Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Debate: America is defending democracy.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

Of course they're defending democracy!

Mind you, as Clinton might have said, "that depends on your definition of democracy" ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Can anyone answer me this:
    Is the USA PATRIOT Act 2001 undemocratic and entirely hypocritical? And if so, how?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

link, please.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patriot_Act

It's rather long winded.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't forget the US spread Democracy by supporting Saddam in the past.

How many Latin American countries can you name where the US hasn't intervened in - in most cases on the side of dictators or against the wishes of the electorate. Similarily for south east asia.

Iraq has gone form a secular society with problems , now it's becoming an islamist state with even worse problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Don't forget the US spread Democracy by supporting Saddam in the past.

How many Latin American countries can you name where the US hasn't intervened in - in most cases on the side of dictators or against the wishes of the electorate. Similarily for south east asia.

Exactly, if you ask Afghans or Pakistanis for example why they still hated Saddam up until his hanging, the answer you'll often hear is that he was an Americanist sell-out, a traitor. How quickly some people forget those things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Hey OP, dont forget to come back and let us all know how it goes. :)

Will do, faceman. It's on the 15th. So check back on the 16th for updates. ;)

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I can't recall if the Florida elextions were mentioned but read these:
    http://www.thinkingpeace.com/Lib/lib052.html
    http://www.michaelmoore.com/books-films/f911reader/index.php?id=16
    http://cagreens.org/alameda/city/0803myth/myth.html

How can a country that elieves itself to be very democratic allow this?

• Advertisement

Thank yu all for your help, but unfortunately, my team didn't win. There were two teams for each side, and the other team arguing our side won. Unfairly, in my opinion. We were caught out by the judges reasoning that the key word was "are" rather than "defending" or "democracy". Ah well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Is this for the Gael Linn debate? My brother had exactly the same title for his debate.

Yes, indeed it was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

obl wrote:
    Yes, indeed it was.

Out in Lucan?

Yeah, was your brother from Sanford Park?

Haha, Pythia you could have been giving your brother tip-offs!

• Advertisement

Fix.
    I demand a recount.

All posts have been archived.

Indeed, obl if you're feeling anyway bitter, this is your chance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Wanna test your latest weapon? Test it in someone else's back yard. Do it during a war. No war? Make one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

Before i start i would just like to say that i have not read many replys to this thread.

But lets just think about it for a minutes,democracy that is.

In a developed democratic society like what we are living in here in Ireland its
    NOT possible for all people in the world,FACT.

Every household in the world can not have at least one car,Its not possible because of simple things like that we dont have enough natural resources for all of us
    I cant belive that anyone belives that we can all have what we want and that we can all live live in sphere that we call democracy,the planet is struggling to cope with the pollution that a small percentage of Its inhabitants create at the moment so lets drop this idea of democracy for all
    DEMOCRACY IS NOT SUSTAINABLE
    So why is it pushed upon us?
    Its not!take a look at the african continent
    DEMOCRACY IS PUSHED ON US
    It is !take a look at the efford in Iraq
    Its not!OK south America
    Aww c,mon democracy is forced upon us
    No it's not :Syria...we like Coke
    What are we going to do tonight bwain..(Pakistan)...same thing as we do every night pinky...try to take over the world

Syria/ Coke/ Democracy... what?!

• Advertisement

boards + 4AM + unreadable posts = someone being drunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,182 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The real corruption in America stems from the media and runs as far as its education system; keeping people either misinformed or non-informed about the world as a whole, imo. Terror Alert: Elevated srpings to mind instantly. Why 'Elevated'? That implies to the average Joe that the terror alert has just risen or something; you couldnt say Medium, Moderate, or what we all know to be true "The same as it always has been".

Then there's the US military superiority. You have to appreciate at some point the sheer brilliance of it to be truthfully honest: Military advancement can bring real world results. Unfortunately during times of war (wars that are engaged IMO simply to justify military spending) they spend even more money getting them out of situations they ironically aren't prepared for: You would think that since one of the last times the US got its hands dirty in a uniformed war was back during the Cold War, they wouldve learned a thing or two about fighting terrorism, but unfortunately non-uniformed aggressors are tricky bastards.

9/11: I can't say IMO wether or not the US or the terrorists were really behind the attack; but I'm still haunted by the Free-fall Collapse Theory.
    Either way, America was presented with an extremely disturbed population and within 2/3 days polls showed the vast majority called for war.

Its no secret that America profited from this as its no decret that America benefits from installing dictatorships in the Third World: Protectionsism is of course one way to subvert their economic development but sending in someone to stir up a civil war thats even better: you can set them back for decades or more.

This is exactly what happened with Saddam IMHO; he was planted to create instability to make the area more profitable to foreign investment. However, when he became too large and perhaps even with the ability to commit invasion, thats when you have to pluck them out, add democracy etc. so the First World doesnt really fully understand whats going on.

Thats why the US didnt really get involved in.... **** I can't remember the 2 countries; both of them firing rockets at eachother over some POWs. It was beneficial to let them destroy eachother's infrastructures: who do you think is going to move in later and repair the damage? 1st World commercial interests: US construction crews, etc.

anyway thats enough filling for one post.

Advertisement