Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

blocking ip

• 26-01-2007 8:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭

is there software i can run to block my ip address, i went onto my dod clan website there was an advert for software that could pinpoint your address.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

no but you can use a free proxy. just google free proxy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Even using a proxy your ip can still be traced. The only option is a good firewall. Your router should have one built in. But have a software version too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 695 ✭✭✭DaSilva

Anti wrote:
    Even using a proxy your ip can still be traced. The only option is a good firewall. Your router should have one built in. But have a software version too.

Forgive me, but how will a firewall hide your IP?

A anon proxy will hide your IP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

I dont mean to hide it. I mean to block against attacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Looks like he wants something to hide his IP so they can't determine his details etc.

So a proxy would be useful. But why would you even bother. So what if someone has software to get your ip address details. Anything you use on the internet knows your ip address.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,949 ✭✭✭trout

pm. wrote:
    is there software i can run to block my ip address, i went onto my dod clan website there was an advert for software that could pinpoint your address.

i worked with a chap from america, who was a Marine radio operator in the 90's ... he was more than a little paranoid, and swore by products from Anonymizer

it's hard to block your IP address from someone who is really after it, you can disguise it, via an upstream proxy, or a chain of proxies ... question is ... is it worth the effort?

there is a free 7 day trial for Anonymizer's anonymous surfing product here ...
    https://www.anonymizer.com/consumer/products/trial/home.html?link=a&id=trial

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I wouldn't be too worried. Much of that software is utter cack, and only gets as far as an exchange. Hell, much of them tell me that I'm in Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭pm.

I wouldn't be too worried. Much of that software is utter cack, and only gets as far as an exchange. Hell, much of them tell me that I'm in Limerick.

ok thanks, just got a bit of a fright when it could tell me what provider i was using and my location, thanks for the replies lads.

Advertisement