Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prettiest Chapels/Churches in Co Dublin?

Options
  • 27-01-2007 9:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

I am planning a small wedding for August and would like to be married in a quaint chapel somewhere in Co Dublin (preferably within 30 minutes drive of city centre).

In your opinion, what is the prettiest Catholic church or chapel in this area?

In my imagination, my ideal place would have the following criteria, but I am interested in hearing about all chapels of aesthetic appeal:

small grey stone chapel by the sea.

What do you think?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Have you checked all the requirements for getting married here?
    http://irelandforvisitors.com/articles/getting_married_in_ireland.htm

There are very many pretty churches, but check all the red tape first, especially the residency requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

There is a nice church in Stepaside, in the lower part of the Dublin mountains. A nice place for a wedding. It is away from the coast, but has a nice view of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭postgrad

I do know about the requirements for marriage, but thanks for looking out for me:D I am living here as a student at UCD, and though my fiance is living in the states, he'll becoming over again for the residency.

Thanks for the tip on Stepaside. I think Isaw this church from a distance when I was driving through the Wicklow mountains. Beautiful--I'm thinking of something a little closer if I can help it, but I'll keep it in mind.

Does anyone know about the church in Sandymount? What do you think about it? What's it like?

Also, I hear there is a small, pretty church by St. Stephen's Green, anyone know about this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

I don't know anything about the one in Sandaymount. The University church, as it is commonly known, on St. Stephen's Green is nice. It actually crossed my mind when I first saw this thread, but I thought that you might prefer something further out. It looks small from outside, as only the entrance is there, but it is bigger inside, widening out behind the two buildings on either side of the entrance. It is on the side between Leeson Street and the Luas. Drop in someday and have a look.

university_church_exterior_lge.jpg

university_church_interior_lge.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 493 ✭✭King.Penguin

st nicolas of myra church in Kinsealy is very quaint. near airport too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Some churches are very strict on who can be amrried in them it is not like booking a function room.
    Some will not let people who are not of the parish use them and even then you have to be a regular attenee at mass.

I suggest that you do your researach as to what is required.

Advertisement