Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Catch 22

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

That's quite interesting that you enjoyed one so much and the other so little. I have read neither but usually the author's style has a lot to do with liking/disliking a book too, not just the story :confused: so its strange that you would like one and not the other.

Yeah, I'd imagine it's unusual; certainly for me it is anyway. But when you think about it, lots of great bands have had sh*t albums. Perhaps dud output (by good artists) happens less in literature, but I'd hold up Radiohead as an example of a band whose work has - depending on who you talk to - varied hugely in quality. I'm not trying to spark an off-topic Radiohead debate, but I know some Radiohead fans who'd regard The Bends or OK Computer as among the best albums they ever bought*, and an album like Kid A or Amnesiac as among the worst.

* - back when people actually bought albums. I yearn for the days when I had to shell out the guts of 20 quid to find out if I liked an album.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 633 ✭✭✭dublinario

nipplenuts wrote:

Good as Gold was pretty good.

God Knows was a return to form.

Ooh, dunno. Something Happened scarred me. I take your recommendations on board, but as amazing as Catch-22 was, I'd be nervous of tucking into another Heller book after Something Happened-gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Mike07 wrote:
    Papillon is top of my list :)

Definitely worth reading, though it's been 10 years since I read it so my memory might be clouded.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Catch-22 is definitely one of my favourite books. It sits just behind A Secret History and inches in ahead of I, Claudius.

There's no doubt about it that it's difficult to get into for the first three quarters, though. One of the things that kept me reading was trying to spot every time a catch-22 situation arose. Practically every passage in the book has some bearing on the catch-22 idea. That makes it all the more entertaining.

I've yet to re-read it, but I will because I've a very strong inkling that it's layered. That usually puts books high up on best-seller lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

As you may guess, Catch-22 is my all-time favourite book. Everyone’s experience here though really sums up my experience with the book....

...it was first given to me while in my young teens by my sister who literally eats books....she'll finish at least 3 a week. She had managed the first 100 pages and couldn't finish the book at all (still the only book she hasn't completed apparently) and I read it cover to cover in about 2 days (a record for me). Must have read it about 6 times now over the years, but no matter how many people try to convince to read it they have the same problems as my sister. Only a couple of friends have enjoyed it like myself!

I was also disappointed by Something Happens....but I did try to read it straight after Catch-22 so I think I might give it another go soon. Catch As catch Can was an enjoyable read though.....he writes some good short stories and if you are an obsessive fan like myself, you'll enjoy the add-ons to Catch-22, including a full screenplay for the court martial scene! Brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I thought it was an amazing book, but it did take until about half way through before I really got into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

I read Catch 22 years ago and really liked it :)

I do think that you have to be in a certain frame of mind to read it and enjoy it. I've found that with other books I've read. No interest at all the first time around and on my next attempt I'm lapping it all up wondering how I didn't enjoy it the first time :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭bowsie casey

Catch 22 is definitely up there on my all-time favourites lists :) . I read it about 15 yrs ago at this stage, and I loved its characters and humour. The film of Catch 22 doesn't do the book any justice.

Like other posters said, it's the type of book that you either love or hate, not too many in-betweens.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The film of Catch 22 doesn't do the book any justice.

A very difficult book to adapt to the big screen, but I thought the film was pretty decent in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

ORIGNAL TOPIC:
    Fundamentally, Catch 22 is a humorous novel, without the hilarious situations and ridiculous characters it'd be rubbish, hence if the humour is not to your taste then the book won't fly.

I know people who think "The Royal Tenenbaums" is great movie, and hilarious start to finish, I know others who think its unfunny and dull. When the humour is slightly off beat, it tends to polarise people in my opinion.

TANGENT 1:
    For those who liked Papillion (also a favourite of mine), you might like "Shantaram".

TANGENT 2:
    I also thought Life of Pi was over-rated, but still a good read, and besides, it'll only take an afternoon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

A very difficult book to adapt to the big screen, but I thought the film was pretty decent in the end.

where can ye get\rent it?

Thought it was a really good book but the consistent oxymoronic style of comedy could get a little frustrating at times. As was said earlier you have to be in a certain frame of mind to read it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 862 ✭✭✭cautioner

Just finished Catch-22 today, pretty much same story as most others here. Didn't get properly into it until about the half-way mark. From then on I devoured it.
    Probably gonna have to call this one my favourite book. I mean, the moaning scene. Genius.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Has anyone read closing time? If so what are your thoughts on it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Hated it the first time. There were interesting parts but it was mostly dull. Got to around the chapter on Bologna and stopped.

Started reading it again a while ago but this time with a different mindset. I'm enjoying it so much now for some reason. Just on the Bologna chapter now too but I'm really liking it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Easily one of my most favored books. The humour, characters, events, it all comes together to make one of the greatest reads ever for me. It's one of the very few books that I've re-read. And re-read. The over riding sense of humanity, the lust for life, the plight of Yossarian being trapped by the establishment as we all are in some way. It's so refreshing that you'd never guess it was written so long ago now.

Unfortunately Closing Time is awful. Do not read. I did so and a different man wrote that book. A person changes as they go through life, I think Heller made a mistake trying to revisit Catch-22. (IMO).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Sandor wrote: »
    Easily one of my most favored books. The humour, characters, events, it all comes together to make one of the greatest reads ever for me. It's one of the very few books that I've re-read. And re-read. The over riding sense of humanity, the lust for life, the plight of Yossarian being trapped by the establishment as we all are in some way. It's so refreshing that you'd never guess it was written so long ago now.

Unfortunately Closing Time is awful. Do not read. I did so and a different man wrote that book. A person changes as they go through life, I think Heller made a mistake trying to revisit Catch-22. (IMO).

Ah that's too bad, I guess catch-22 will probably be the only book of it's kind that I ever come across :(

Advertisement