Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weird home Linksys network problem

• 27-01-2007 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

I have a linksys wireless router in my livingroom which connects to the PC upstairs and a laptop which is used all over the house. My ISP is NTL.

Sometimes, the PC cannot connect to websites, it gets stuck on looking up.... whatever site Im after.

The quick way to fix this, is to run downstairs, switch on the laptop and open firefox. All of a sudden, the connection to websites on the PC works fine straight away.

Its frustrating! Has anyone any idea whats going on there?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Do you have the same DNS server settings on the laptop and PC?

Check with a start->run->cmd and ipconfig /all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭smcelhinney

Leave it as is, it'll keep ya fit.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 force4

I had a similar problem with mine. Bring up your settings page http://192.168.1.1 and change the connection lease time,default is set very short [6mins i think] set it to zero for a day and that should sort it. I set mine to "keep alive" which is under the password as well which worked for me. I connected a lynksys range expander to it as well which took me about a week to get right but works very well ,it drops the wireless connection occasionally usually if we overload it . I connected a pc, 2 laptops , psp's and playstation 2 to the network and all work , just make sure you keep a note of the IP address's to avoid a conflict if u do hook up a load of devices .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 force4

1 more thing , set just one program to firewall and manage your network.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Thanks for all the tips! I thought I had it fixed but its back again. Grr.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Peanut

Try leaving a ping -t x.x.x.x running on whatever machines you leave on, pinging another machine (like, pinging the router from the PC), to see if it's something to do with a timeout due to no network traffic being passed.

Advertisement