Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring a phone line

Options
  • 26-01-2007 5:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭

I've been having problems with my internet and phone connection for a while now. the lines weren't staying in correctly so I bought a new socket from Peats. It's a lot smaller then the current one.

Anyway, I opened the socket up today. There's 4 cables. 2 Orange and White and 2 Blue and White. The blue and white are just loose and not used. I opened up the socket I got from Peats and it's a lot different. It has green, red, black and yellow pins all going into different places.

Anyway, can anyone give me a simple guide to connect this thing up? One thing I have noticed is that since I removed and replaced the orange and white cables my internet seems to be a lot faster. That's probably my imagination though.

Cheers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Ok, I'm learning here as I go along. I found out that the green, red, black and yellow cables are going into the pins where you connect the line. Since a phone line only uses the 2 middle pins I connected the 2 orange/white cables in with the green and red which were running to the middle pins. Picked up the phone and it was working.

I connected my DSL splitter which I got from Peats and it's still not working though. The internet only works when I connect it directly into the line without a splitter. I notice that an internet line has 4 pins. Are the 2 blue/white cables supposed to be in use?

I'm talking to myself here but anyway. I connected the 2 blue/white cables to the unused pins. That got my internet working through the DSL Splitter somehow. As soon as I pick up the phone the connection dies though. Ahh.:mad:

Now I'm back to start where I haven't a clue what the problem is.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

you have the right 2 wires so. that peats socket is a cheap POS though.

Now reconnect them with a thicker contact and it should stay up

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

The phone line will come in on a pair of wires, which is the Orange and White ones in your case.

You have these connected to the center pins on the socket (Green and Red) and the line works .

Does your splitter have two sockets on it (One for PC and the other for phone)?

If it only has one socket it is only meant to have phones plugged into it, not your BB Modem.

Is this the only socket in the house or are there others?

The splitter has 2 sockets, one for the phone and DSL. I only have one socket.

The problem I am having is my internet connection keeps going, even when I put the line straight into the socket without a filter. Is this supposed to happen (ie. is the filter needed for broadband)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Tenshot

eirebhoy wrote:
    The problem I am having is my internet connection keeps going, even when I put the line straight into the socket without a filter. Is this supposed to happen (ie. is the filter needed for broadband)?
    The filter is only needed when you have a telephone sharing the same wall socket as the DSL modem. If you are only connecting the modem on its own, it's okay to plug it directly into the wall socket with no filter.

I'm surprised that your phone signal is on the orange wire pair rather than the blue pair; this is the opposite way around to normal. Is the socket the first point of entry into the house, or do you have lots of other sockets also wired up and this is just one of the extensions? If so, check the connections at the main Eircom box where the cable comes into the house.

(And of course, make sure phones in any other sockets are also using filters instead of plugged in directly.)

What sort of modem/router do you have?

No, I've only got 1 socket in the house. I'm with BT so just have the regular router you get from them.
    Tenshot wrote:
    The filter is only needed when you have a telephone sharing the same wall socket as the DSL modem. If you are only connecting the modem on its own, it's okay to plug it directly into the wall socket with no filter.
    That's strange. It's plugged directly into the wall socket atm with no filter. My connection just dies all the time. It lasts for about a minute each time. Obviously I know now that the socket isn't the problem. Any idea's what it could be?

Is there any noise on the line when you are using it for Voice?

Have you another modem you could try?

ST wrote:
    Is there any noise on the line when you are using it for Voice?
    I haven't noticed any noise but I suppose I could get a test. The thing is, I switched my line to BT recently. Do they do line tests? A couple of months ago I had problems with noise through the phone and I just replaced to phone and that fixed it.
    ST wrote:
    Have you another modem you could try?
    I have a laptop (aswell as the PC) and used that through the router but got the same problem.

Is your router the one issued by BT?

Are the settings correct in it?

Have you another router you could try, or could you try the router in a friends house?

• Advertisement

First of all, thanks for the help as I'm clueless.

I've been on the PC for about 2 hours now the connection hasn't gone which is a very long time.

Anyway, the router is the one I got from BT. I wouldn't really know if the settings are correct.

I've no other router to test.

What I don't understand is my connection goes when I pick up the phone. That sounds like a problem with the filter but that's brand new from Peats.

Edit your last post to remove links to screen shots.

When you pick up the phone, does the phone work ok?

Can you find where the line comes into the house from the road, if it is ungerground, you may have a small white door outside somewhere.

If you find it can you just check that only the orange/white wires are used.

Have you another phone you could try? Could be the phone that is causing the problem either.

Ring up BT and see if they will send you out another Filter also just to rule filter out.

I actually now think the reason my connection kept going was down to BT. I looked at the broadband forum and plenty of people are having problems with BT recently. I'll give them a call for a replacement Filter though.

Advertisement