Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Smokers on the bus: what do you do?

• 26-01-2007 5:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

Most mornings when I get the bus there's a gang of people at the back (upstairs), smoking away. This annoys me - I'm not a smoker and I like to sit upstairs where it's less crowded and you get to see more of the city. I don't see why i should have to arrive in to work smelling of someone else's cigarettes. As far as I'm concerned, smoking on the bus is on a par with littering - unpleasant behaviour designed to put other people out.

BUT I haven't the nerve to say anything, and then I feel like I've let the side down, or not been an upstanding citizen, or just been a scaredy-cat (though at least I have all my teeth!). This morning there was only one, a normal-looking woman. Yet I still didn't say anything.

So what do you do?

There's people smoking on the bus. What do you do? 77 votes

Ask them for a light.
    0%
    Nothing. Out of enlightened self-interest.
    14%
    byteBuffyBottuxyFighting Irish_blank_TerryDonkeyStyle \o/GusherINGeddyctytherP_1 11 votes
    Glare at them as I leave the bus.
    49%
    Karl HungusFlukeyStargalCrucifixparasiteCactus ColThe_B_ManBig Earsjoe_chickenCiaran500Magown3NightwishOrangeRhymeAlvisswingkingcountyEndurance ManKatykaboomfaceman 38 votes
    Tell the driver as I leave the bus.
    11%
    DingatronKaromasnickerpussmonkeyfudgesdanseotolosencclarkwgriswoldJack Baueradmiralofthefleet 9 votes
    Say in a loud voice 'hey, you can't do that here!'
    24%
    Stephende5p0i1erpassiveDr4gul4TrotterluckatKingp35CathyMoranthemoleRbregeditdelta_bravo6thJPAflanger20002003The ShoeSizzlerFratton Fredcar39 19 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

UB wrote:
    Most mornings when I get the bus there's a gang of people at the back (upstairs), smoking away. This annoys me - I'm not a smoker and I like to sit upstairs where it's less crowded and you get to see more of the city. I don't see why i should have to arrive in to work smelling of someone else's cigarettes. As far as I'm concerned, smoking on the bus is on a par with littering - unpleasant behaviour designed to put other people out.

BUT I haven't the nerve to say anything, and then I feel like I've let the side down, or not been an upstanding citizen, or just been a scaredy-cat (though at least I have all my teeth!). This morning there was only one, a normal-looking woman. Yet I still didn't say anything.

So what do you do?
    Presumably you reported it to the driver?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Your better off saying nothing TBH!! If its one of the new buses there is a detector in them to detect smoke!! THen that announcement gets played!! If it continues the driver should pull in and tell them to get off the bus!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

jonny24ie wrote:
    Your better off saying nothing TBH!! If its one of the new buses there is a detector in them to detect smoke!! THen that announcement gets played!! If it continues the driver should pull in and tell them to get off the bus!!

New - Very few busses I've been on actually have this feature, and even if the announcement did play then I'd presume that it'd affect very few smokers.

Should - They should do a lot of things, but rarely do. Maybe out of personal safety issues, maybe out of lazyness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm intrigued, is this only a Dublin issue?
    Never even heard of that happening here (the West). If so I would say something, to let them know it's not on like.

edit, why is this a public poll? Are you sending the scobie smokers after me now? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 984 ✭✭✭NextSteps

biko wrote:
    Never even heard of that happening here (the West). If so I would say something, to let them know it's not on like.

edit, why is this a public poll? Are you sending the scobie smokers after me now? :p
    I dunno, the bus I'm talking about is the 13a in Dublin, which goes between the city centre and Ballymun. So that might explain it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,503 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

If you only have that to worry about, you are doing well! Got the bus home one night to some junkie smoking heroin behind me!! Got off the bus in good form though!

Jaysus, seems pretty bad over there.
    Wonder if anything like this goes on in any other Irish city or if it's just Dub?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Try gettin the 78a out to Ballyfermot, if you're on the top deck and you're not smoking then you're in the minority.

I've been on the 13a too when a group have started up with the whackybacky, if there's a group then I wouldn't say much because it isn't going to affect much - all you'll get is abuse for the rest ofyour journey. If its 1-3 guys then I will ask that they stop, and once or twice it has actually worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

the morning its not ok unless its doobee
    night time i dont like it but i deal with it also at night time its more likly that someone will have rolled a doobee and even if om not smoking it the nice smell will keep away the horrible smell of tobacco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

Smoking on the bus often depends on where the bus is going. Although for the nitelink all bets are off :)

I would say it happens in dublin more because of the double decker bus. Its hard for the driver and passers by to see its going on.

