Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Traveller's Tale

Options
  • 27-01-2007 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

Exhausted and soaked to the skin after a long day's journey, a traveller and his heavily-laden mule knocked on the door of a lonely farmhouse.

"Would there be any chance of some shelter for the night ?", asked the traveller of the farmer who answered the door. "I'm completely out on my feet, and as for my mule, I doubt if he can walk another step. He's completely knackered."

"Well you'll be very welcome to stay in my house. My wife will dry your clothes and we'll give you breakfast in the morning", said the kindly farmer. "But I'm not so sure about the mule - I only have one stable, and my stallion is in there at the moment. Unfortunately his mare is away at the moment and he's in an extremely rampant state. But let's go and see what we can do."

The two men walked through the heavy rain to a large barn, and half-opened the door to squeeze inside. Sure enough, the stallion was there, snorting and raking the straw-covered floor with his hooves.

Looking around, the farmer suddenly said "I have it ! I'll hold a bag over the stallion's head, and you lead your mule inside and tether him in that dark corner. Throw that white dustsheet over him, and he'll be grand for the night - the stallion won't suspect a thing."

After a struggle, this they did - and when the farmer took the bag off the stallion's head, although the stallion looked around suspiciously, the made no move towards the mule, head-down in the corner, quite exhausted, and covered with the dust-sheet.

In the morning, rested and feeling fit after a hearty breakfast, the traveller cautiously opened the door of the barn, but to his surprise, although the stallion was in his stable, there was no sign of the sheeted mule. In a panic, he ran down the farm track towards the main road. In the field next to the road, a farm labourer was digging potatoes.

"Have you seen any sign of my mule this morning ?", he shouted. "He's a grey one, with one ear longer than the other".

The farm labourer tipped back his cap and scratched his head. "Well, I certainly saw a mule about 5 o'clock this morning, going that way at about 50 miles an hour. I didn't notice his ears, but he was grey all right. He had a white handkerchief sticking out of his arse".

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Equine contraception!! :D

Made me grin!

(When I read the first couple of paragraphs I was expecting a variation on the old "you'll have to share a bed with my daughter" gag)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

V good :D

Advertisement