Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are Irelandoffline's goals

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

mayhem# wrote:
    Aaah right, you didn't post this either

I did, but when taken out of context like that it means something completely different.

Anyway, I've tried the nice approach, but you've offered no meaningful debate (other than the initial topic) and just continued to troll. You don't have to agree about the troll bit (feel free to take it up in the feedback forum if you don't). You're now banned from this forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

I was waiting to see what rucksack load of gear was on special offer this week...if your lucky it will actually exist

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

<applause>

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭choicer

Hi all..first post for me and just read this entire one..lovely stuff !
    Personally I think IO is great and have been helped by one of its members on several occassions. Its great to have somewhere to go if you need answers other than relying on "your friends sisters fellas dad who knows about broadband" for answers.

Keep up the good work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Hacketry

As a long-time observer of Ireland Offline I'll throw my tuppence-worth in.

IoL does do fantatsic work in countering official spin and performs an important democratic function in bringing to public attention important issues which might not otherwise receive proper treatment in the (mostly) resource-poor Irish media.

At the same time, I think offering constructive alternatives to solve the broadband problem is a worthwile approach rather than only concentrating on the negatives.

I think the MANs is a good example of this. I've always been a bit sceptical of the whole MANs project, but surely we can find some use for them. I hope so anyway as they've sucked up a lot of tax payers' money.

Does anyone have any new ideas?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭damien

Hacketry wrote:
    Does anyone have any new ideas?

Why go away and once again reinvent the wheel? The Oireachtas Committee's report was endorsed by us. We point to that as the solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

March 2005
    http://archives.tcm.ie/irishexaminer/2005/03/21/story873277853.asp
    Ireland Offline spokesman Aidan Whyte said Ireland would miss out on foreign investment and jobs unless recommendations by an Oireachtas committee and state research agency Forfás were implemented.

March 2005
    http://www.electricnews.net/news.html?code=9594833
    Finally, IrelandOffline claims that until the recommendations of the Oireachtas Report on Broadband and the similar Forfas report on broadband are implemented, Ireland is going to remain backward when it comes to broadband provision.

October 2006
    http://www.enn.ie/blog/index.html?/archives/149-Ireland-slumps-again-in-latest-broadband-tables.html
    As Chairman of Ireland Offline, Damien Mulley, puts it, "The Government is wilfully ignoring valid recommendations from Forfas, the Oireachtas and the Information Society Commission while at the same time inventing meaningless broadband targets to make it look like Ireland is achieving something.

And its something Damien and I have repeated as nauseum in print, radio and TV.

We have workable solutions. We don't have solutions that are being worked.

John

P.S. Found this link
    http://www.euser-eu.org/eUSER_eLearningCountryBrief.asp?CaseID=2247&CaseTitleID=1088&MenuID=117 giving details from 2004/5 of BB penetration etc
    About the eUSER project
    One of the main perspectives presented within the eEurope 2005 action plan is to make “modern online public services” available to all citizens in the European Union.

The eUSER project will enhance the capacity of the IST programme to achieve its goals in relation to stimulating the availability and usage of useful and easy to use online public services.

We do this by addressing user needs that cut across different IST fields, including different application and service domains and different technology fields.

The focus of the eUSER project will be on online public services in the following services domains:
    eGovernment
    eHealth
    eLearning
    and on how the perspective of putting the user at the centre in the designing and delivery of online services and content can be met.

The focus will be on the needs of citizens as users of online public services in their interactions with public administrations, in the management of their health and in furthering their education and developing their skills.

Attention will be given to supporting better practice both in addressing generic user issues that apply across the user population and in addressing the diversity of specific user issues that arise for particular sub-groups

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

jwt wrote:
    October 2006
    http://www.enn.ie/blog/index.html?/a...nd-tables.html
    Quote:
    As Chairman of Ireland Offline, Damien Mulley, puts it, "The Government is wilfully ignoring valid recommendations from Forfas, the Oireachtas and the Information Society Commission while at the same time inventing meaningless broadband targets to make it look like Ireland is achieving something.
    And its something Damien and I have repeated as nauseum in print, radio and TV.

We have workable solutions. We don't have solutions that are being worked.

John
    To be honest, I would be surprised if that approach would work. Let me be clear that I am not criticising the efforts of IO. After all, I am not doing the work.

But I think in order to persuade the likes of DCMNR, you need to develop a coherent explanation of why things are wrong and what, in concrete terms, needs to be done. These reports can then be used to back up your recommendations rather than be the recommendations themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭jwt

I think you should read the reports. They contain very simple coherent 1, 2, 3 type steps towards getting bb for everyone.

They aren't just reports, they also contain recommendations and procedures.

It is those that we support (as well as most of the general reporting)

Otherwise we would be just reiterating other peoples recommendations and claiming them as our own.

regards

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

What does IO think DCMNR should do to achieve its goal of broadband for everyone that want's it?

With respect, the answer to this should not be "implement report X, Y or Z". The reports may be great altogether but it doesn't matter.

What does that mean to a journalist or member of the public? How does it demonstrate that you understand the issues?

Plus, it gives some minister the opportunity to give some waffly answer since it is unlikely that the journalist will have read those reports in detail.

You, IO, should be able to say in ordinary English exactly what you think DCM,NR or some other agency should do in order to achieve the aims of IO. You need to be able to explain why you think these things should be done, if necessary, backing your case up with these the appropriate bits of these reports.

This would demonstrate that you have actually thought about the problem.

What does that mean to a journalist or member of the public? How does it demonstrate that you understand the issues?

All the above, imho.

• Advertisement
Advertisement