Does that message about not smoking only come on when someone is smoking? I thought it was just played at random, but i never really thoght about it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

If you want this moved to Commuting & Transport, let me know OP, otherwise I'll just leave it here.

Never seen this happen outside the pale, my experience anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

connundrum wrote:
    Try gettin the 78a out to Ballyfermot, if you're on the top deck and you're not smoking then you're in the minority.
    Oh yes.... I've used a lot of routes over the years and the 78A is easily the worst bus route in the city.... glad I don't have to do that run any more.

I have to use the 27 quite a lot these days and it's pretty horrible too... I certainly wouldn't say anything as you'd more than likely get spat on or get your head kicked in or both.

It's the smell of cannabis on the bus first thing in the morning that I find the worst... it really makes me feel nauseous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

biko wrote:
    Never even heard of that happening here (the West)
    Presumably the buses in the West are single deckers. It's usually only a problem upstairs on double deckers. ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,297 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

The 13a is pretty bad. I used to get that sometimes going to college and there was always someone at the back smoking away so I always tried to avoid the 13a. I used to say it to the driver as I was getting off but I wouldnt say it to the guy smoking because there was usually a group of them and you would only end up getting abuse off them for the rest of your journey.

There should be on the spot fines brought in or if thats inplace already then it should start being enforced! At least now im finished college I dont have to use the bus anymore. The Dart will do for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

I'm a smoker, so other people smoking on the bus doesn't bother me as much... unless they're smoking joints and I'm getting second-hand stoned against my will... which gives me an idea of what non-smokers in general have to put up with.
    I don't smoke on the bus myself and do my best not to inflict it on people.
    I don't get why people can't just wait the 20-30 minutes before lighting up... especially since they probably had one while waiting for the bus in the first place.
    I think most of it is mad lads showing off to their madzor chums... they want someone to object so they have someone to annoy for the rest of the journey... or if nobody does, they get to pat themselves on the back for being such hard men.
    Unless you're willing to go stand behind your complaint and down and punch the head off them, I'd just ignore them and save myself the bother.
    It's a bit of a defeatist attitude, but self-preservation often is.

I poul out a gon an' busta cap in there ass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭Local Goddess

It should probably annoy me more than it does, It doesn't really bother me. I'd never say anythin to someone smoking on bus for two reasons, one as i said it doesnt really bother me and two on the bus i get i just wouldn't take that chance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

Where the bus is going to or coming from usually does make a difference. Most of us know routes where you are almost guaranteed to see someone smoking on, and of course it is not just cigarettes. I don't say anything to them, but I do think to myself "Stupid idiots." One, for being smokers and two, for not being able to have some respect and wait until they get off the bus before having a smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 flanger20002003

This is the kinda thing that really bugs me, people know they aren't meant to smoke on buses yet won't have the decency to show basic courtesy to those that don't like smoking. It is illegal after all, don't see why they should get away with it tbh. I tend to get the 145, which is nearly always grand, but you do get the odd person lighting up. Would normally tell the driver as I'm getting off, but wouldn't be inclined to confront the person...could be dodgy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Smoking was a daily occurance on the upper decks of all the 40's (A-D) out to Finglas. Even when the bus was one of those clapped out single deck buses, people still smoked. Nobody said anything to them, not even the driver, for their own personal safety. There was also quite a bit of hash smoking going on on the 16 and 16a in the evenings too.
    AFAIR the 13/13a buses have a permanent stench of smoke on them, even when there isnt anyone smoking on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

The seventy-something buses are awful.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,654 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Dublin bus have a limited selection of inspectors (including undercover) who are supposed to deal with this. but oviously they dont!

if enough people on the bus stood up to the smokers it would make a difference, but otherwise you're wasting your time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

The only reason it happens in Dublin is because of the double decker buses, I've never seen someone try to light up on one of the single decked ones.

I usually just tell the driver as I'm getting off, even though I'm a smoker myself I've much more consideration for the people around me than to be making them sit there inhaling that in such a confined space throughout their bus journey. They're just scum I guess. The one bus I don't mind people smoking on is the nightlink though, oddly enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭Katykaboom

Oh yes.... I've used a lot of routes over the years and the 78A is easily the worst bus route in the city.... glad I don't have to do that run any more.

