Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Music LC Honours

Options
  • 26-01-2007 6:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭

Out of all the exams I'm doing, music is the most difficult to get notes/revision books/music for.
    They ran out of the exam papers in Cork before the end of the first week in September, and I have been waiting since before Christmas for the Leaving Cert CD with the tracks on it.
    The Less Stress Revision book is ok but it doesnt have enough detail.

Anyone else suffering from lack of musical notes?!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Steve01

I couldn't find any notes for music either. Did you register for that music revision course in Cork in last Saturday? We got some excellent notes there. Suddenly Gerald Barry makes sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭madgal

where you at it?
    It was brilliant. I can't wait for the next one, because I really don't understand the Tchaivoksy (sp?)
    The craic was brilliant at it like. The practical was a bit of a waste of time, but the notes were brilliant.
    They should have them closer together though, thats the only thing.

Yeah it was great. Because of that revision course I realised there are some things I ddidt know at all. So now I have a chance of doing well in the pre. Tchaikovskys not too bad only for the fact that its so damn long.

The only thing I didn't like about the course was the teacher with the really shrill voice who was more or less shouting her head off at us. There was a microphone provided for crying out loud! To quote Ed Byrne 'if I want to be abused by a woman I'm paying I'll go to Amsterdam'

Yeah... do you mean the one who wasnt in the green dress?
    I made running commentry through all of that, just to pass the time.
    Yeah, without that course I wouldn't of understood that I didn't know as much as I thought.
    I need a B2, in music.... Screw the pre, I can't learn all of that in 2 weeks.

Yeah the cranky one in the green dress. The other one was nice but her voice would put anyone to sleep. I was also commentating on the whole thing as it was going on :D
    I'm aiming to do as well as possible since music is probably one of my best subjects. Will be playing drums for the practical (50%) so half the exam will depend on that alone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I'm getting used to Barry now. Come on -- what can they ask?

Every time Tchaikovsky is mention in our class, our teacher goes off on a tangent -- telling us he was gay, went to boarding school and, well, you know, messed around ... That's not something I can really reproduce in June!

We haven't actually finished one work yet. And she "forgot" about the revision course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

If you guys are stuck for books, try for the ABRSM (Associated Board of Royal Schools of Music) theory books - they're excellent and far better laid out than some of the others offerings. That Less Stress Music, for example, is factually WRONG in a lot of cases; tis pretty outrageous. Anyone thinking of continuing on in college to some extent feel free to give me a shout if you've any questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

I have 'Soundscapes'. Lots of background info and bar-by-bar or section-by-section analysis for most works. Tries to make you appreciate what you're listening to, IMO.

Is anyone doing the technology option? I'm almost being forced into it but really need more information before making a decision.

I thought about continuing with music in September. It seems no one wants you without grade eight in some instrument :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

This is my number 3 on the list for subject choice for the Leaving Cert, am I mad or is it a good subject to continue with?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Did it 2 years ago, got a B2 which I was fairly happy with, Barry is fairly easy if you have the right teacher. I gave my notes back to the teacher, cos they were of no use to me and could be of some help to someone transferring late into music (after pre's as some people do in our school having finished another ciriculum)

Anyone having difficulty getting the CD pm me and I'l email the tracks to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

I think music is a grand subject. If you play an instrument and have done music theory that's a good chunk of it already taken care with. Just gotta learn stuff then, but it seems to be much much less than in other subjects!

The CD is being reprinted, which has taken since before Christmas to reprint, and the exam papers since last november.

its awkward getting them off examinations.ie, as you loose track of which year the paper was etc.

Advertisement