Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford's Favourite Bar (City & County)

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭SUNGOD

Sully wrote: »
    Strangely, a relation of mine owned that pub. She sold it up recently tho.

its not strange you have relations, ok maybe a little unusual but not strange .and before you reply can i just say in my defence "im sorry "

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Sungod: Please stick to the topic at hand. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Sully wrote: »
    Sungod: Please stick to the topic at hand. Thanks.

Sense of humour transplant to aisle 7 please. Sense of humour for the new mod please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

SUNGOD wrote: »
    anyone remember the graffiti on the side of trumps ."davy mac lives "

I remember that - would have been the early half of the 90s???
    Sully wrote:
    OK im thinking of the place beside the old ESB offices, across from the Theatre Royal.

Was that the Hibernian (Hi-B as we called it)??? on the corner at bank lane.

Anyone remember a pub called Rourkes - it was near the Bridge Hotel, maybe a street or two back - one of my favs when I was there in the day.

I left WIT (aka WRTC) back in 1994, think I was down briefly in 1995, and only got back down again in 2005. I was horrified to see the Old Rogue was renamed to something like The Happy Apple???

D.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Junior wrote: »
    Sense of humour transplant to aisle 7 please. Sense of humour for the new mod please.

My humour lacks when someone constantly goes off topic and posts stuff which makes no sense whatsoever.

• Advertisement

dazberry wrote: »

The Hi-B was out in Tramore.. I never knew of one in the city.. Could be wrong though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,191 ✭✭✭kensutz

I was horrified to see the Old Rogue was renamed to something like The Happy Apple???

D.

That's now called the Wacky Apple. Not a bad pub and probably one that I enjoy going to instead of getting the ears blown off me in Muldoons etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Yes, was it called Bill Martin's Hibernian Bar or something like that. Definitely known as the Hi-B though.

Anyone remember a pub called Rourkes - it was near the Bridge Hotel, maybe a street or two back - one of my favs when I was there in the day.

Yes! On the corner of Thomas St and O'Connell St... can't remember what's there now. Used to be the Blue Haven in the '80s (now I sound old). I remember going there (as Rorkes - no "U") in about '94 to see a Punk night. Brilliant craic... lads singing "999 Emergency" and "Brain Dead Baby", sort of like "Girlfriend in a Coma". Ah, the memories!

I left WIT (aka WRTC) back in 1994, think I was down briefly in 1995, and only got back down again in 2005. I was horrified to see the Old Rogue was renamed to something like The Happy Apple???

Worse again, the "Wacky Apple". Sacrilege! Wouldn't you think that anybody taking over a bar would retain the name, since it was a brand practically in itself. Waterford has never been the same since.

If Geoff's start turning the music right up so you can't hear (a la Muldoons) I won't be held liable for my actions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

anyone remember spending all their wages in bobby mcgees? probably goin back a few years with that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

longshanks wrote: »
    anyone remember spending all their wages in bobby mcgees? probably goin back a few years with that one

I even remember drinking Lawlors, and that's going back even further :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭pommers

yep i remember lawlors a pint and a game of pool friday evening after work..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Friday night circa 1991: Lawlors followed by T&H Doolins, Blue Haven, Peppermint Grove, then into Breens.

The whole night would cost less than 30 punts!

Happy Days:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭paul666

does anyone no wats going on with the sweep. i had dinner in there a few weeks ago and i went to order a pint to go with the spuds and they said that they lost their license and could only serve non-alchoholic drinks. i passed it today and saw that its up for sale and was closed

pommers wrote: »
    yep i remember lawlors a pint and a game of pool friday evening after work..:D

yeah i remember it well, there used always be a couple of young ones with dodgy perms playin pool in there on fridays. dont suppose u remember them...

Blue Haven, Peppermint Grove, then into Breens.

go on ya legend i knew i wasnt the oldest person in waterford with a computer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Hey 37 aint that old!

Well maybe on Boards.IE it is:D

shockwave wrote: »
    Hey 37 aint that old!

Well maybe on Boards.IE it is:D

your not 37 and im not 32 we are are both thirty somethings and i was being genuine anyone that can remember the peppermint grove is a legend

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭pommers

longshanks wrote: »
    yeah i remember it well, there used always be a couple of young ones with dodgy perms playin pool in there on fridays. dont suppose u remember them...

hey longshanks, that was me:D:D:eek:

small world eh? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

paul666 wrote: »
    does anyone no wats going on with the sweep. i had dinner in there a few weeks ago and i went to order a pint to go with the spuds and they said that they lost their license and could only serve non-alchoholic drinks. i passed it today and saw that its up for sale and was closed

The couple that owned have separated, so its been put for sale

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭hawkwing

The hib was in bank place down from the esb,lived opposite it in 1992

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,574 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

hawkwing wrote: »

Bill Martins?

I used to work there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

I like Geoffs. I used to love the Pulpit, partially because I worked there :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭dazberry

hawkwing wrote: »

Yeah I lived in Bank Lane around the same time, Bill was our landlord. Some of the girls in the house used to be given work in the pub from time to time - us lads on the otherhand were always viewed with suspicion and distrust :(

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Mpower85

Roen wrote: »
    Anyone remember Micky Kent's out in Newtown, near Kilmacthomas? Was a bit special to say the least!

A bit special haha! i remember i was in there when i was a kid and the smell was unreall. place was a mess boxes and rubbish everywhere but now its completely transformed with lenihans taking over!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Mpower85 wrote: »
    A bit special haha! i remember i was in there when i was a kid and the smell was unreall. place was a mess boxes and rubbish everywhere but now its completely transformed with lenihans taking over!

Try Kirwan's in Bonmahon if you want a Mickey Kents style pub, I used to have the odd jar up there ..

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Guramoogah

This is an ancient thread that somehow got resurrected. I'm not gonna check but I betcha half the pubs mentioned here have either closed down or been re-branded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Junior wrote: »
    Try Kirwan's in Bonmahon if you want a Mickey Kents style pub, I used to have the odd jar up there ..

Good old Slim :)

Mod Note:

This is a zombie thread but out of interestest it might be worth seeing what was mentioned and since shut down. mpower85 welcome to the fourm but in future please don't post on old threads such as this.

Cheers :)

Advertisement