I have to use the 27 quite a lot these days and it's pretty horrible too... I certainly wouldn't say anything as you'd more than likely get spat on or get your head kicked in or both.

It's the smell of cannabis on the bus first thing in the morning that I find the worst... it really makes me feel nauseous.

Yeah I used to get the 78a to work and there was sually someone upstairs smoking gear/smokes/hash....

I used to get the 27 to school and I have to say, Ismoked on the bus once. Only to fit in. Never did it again. There was nopoint and people would get so pissed off, and Iwas only on it for 15 minutes. But I wreckon the 78a is the worst outof the 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

connundrum wrote:

I've been on the 13a too when a group have started up with the whackybacky, if there's a group then I wouldn't say much because it isn't going to affect much - all you'll get is abuse for the rest ofyour journey. If its 1-3 guys then I will ask that they stop, and once or twice it has actually worked.

78.....jaysus. Worst route we ever took. Girls of 11 down the back with the "shes pure ****e at fightin, id batter the bollix off her" :rolleyes:

Ive only once seen a driver throw people off, they dont need the hassle/potential violence.

Something that annoys/baffles me more about Dublin Bus are bus shelters that have advert posters that are changed every 2 weeks, yet they dont have a timetable on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

The timetables get wrecked tbh.

I too frequent the 27, I smoke, but not on the bus.

The 17A Kilbarrack to Finglas via Coolock and Ballymun in a scum bus aswell.

You could get a joint rolling lesson walking from the front to the back of the top deck of either of these busses.

Although, it has to be said, I've never actually seen anyone doing heroin on a bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm a smoker, so other people smoking on the bus doesn't bother me as much... unless they're smoking joints and I'm getting second-hand stoned against my will... which gives me an idea of what non-smokers in general have to put up with.
    I don't smoke on the bus myself and do my best not to inflict it on people.
    I don't get why people can't just wait the 20-30 minutes before lighting up... especially since they probably had one while waiting for the bus in the first place.
    I think most of it is mad lads showing off to their madzor chums... they want someone to object so they have someone to annoy for the rest of the journey... or if nobody does, they get to pat themselves on the back for being such hard men.
    Unless you're willing to go stand behind your complaint and down and punch the head off them, I'd just ignore them and save myself the bother.
    It's a bit of a defeatist attitude, but self-preservation often is.

Yeah same

ps. I f*cking HATE when people smoke on the bus.

My last girlfriend was on the bus with me before, and people were smoking, so she gave them a nice stern glare. I gave out to her for it, but alas, she thought it was better to get me bashed than to ignore it. Bloody idealists!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Goldfinger

It happens on the 7 or the 84/145 the odd time, depending on the time of day, more usually the 7 at night. The one bus I've never ever seen it on is the 27a and I've been using that route for years.

It does annoy me, the tops of buses get really stuffy even without the smoke, but I wouldn't see any scenario involving my objecting that wouldn't end in a fight of some sort.
    I don't particularly mind getting into a fight for a good cause and if it can't be avoided, but I'd feel like a right twat explaining afterwards that I got in a fight over someone smoking down the back of a bus!
    Not worth it.

(I wouldn't dream of saying it to the driver as I got off, though.
    If I'm not prepared to deal with it myself it's not fair he should be expected to. He's only paid to drive the bus, and he's on his own)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭car39

*************ismoke 20 a day and crave the drag but it p**sses me off when people do it where they r not 2.why should the non smokers put up with it even though the grief that lot give me sends me awol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Mod_Man

Open all the windows around you and when they ask "do you mind"? I say yeah.. I do ! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

car39 wrote:
    *************ismoke 20 a day and crave the drag but it p**sses me off when people do it where they r not 2.why should the non smokers put up with it even though the grief that lot give me sends me awol
    Yes.

DaveMcG wrote:
    so she gave them a nice stern glare. I gave out to her for it
    Yeah, I think by and large the kind of people who smoke on buses aren't the kind of people who'll be evil-eyed into putting it out... they'll just laugh at you and think you're an uptight knob... and the fact that you used such a low-key way to protest tells them you'd prefer to avoid a confrontation and maybe you're afraid of one... right there you've painted yourself as an easy target.
    Then they'll see what else they can do to get a rise out of you... throwing things, name-calling and slagging... just to see what they can get away with.

