Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sundays in Waterford

• 26-01-2007 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭

I'm curious to know what people think about Sundays these days, in Waterford in particular. A few years ago, the law was changed so that shops were allowed open, and by this stage the town is about half open on a Sunday. So what expectations do people have of the city centre on a Sunday? Do people like to shop? Do people like to walk around maybe, and have a cup of coffee/pint somewhere?

Personally, I sometimes have a hankering from a big dirty fry served up to me the morning after a hard night. Yes I could cook one myself, but ****it, I like to get out of the house, get a bit of fresh air, and get sorted for food. I'm not religious, and what I basically want out of a Sunday in town is the basics, and something not too hectic, like having a pint in Geoffs or whatever. Being stuck at home would drive me nuts. Heading off out the country is grand, but I wouldn't always be in the mood.

I think this is interesting because I'm sure there are still lots of people that just sit at home all day and veg on front of the TV and wouldn't even dream of heading into town, but probably also other people like me that want to make use of the old Sunday to do something. :)

What do ye think? :)

(By the way, the only place I could find a fry up over Christmas to sort me out was in the Kasbar, or whatever it's called -- top notch!)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

The town on a sunday aint to bad, theres always a good few people around but no one seems to be rushing about, they all just out for a walk around the shops. I always go into the bistro for lunch after a hard night out, the best club sandwich in town and merlante, if your ever looken for a good fry go out to the tescos ardkeen cafe and you can get some mother of a fry for €5.50

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

yeah Im one of those poeple that just stays a t home on a sunday, but then Again thats what I would do every other day of teh week if I had the choice. I heard talk of a metal, hard rock ,electronic music thing happening every other weekend in the Bowery on a sunday night though. THat should be interesting if that actually happens . :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I usually get my bus or train back to Dublin...

Fry up's in Sizzlers are usually great though - Don't know if they open Sunday mornings or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭merlante

Fajitas! wrote:

Fry up's in Sizzlers are usually great though - Don't know if they open Sunday mornings or not.

I recently sought it out once or twice when I had the need and found it to have become a posher sort of place than I remembered it. That and closed.

angry_fox wrote:
    The town on a sunday aint to bad, theres always a good few people around but no one seems to be rushing about, they all just out for a walk around the shops. I always go into the bistro for lunch after a hard night out, the best club sandwich in town and merlante, if your ever looken for a good fry go out to the tescos ardkeen cafe and you can get some mother of a fry for €5.50

Sounds good. :) Though I live (when I am in Waterford) closer to the city centre than Ardkeen.

Where is the Bistro again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Fajitas! wrote:

Sundays were like that for me (well I drove, but same difference) for so long... seven years in a row up to November. I'm only now beginning to get them back, and I'm so looking forward to having a whole spring, summer and early autumn of Sundays here. The last two I spent in Tramore and Dunmore respectively. Absolutely wonderful. I must check out town though in the next few weeks. I reckon the new cinema will add something to town on a Sunday, especially during the winter months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Aye, when I'm around, a drive about the coast is usually good for the camera if nothing else.

fricatus wrote:
    Sundays were like that for me (well I drove, but same difference) for so long... seven years in a row up to November. I'm only now beginning to get them back, and I'm so looking forward to having a whole spring, summer and early autumn of Sundays here. The last two I spent in Tramore and Dunmore respectively. Absolutely wonderful. I must check out town though in the next few weeks. I reckon the new cinema will add something to town on a Sunday, especially during the winter months.

See if we had a university, more of us would get to keep our Sundays! :) Not that other things keep people away too.

You can't beat Tramore, Dunmore and Woodstown for places to go for the 'oul Sunday walk, to name but three spots. (Still this thread is about the town. :) )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Sunday is just my free day. I would rarely go into town unless I really needed something. I usually spend it partially training and the rest I just laze about for :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Does anyone know whent the new cinema is actually opening?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

I spend all day Sunday in work or in bed, depending on my two shift pattern.

Does anyone know whent the new cinema is actually opening?

Summer, apparently.

merlante wrote:
    Where is the Bistro again?

Accross from the cinema, ill be in there today to help with this bloody hangover i have now :)

angry_fox wrote:
    Accross from the cinema, ill be in there today to help with this bloody hangover i have now :)

Ah yes, I was in there before. Nice place. Seems a little bit too fine for the likes of me slouching over a cup of coffee though. :)

merlante wrote:
    Ah yes, I was in there before. Nice place. Seems a little bit too fine for the likes of me slouching over a cup of coffee though. :)

Well there will be a few sore heads in there later so i wouldint worry bout it :) Is the pantry open on a sunday? Thats another good spot for a fry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Fandyfan

the park is always a good place to go but its all crap now...when they gonna get that all done, i was told that the skatepark they are buildin there was gonna b done last august...its still under construction now! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭PetraMac

Don't know personally where'd be good for a proper fry on a Sunday... have a feeling Pantry is closed on Sun. Haven't had the fry at the Bistro but the Irish Stew there is amazing if that's any help, might have similar effect on hangover and there's loads of it too - lovely tender meat, dumplings, veg and delicious white bread + butter on the side. Yum!
    Sundays are relaxing day for me... Don't usually head into town but I would if I thought there was a bit of a buzz. Might try it some Sunday soon when weather gets warmer.
    Hubby+me are always saying there's a market in Waterford for Sunday brunch-type place - could include the old fry-up and healthy stuff as well - with a relaxed vibe and nice background music - we reckon it'd be packed - what does anyone else think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

merlante wrote:
    Summer, apparently.

One of the head men working on the site told me they hope to have it open in March/April

PetraMac wrote:
    Don't know personally where'd be good for a proper fry on a Sunday... have a feeling Pantry is closed on Sun. Haven't had the fry at the Bistro but the Irish Stew there is amazing if that's any help, might have similar effect on hangover and there's loads of it too - lovely tender meat, dumplings, veg and delicious white bread + butter on the side. Yum!
    Sundays are relaxing day for me... Don't usually head into town but I would if I thought there was a bit of a buzz. Might try it some Sunday soon when weather gets warmer.
    Hubby+me are always saying there's a market in Waterford for Sunday brunch-type place - could include the old fry-up and healthy stuff as well - with a relaxed vibe and nice background music - we reckon it'd be packed - what does anyone else think?

Yes there is.

There is a huge market in Waterford for cafes/eateries/diners (not restaurants, we have enough) . It amazes me that there aren't more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭Maharet

merlante wrote:
    Yes there is.

There is a huge market in Waterford for cafes/eateries/diners (not restaurants, we have enough) . It amazes me that there aren't more.

Especially ones that would open after 6!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement