Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Week-End in Limerick, yer recommendations please!

Options
  • 26-01-2007 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭

Hey folks, Myself and my Girlfriend are gonna spend Valentines Week-end in Limerick, we're both from Galway.

I've only been out in Limerick twice and that was at my mates Rag Week and I just followed the lads round the student places and college bars in UL.

Anyone suggestions on where to go out, ideally away from the student buzz. What's the best places for a Friday and a Saturday night. Clubs, pubs, gigs, stand-up comedy etc.

We'll probally be having dinner at the hotel but have yis any suggestions for a nice place for lunch in the city center during the day, that is not Subway/O'Briens etc, ye know yerselves, somewhere cosy with good food.

Cheers folks, I appreciate yer input!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭jimbozo

Eat in the Wild Onionhttp://www.wildonioncafe.com/menu1.htm if you get a chance........but be there before 3 as they sometimes close early.

Brilliant value, amazing service and seriously class american food. Run by a really charming old american lady. It will cure any hangover from friday night.

It doesnt look like much but it is great. If its busy you can agree a time to eat and have a look at the nearby market which is worth a look too....enjoy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

pubs i guess nancy blakes the new flannerys smyths or clohessys (the first 3 are
    all on denmark street right beside each other)they usually tend to have
    slightly older crowds but on weekends are always packed solid
    For food i would recommend the texas steakout on o connell street or zwe tons
    if u like chinese. Texas steak out is nice but its pricey
    Could also try luigi malones
    If u are lookin for somewhere romantic you might want to book a dinner
    in the radison just outside of the city if u have a car
    Its really quiet not crazy expensive but its fantastic imho

• Registered Users Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭source

If you're looking for someplace cosy for lunch, La Picola Pizzeria near the corner of O'Connell street and Mallow St is nice, it's quite small and has a really nice atmosphere and some great Italian food. Also Fat Zoe's on patrick street by Arthurs Quay have some nice food and again a nice compact place so nice atmosphere there too.

Don't go to milano's they don't serve steak!!!!!????!!!!

Don't go to Luigi Malones if you want someplace quiet, it's quite open and can get very loud as it is so big with no partitions.

There's also a place called the cellar beside Empire Music on o'connell st, which is very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Agree with the above post on Luigi Malones....the food is hit and miss too....Texas Steakout is good and Milano is fine if you're not that big into meat. I've heard good things about Harris Brassarie at the bottom of the Riverpoint Tower, though it could be a little pricey....It's hard to tell with fairly new places. I would avoid the George as the Lynch Group have an innate ability to pick cooks rather than chefs (and cooks who like a looottttt of salt at that).

Finnegans out passed Castletroy has an excellent reputation for food, but be prebared to wait for a table...If you're looking for an older than student crowd bar...try Bentleys or the Bank (both on O'Connell St)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭adaminho

Hi Muzzy, I'd disagree with Foinse on Milano. It mainly does Pizzas and Pasta dishes but has lovely food great views of the river and is very good value. I recently went there for dinner and 2 starters 3 main courses and a bottle of house white came to €68. For Bars I'd agree with everyone else on Nancys, Flannerys or Smyths though they do get extremely busy!

The weekend of the 10th is also the end of the unfringed festival based mainly in the belltable http://www.myspace.com/belltable Although if you hark back to your Student days the Sultans of Ping are playing Dolans on Saturday night.:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Comedy gigs are regular features in both Dolan's and Baker Place......

I'd skip on Luigi Malone's; similar to The Spur in The Crescent, it's not a place to go if you want food that you can taste. Unfortunately La Romana have taken off my two favourite dishes - Seafood Crépes and Steak Diane, but it's still a good spot.

