Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Misleading area names when selling property

Options
  • 26-01-2007 5:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry about the misleading title. I couldn’t think of a better one.
    Mods, feel free to change it

When selling a house, are there any regulations that stop the seller from misrepresenting the area it is in?
    For instance, your house is in Killester and you advertise as Clontarf.
    I’ve seen this a lot on myhome.ie but I know the exact boundary due to Dublin 3/ Dublin 5 divide.

For example I live on the border of Drumcondra, very close to Ballybough. I call it Drumcondra as that’s what my landlord told me my address was and so do all the other tenants.

Out of interest I sometimes ask taxi drivers what area my house is in as they should know the city better than anyone.
    Some taxi drivers say I’m in Drumcrondra, some say Ballybough and the last guy I’ve asked didn’t know.
    If you wanted to be a snob about it, I’d say most people would perceive Drumcondra as a better area than Ballybough. I certainly would.

Now I’m renting, not an owner so it makes little difference to me.
    But if I could sell this house in the morning does an estate agent check some record to accurately determine what area you are in and do they go by this even if the seller demands the house advertised in a different area to up the value? I’m assuming an estate agent would never mislead a buyer here.:rolleyes:

I’m sure there are examples of this all over Dublin, the examples I’ve listed are the areas I’m most familiar with.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Hmmm.. A devilish query (see post count). I suppose it would come under false advertising. Buyer beware and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

It's an interesting one. I'm not sure anything can really be done about it, people can say they live wherever they want. There's a fairly obvious example close to me. The Royal Canal Park development is essentially in Cabra, but officially is probably "Ashtown, Dublin 15". (Though I think a few years ago Ashtown could be seen with D7 after it).

But there's at least one Estate Agent who insists on putting it's address as Castleknock, Dublin 15, which is just plain wrong. I know the developers had to do some hard bribing to get D15, but to drag Castleknock in to it is too much :)

I live in Ashtown by the way.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,916 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

Is D7 a bad area code? If I was looking online for a house in north Dublin I would be more attracted to D7 than D15 as 7 sounds more central.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Philbert

This goes on all the time with Malahides neighbouring suburbs calling their addresses "Malahide". I once heard of an estate agent advertising their property on the far side of Kinsealy church as 'Malahide'. :rolleyes:

I also know a bloke who lives on the Malahide road (actually opposite UCI), and when he tells people his address he just drops the 'road' and says hes from Malahide! Now thats outright snobbery.

On a side note. I happen to have just bought a new home in a village which was advertised by both the Estate Agent & Property Developer as being served by bus and rail. The brochure even had a picture of people standing in a train station waiting for a friggin train. I subsequently found out that this town doesnt have nor did it ever have a train station. It isnt even close to a train line.

Buyer beware.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭joolsveer

micmclo wrote:
    I’ve seen this a lot on myhome.ie but I know the exact boundary due to Dublin 3/ Dublin 5 divide.

For example I live on the border of Drumcondra, very close to Ballybough. I call it Drumcondra as that’s what my landlord told me my address was and so do all the other tenants.

Just out of interest how would anyone in Dublin know where one postal district ends and another one starts? I was born in Dublin and have lived here for more years that I care to remember and cannot say where the dividing line is between two adjacent districts.

Has anyone here got access to a street map of Dublin which shows the boundaries?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

There was a new complex going up beside me. It was advertised as Parkview, D9. Interesting though, that all the land around it, for over a mile is all D11. They're trying to pass the place off as Santry, but to get to Santry from there you have to pass through Poppintree and Ballymun.

In the last month I notice it's changed - Parkview, D11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

joolsveer wrote:
    Has anyone here got access to a street map of Dublin which shows the boundaries?

They sell pocket map books showing the postal districts in any good bookstore. Easons on O'Connell Street is where I got mine

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

micmclo wrote:
    Out of interest I sometimes ask taxi drivers what area my house is in as they should know the city better than anyone.
    Some taxi drivers say I’m in Drumcrondra, some say Ballybough and the last guy I’ve asked didn’t know.
    It's up to an post to decide the postal code of the property when it's bought. So if your post code is Drumcondra, then you're in Drumcondra.

I've seen loads of people advertising houses as "Templeogue, D6W" or "Firhouse, D16" for example. Blatant lying about it definitely goes on, and estate agents would actually advise people near a border to say they're in the better area.

For example: a small bungalow that's almost in Kimmage/Sundrive, yet is advertised as "Terenure, D6W". This easily adds around €200,000 onto the price (it's a very small building).
    http://www4.myhome.ie/search/property.asp?id=299701&np=&rt=search&searchlist=
    There doesn't seem to be any maps which exactly specify the borders of the post codes, so people can create tenous links to more "affluent" codes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Paulw wrote:
    There was a new complex going up beside me. It was advertised as Parkview, D9. Interesting though, that all the land around it, for over a mile is all D11. They're trying to pass the place off as Santry, but to get to Santry from there you have to pass through Poppintree and Ballymun.

In the last month I notice it's changed - Parkview, D11.
    It was a complete scam. They were actually trying to call it Glasnevin North originally and gave it the Dublin 9 address because a small part of the site is in the Dublin 9 area of Ballymun. Presumably somebody got onto them about it, as you say every street around it is Dublin 11. The site is predominantly in Ballymun.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Royal Canal Park is an interesting one, because it's bordered on one side by Dublin 11 and the other side By Dublin 7, and they are calling it Dublin 15 which is plain wrong... I do wonder what strokes had to be pulled to get the area code of Dublin 15. Still with regard to royal canal park i wouldn't worry about the area code, it's actually not a bad area and quite close to town.

The Same went on a few years ago in lucan, with land being classed as Lucan that was really clondalkin/rowan's town, but in that case they found that someone high up in An Post had taken a bribe.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Royal Canal Park is an interesting one, because it's bordered on one side by Dublin 11 and the other side By Dublin 7, and they are calling it Dublin 15 which is plain wrong... I do wonder what strokes had to be pulled to get the area code of Dublin 15.

Brown is the envelope :D

Royal Canal Park is , of course, in East Castlenock. Its not in Cabra or bless us and save us , Dunsink .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭alienhead

yes, estate agents try and pawn killbarack off as raheny. used to really annoy me. i grew up in the area, so would know the difference, while others probably would'nt.

just seemed very underhanded, and i'm supprised they were alowed to get away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

Royal Canal Park is an interesting one, because it's bordered on one side by Dublin 11 and the other side By Dublin 7, and they are calling it Dublin 15 which is plain wrong... I do wonder what strokes had to be pulled to get the area code of Dublin 15. Still with regard to royal canal park i wouldn't worry about the area code, it's actually not a bad area and quite close to town. .

RCP, Earlswood, Pelletstown etc are all D15, served by the postal sorting office in Coolmine. It's the sorting office that determines the postcode

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Had to laugh at the estate agents in Cork describing Jacob's Island (located in the "undesirable" Mahon) as being in (uber-chic) Rochestown. It would be better described as "having a view of Rochestown"! AFAIK they got pulled up on it and just refer to it as Jacob's Island ("Mahon? Oh no - definitely not Mahon!").

Advertisement