Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sending money to America

Options
  • 26-01-2007 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭

I have to send money on a regular basis(weekly/monthly) to America.

Has anyone got a clue of the best/cheapest/handiest way to do this.

From my(limited) research bankdraft was the cheapest for me. And I'm not going to consider western union(too pricey)

I was hoping to setup a standing order but apparently this can't be done. Anyone got any ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

If its someone you know well try this -

Set up a new bank account (one of the no fee ones) and get a laser card for it. - Give the laser card & pin number to the person in the states and every week / month you deposit €uro into the bank account and they can withdraw it in US$ with a better exchange rate than the bank give and with no delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

If they have a paypal account, you could use that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

mcaul wrote:
    If its someone you know well try this -

Set up a new bank account (one of the no fee ones) and get a laser card for it. - Give the laser card & pin number to the person in the states and every week / month you deposit €uro into the bank account and they can withdraw it in US$ with a better exchange rate than the bank give and with no delays.

Wouldn't there be large enough charges on each withdrawl? And what damage could a person do to the bank account with the card?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

dotsman wrote:
    If they have a paypal account, you could use that.

Can you setup paypal to be automated? Like a standing order?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Can you setup paypal to be automated? Like a standing order?

Not sure but there might be hefty fees for sending money over, having to convert it from euro to dollars and other Paypal fees.
    Setting up a bank account, you'll pay fees of some sort or another, especially with an ATM card. The government duty every year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭mcaul

Wouldn't there be large enough charges on each withdrawl? And what damage could a person do to the bank account with the card?

That's why I say "if its someone you know well"

Bank charges are usually about 2.5% of the transaction value but you get good exchange rates in exchange.

Paypal looks to be best option though.

Advertisement