Makes me want to watch Falling Down again actually :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,241 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Mod_Man wrote:
    Open all the windows around you and when they ask "do you mind"? I say yeah.. I do ! :rolleyes:

...and depending on the person you said it to, wake up 12 hours later with several broken bones :D

Easy answer to scumbags on buses is either more inspectors to boot them or have the guards that pound the beat get on and off random buses from time to time. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Beelzebub

sdonn_1 wrote:
    ...and depending on the person you said it to, wake up 12 hours later with several broken bones :D

Easy answer to scumbags on buses is either more inspectors to boot them or have the guards that pound the beat get on and off random buses from time to time. ;)

The 114 from Blackrock to Sandyford was pretty bad in the mornings..with a bunch of schoolkids smoking on the upper deck.
    So I always made sure I got a seat downstairs.
    I have in the past asked people in a nice way not to smoke, and they usually complied, but to be honest it's not worth the hassle. Also for some strange reason, I have felt badly about it, like the bad guy!
    I have also opened the windows to no ill effect. But like you said it depends on the offenders. You gotta know your audience!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Orange

The 39 and especially the 38 routes are also quite bad for smoking. Personally i'd be afraid to say anything to them in case it started trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Yeah, I think by and large the kind of people who smoke on buses aren't the kind of people who'll be evil-eyed into putting it out... they'll just laugh at you and think you're an uptight knob... and the fact that you used such a low-key way to protest tells them you'd prefer to avoid a confrontation and maybe you're afraid of one... right there you've painted yourself as an easy target.
    Then they'll see what else they can do to get a rise out of you... throwing things, name-calling and slagging... just to see what they can get away with.

That was my point!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 631 ✭✭✭andrewie

Got a bus from Drogheda the other day and bout 15 minutes later looked up the bus and there was the driver puffing away. Some fella getting off spotted it and told him he was reporting him.

Not the first time I've witnessed this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

I kno ppl who just smoke on the bus deliberately to get into fights with ppl who ask them to put it out lol.

DaveMcG wrote:
    That was my point!
    I know, I was agreeing with you.
    And I do it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭AS_PokerKing

The best thing to do is....GET THE LUAS INSTEAD :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Arthurdaly

I also get the 13A regularly and theres always scum down the back puffing away. I've never experienced anyone ask them to stop or complain.
    The morons down the back are just waiting for someone to confront them.
    I smoke and I find it offensive that these cream crackers get away with it.
    Perhaps there only solution would be to bomb ballymun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

On the 13A yesterday afternoon a guy rolled a joint on the seat opposite mine and proceeded to smoke it with his friend. A few people were rolling their eyes but most just ignored it. As a couple of previous posters have pointed out, there's nothing you can really do in a case like this; if it had been kids then I'd have had no problem saying it to them, but these guys looked like they'd kick your head in as soon as look at you.

The smokers on the bus go *cough*-*cough*-*cough* aaalll dayy looonnnng.
    :D

<--*finds himself terribly amusing (all day long)*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭de5p0i1er

I'm a smoker and I think its out of order to smoke on a bus, these ppl should be kicked off the bus and if they can't get them off then there should be securty guards on the bus who can throw them off along with all the other scum bags.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I put up with it when it happens, but I don't like being forced to breathe someone else's secondary smoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭muletide

Well as a way of dealing with it why doesnt everyone here who finds it off putting agree that the next time someone stands up to these people that they will join in their protest. Safety in numbers and I find that if enough people tell these sh1tes that what they are doing is out of line they usually back down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

having gotten the 13a for college for 3 years and now living on the 13a route, smoking on the bus is generally the least of my worries....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

i got the dart into town at 10.30am a few sundays ago and some lad on a seat near me was smoking gear quite openly, no one said anything or even seemed bothered...it would have annoyed me more if it was a cigarette tbh cause then it would have stank out the carriage...the heroin didnt smell badly at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Arthurdaly wrote:
    I also get the 13A regularly and theres always scum down the back puffing away. I've never experienced anyone ask them to stop or complain.
    The morons down the back are just waiting for someone to confront them.
    I smoke and I find it offensive that these cream crackers get away with it.
    Perhaps there only solution would be to bomb ballymun.

or you could just grow a spine :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Keep on coughing in their face till they stop

• Advertisement
Advertisement