Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring a Network socket with Cat5 cable

Options
  • 26-01-2007 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

Buying our first house soon, and its under construction. The main phone socket will be in the hall downstairs. I want to use the box room above the hall as the computer room. I had planned getting a duct run from beside the phone socket for a network cable ....so that I can plug my BB router into the phoneline and then into the socket and then plug a network cable from the socket into the pc upstairs. I odnt want to use wireless.

Is wiring up a cat 5/6 cable to a network socket something I could do myself (with no experience)??

Is there an alternative , without going to wireless???

Im sure there are loads on here who have had this sort of work done on their houses.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

probably be easyer to pay someone in your area to do it for you since your only doing one connection, as youll need the tools to terminate it properly which are expensive enough and then the cable/points are dear also when bought in ones or two

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭ST

Why don't you get another phone socket put in the bedroom?

You can then plug the router into the phone socket, and just connect your computer straight into the router.

Do you plan on staying here for a long while? If so it would make sense to get the house wired for a network now rather than try and do it in a year or so when the house is finished depending on your requirements.

Wiring of sockets is easy enough, most come colour coded, and some manufacturers make sockets which can be connected without tools.

Advertisement