilled, too packed at weekends
    Jack Meades: During those long warm summer evenings, lazing on top of the old lime kilin with a nice cool pint!!! nyom nyom :D
    During the winter with a big blazing fire and the odd time some live music
    Tom Mahers: Cant beat a warm large bottle of Carling off the shelf :p

Tramore:

Marthas: Mad quirky pub, but nice all the same
    Crokes: The same, good for a quiet pint
    The Vic: Has a bit of life to it during the winter which most of Tramore lacks and a find beer garden during the summer.
    Rockets: Class food... nyom nyom :D

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Hissing Sideban

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Ahh fav pubs.. a topic I'm fond of.. :)

Waterford:

Geoffs: During the week is nice and chilled, too packed at weekends

D

I always thought to myself "fair play to Geoffs for having a sound system that didn't dominate the pub" Most other pubs downtown are all 'boom boom' bass and 'teesh teeesh' shower of razorblades treble.
    Impossible to have a converstation - (although some say that this is a deliberate ploy as the less people talk, the more they drink!)
    I think that part of the reason that the Geoffs sound was mellow, subtle, but not dominating is because most of the speakers in there are Hi Fi speakers, not PA speakers.
    However, lately I have noticed that the sound system is creeping up in volume, and it seems to have got worse since they got rid of the Minidiscs and got a computer playout system - no doubt someone has all the bass and treble boosted.
    I was in there yesterday afternoon, and it was noticably more empty than it used to be for this time of day, possible one contributing factor could have been that the sound level wouldn't have been out of place in Masons! (OK, slight exaggeration, but you get my point!)

Had to leave after one drink, and I was going to get some food, but it was not relaxing enough atmosphere there.

I always assumed Geoff himself must have stopped the natural inclination of pub bar staff to turn up the music too loud (so they can hear it OK behind the bar)

Progress? Nah!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,726 ✭✭✭ec18

Geoffs and Electic Avenue for me.....Harveys ain't bad either

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Moro23

Roen wrote: »
    Anyone remember Micky Kent's out in Newtown, near Kilmacthomas? Was a bit special to say the least!

I sure do remember it I brought some friends from England there, the look on them when they walked in was priceless. It was after the fire the whole place was black you had to sit on crates the only drink was large bottles. I have photos of the place I look at them now and its hard to belive I was drinking in there.

Moro23 wrote: »
    I sure do remember it I brought some friends from England there, the look on them when they walked in was priceless. It was after the fire the whole place was black you had to sit on crates the only drink was large bottles. I have photos of the place I look at them now and its hard to belive I was drinking in there.

Great stuff, I was there after the fire myself. We had to wait until the main man was finished his plate of mash til we got served. There was a cat eating on the counter as well. I think he may have had a bottle of whiskey as well as the bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭pommers

the vic is a great pub but i also have to agree on the snobbery aswell!!
    o neills is ok for 1 on way home if ya live past the church,they sometimes have a good band! murphs in tramore is ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Roen wrote: »
    Great stuff, I was there after the fire myself. We had to wait until the main man was finished his plate of mash til we got served. There was a cat eating on the counter as well. I think he may have had a bottle of whiskey as well as the bottles.

I used to drop in occasionally it's not that far away from me, haven't been in there since it was redone.

To be honest there's very few pubs in town that aren't full of w*nkers. I always thought queing up to get into Geoffs was a bit gay. That and those who used to want to be in the window.

I liked Haughtons before they changed to using gas to pressurize the system, the kegs used to be under the counter, almost a run of three feet to the taps best stout ever. It's still a good pub.

Downeys in dungarvan used to be a good spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

anyone remember the graffiti on the side of trumps ."davy mac lives " classic and on pub names i call muldoons "fat sams "but my father has me beaten he calls it "the coach man" .not much i can add on best pubs above but when i started going to pubs first (early nineties) i did like " the royal " and "the queens " they are now called alfies lombard st (closed) and kathy barries

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

for the amount of lunatics/colourful characters that regularly attend the early morning worship... SALS on the quay deserves a mention.

Also used to love the lay out of the Royal..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 B&stard

Electric Avenue for the quality of the live music they are bringing to the town on a regular basis. Most of its free if in by 10 as well. Hotty bar staff a plus too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Chochese

The Yellow House.

Nuff said.

Chochese wrote: »
    The Yellow House.

Nuff said.

Whats that place like? Looks like a right tip from the outside.

SUNGOD wrote: »
    kathy barries

Katty Barrys(?) is that pub located in an alleyway that was recently sold? Strange taste in pubs there..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭ROCKMAN

Sully wrote: »
    Whats that place like? Looks like a right tip from the outside.

the yellowhouse is closed at moment for re-vamp new owners ..

ROCKMAN wrote: »
    the yellowhouse is closed at moment for re-vamp new owners ..

I walked past today to see a few lads smoking outside the side enterance, which was open..

A revamp is badly needed, at least on the outside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

T&H Doolins used to be a great pub but has gone downhill big time in the last few years. Never had the nerve to step inside the door of the Yellow house, looks like a right rough place.

It's not called the Blue Bottle Inn for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Katty Barrys(?) is that pub located in an alleyway that was recently sold? Strange taste in pubs there..
    Is that not up by Mount Sion school?

Kitty Kiernans is up by Mount Sion.

OK im thinking of the place beside the old ESB offices, across from the Theatre Royal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

OK im thinking of the place beside the old ESB offices, across from the Theatre Royal.

yeah thats it allright it might not look like it now but when i started drinking first it was agrand little pub . a group of us would go there every friday .as the place was so small and quiet if a big group went in together it felt like we took over the place like it was our pub for a couple of hours .i have some good memories of the place . it might seem like a strange choice now in a best pub thread but i suppose we can only post what we know and im no spring chicken it was about fifteen years ago . god 15 years ago im getting old might have to go to "motor and sport " and buy a skate board to try reclaim some of my lost youth. (motor+sport was a sport shop open around 15 years ago .think a cross between devys and alfie hales ) i know it sounds ridiculous but they were strange times ,hard times, why young people today dont know how handy they have it , when i was young etc etc etc etc .....................

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭pommers

im with ya there sungod!!!:D

• Advertisement

Strangely, a relation of mine owned that pub. She sold it up recently tho.

Advertisement