Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House Name

• 27-01-2007 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭

I'm moving house and have to give the house a name. We would like to call it Silver Birches (because it's surrounded by them).
    I'd really appreciate it if someone could give me the Irish for this name, together with a guide to its pronunciation. Forgive my ignorance, Ireland is my adopted country.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

How 'bout "Na Beitheanna Geala"? Pronounced "Na Beh-anna gal-a" (that's beh like bed) - roughly anyways! It actually means the bright birches rather than the silver birches but that works better in Irish imo. The actual word for silver is used more for metallic things.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Oliverdog

Simu, thank you very much for this. So presumably, for brevity, Na Beitheanna would be The Birches - and in the same way Na Caorthann would be The Rowans ? (We have other trees !)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Yeah, the plural for caorthann is caorthainn, though.

Thanks again - that's perfect.

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kwekubo

Just checked focal.ie (a terminological database), and "beith gheal" is indeed the official translation for "betula pendula" (the silver birch).

• Advertisement

Thanks kwekubo - and that DB is a valuable resource too.
    John.

Advertisement