Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RAID controller cards. (RAID1)

• 27-01-2007 8:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭

When you have a 4 port RAID 1 controller card, how does mirroring work?

If you slap 4 drives on it, will 1 driver be mirrored by the other 3? or will they split in pairs? or will they act like RAID 0 just half the space?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

depends how you set it up, and what you want really.

What card is it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

I want to have a very reliable backup solution, with 4 drives, RIAD 5 cards cost a bit too much so i thought I'd get a RAID 1 card with 4 ports(haven't decided which one yet), but I don't really know what possibilities are there with 4 drives and RAID 1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭quaidox

hi cyberghost, this might be the options available to you, but i am not 100% sure, as i deal only with raid 5 arrays in work....
    "RAID 0+1: We stripe together drives 1, 2 into RAID 0 stripe set "A", and drives 3,4 into RAID 0 stripe set "B". We then mirror A and B using RAID 1. If one drive fails, say drive #2, then the entire stripe set "A" is lost, because RAID 0 has no redundancy; the RAID 0+1 array continues to chug along because the entire stripe set "B" is still functioning. However, at this point you are reduced to running what is in essence a straight RAID 0 array until drive #2 can be fixed. If in the meantime drive #3 goes down, you lose the entire array.

RAID 1+0: We mirror drives 1 and 2 to form RAID 1 mirror set "A"; 3 and 4 become "B" We then do a RAID 0 stripe across sets A and B. If drive #2 fails now, only mirror set "A" is affected; it still has drive #1 so it is fine, and the RAID 1+0 array continues functioning. If while drive #2 is being replaced drive #3 fails, the array is fine, because drive #3 is in a different mirror pair from #2. Only two failures in the same mirror set will cause the array to fail, so in theory, five drives can fail--as long as they are all in different sets--and the array would still be fine."
    Hope this helps..................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

That's actually a pretty good method, I'll try it! Thanks Quaidox! :)

Advertisement