It depends on what you like. My recommendations would be

Steak, etc : Texas Steakhouse
    Thai : Bambu or Thai Gourmet
    Italian : La Picolla
    Indian : Mogul Emperor

Milano is nice, but it's kinda limited in choice; if you like a dish on the menu, though, it's top-class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Its all subjective anyway but here's my run down..(ones in bold are the only ones I'd bring my missus to on Valentines)
    Texas Steakhouse - Food Ok but a complete rip off for what you get
    Bambu - nice (thai)
    Poppadums - v.nice(indian)
    Copper and Spice - V. Nice(indian)
    La Picolla - Never Impressed but ok
    Mogul Emperor - Nice food/not nice place really
    Azure- New on O'Connel St. Thought it was great for lunch anyway. Will be back there
    The George Hotel - Poor.Expensive and not very imaginative. Nice place though.
    Milano's - probably the same as Galways one..not great
    Sage Cafe on Catherine Street - Damn tasty lunches.
    Harris Bar is excellent for food but lacks a little in atmosphere. Every time Ive been there it has been very quiet. Food very nice though. Guinea Fowl there was class.
    Clarion Hotels and Suites both do very nice food. (Asian fusion type stuff but very nice)
    Hate Luigi Malones - horrible excepot for the cocktails and beer
    The Square up by the Crescent is supposed to be quality but i've yet to try it and Bruxelles on Henry Street is fab except v.expensive.
    Cellar - Used to be good but not so much anymore.A bit of an old school place. (food like mammy makes..meat and two veg/burgers/ a bit 1970's and not really somwhere for a Valentines meal)
    Aubars isnt bad if they got rid of the attitude of the place. Bar is nice but always seems to be a bit empty at night
    If you want a really nice meal(it being valentines and all) , I'd take a taxi to either Bunratty where there are some excellent places (Gallaghers for seafood/Bunratty Manor is excellent and The Red Door is very tasty/Durty Nelly has two fine resturaunts as well)
    or Try the Mustard Seed in Ballingarry or there's one or two in Killaloe(Goosers). None of these are very far from City Centre by taxi.

There's a few more down by Steamboat Quay but not sure what they are like. Dolans is supposed to be ok for food as well but don;t know anyone who has been. Very small apparently

If you're looking for breakfast try Jaffas on Henry Street. Was there yesterday. Tasty. The Wild onion is nice enough but is not your normal eaterie. Last time I was there i was put at a table with a load of randomers..weird but the way she works it. Food is different to the norm but not amazing.

Clubs - Limited really (especially if you want to avoid the studenty crowd) but i'd avoid Icon and Trinity Rooms both young ish/****e music and studenty..). Costelloes is a dump. Bakers is open again but v.studenty/hippy.
    Dolans is good when they put something on like Comedy or good music. Tends to be loads of cover bands though
    Would also be worth checking what is on at the Belltable or what Daghda Dance crew or Impact Theatre groups are doing when you are about if thats your thing
    Pubs - Nancy's/Flannery's/White House/Tom Collins/Locke
    Avoid Bentleys/Bank. The food in the bank is terrible as well so avoid..Bentleys is a much much older crowd.(like 40+ and married)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Liam Byrne wrote:
    Unfortunately La Romana have taken off my two favourite dishes - Seafood Crépes and Steak Diane, but it's still a good spot.
    QUOTE]

Is that not closed down and is called Azure now ? Much better than La Romana in fairness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭4tothefloor

Regarding the pubs - if you don't like big super-pubs, stay away from Cornmarket, Smyths, New Flannery's and Clohessy's. They're all packed, expensive and the drink is poor. Personally I hate them as they have no atmosphere either and are akin to glorified cattle-marts.

The best pubs in town for cosyness and atmosphere are Nancy Blakes, The Locke (on the river), Mickey Martins and The Wicked Chicken. The cooler more laid back people in town tend to go to these pubs, the superpubs tend to be for the smears and people who think Westlife are talanted :p

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Souths, Dolan's (good food there too), Bobby Byrnes, Tom Collins are all good pubs. I agree the superpubs are mostly overpriced cattle marts with poor beer.

I had a very poor and abusive service experience in The Wild Onion recently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭cmurph

for pasta i absolutely love bella italia on thomas street,

a taxi to the mustard seed will cost about 25euro each way, it is in my opinion the best meal you will get, service and athmosphere are superb...
    meal costs 60euro each i think, but its fine dining at its best.

you would need to book though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 dogged

I am a troll. Pity me.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭ellenmelon

dogged wrote: »
    I am a troll. Pity me.

oh for the love of god. dont drag up old threads! especially when you're going to post what looks like intentional badmouthing of a business using a new account.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement