Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help needed with wireless problem..

• 27-01-2007 8:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭

Story is i am with bt and use eircom router3347 and while everthing is okay with my 2 comps and laptop connecting,i cannot get a windows millenium comp(fixing this for a old guy up the road,had to reformat etc)to work on the internet.
    I can interact okay with the main computer with file sharing but no internet and i want to download updates etc.
    This is driving me nuts!!!
    I am using the wireless eircom dongle which i use on my win98 comp.
    Also using mac address security.The p3 800 has no network card for direct connection.
    And before the millenium haters say get xp,he couldnt afford it.

Would i be right in saying that its the physical address of the dongle i enter and can connect this to any comp and mac address should make computer work?

regards

kieran

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I don't have the same router but on mine when setting up a new PC / device, the Mac address of the new PC / device is added to the access permitted list on the router and the wep key is added to the PC / Device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭kmb

Hi Hagar,surely when you use mac address security you dont need wep?Or do you?
    I thought mac address meant only these comps can connect to router?

I dont have wep setup on laptop and have no connection problems

Regds

Kieran

I suppose it depends on the security level you have enabled on your router. I use both because when I scan for networks I get a neighbours coming in loud and clear as well as my own so I assume he gets mine. If you have WEP on the other PCs you will need it on this one too. AFAIK you must use the same WEP key on all PC / Devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭formatman

if file sharing is working then maybe a winsock2 problem ( messy to fix under ME sometimes )

are you getting page not displayed etc when trying to access the internet ?

resume you have set IE to not dial a connection and all that

I am using infrastructure mode on my dongle,i presume this is correct as opposed to ad hoc?
    on my laptop it says unsecured wireless network even though its mac address is in the router so maybe i should use wep also?Or can people now connect to my laptop wirelessly?

• Advertisement

No they won't be able to connect to your PC. The Mac security takes care of that. The WEP encrypts the data that is being sent/received between devices so that it if it is intercepted by a third party it cannot be deciphered. Infrastructure would be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

Both WEP and MAC filtering are very easy to bypass so I would consider using WPA encryption. ME does not have WPA built in but do a google search and you will find free software available.

Also make sure the OS is fully updated. There are a few unofficial update packs on the msfn.org forums which can be good.

Lokking into it,it seems i have no ip address and no default gateway under ipconfig/all for my ethernet adaptor.

My DHCP SERVER IS 255.255.255.255
    Any ideas?

Regards,
    Kieran

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭lamaq

Well that would certainly explain why there is no internet. The default gateway should be the address of the router and the DNS should be the same as well. Not to familiar with eircom routers but I think the address is normally 192.168.0.254, with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 .

Your DHCP server is not setup, have a look through the menus on the router it will be there somewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭stanley1

• Advertisement

Thanks lads for all the help,problem solved,reinstalled the usb dongle and all okay now.

regards

Kieran

Advertisement