Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Slow network transfer speeds

• 27-01-2007 12:42pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Today for the first time I transfered files from my laptop to my PC via the wireless network I set up last year only to discover that it takes about 2 minutes for a 1mb file !

The laptop is connected by wireless to my router (Netgear FM114P 802.11b) and my PC via ethernet. Each machine is connected to the 'net and can download at 1Mb/sec and both machines are running XP (one family and the other Pro)

The PC's nic is configured to 100Mb full duplex.

I'll try to connect the laptop via cable and then a direct connection from latop-to-PC with a crossover cable later today but thought I'd post this here first incase someone sees an obvious problem :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Wireless speeds are just hopeless. Expect a transfer rate of around 3 Mbps when using wireless. A wired connection would greatly improve performance -- you could actually expect 100 Mbps.

Hopefully the next generation wireless technology, 802.11n, will really improve on this weakness.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Really? So when I upgrade my connection to a 25Mb line next week I shouldn't expect to get the 10Mb/sec that my router advertises?

Thanks for the reply !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭carrotcake

ethernet wrote:
    Wireless speeds are just hopeless. Expect a transfer rate of around 3 Mbps when using wireless. A wired connection would greatly improve performance -- you could actually expect 100 Mbps.

Hopefully the next generation wireless technology, 802.11n, will really improve on this weakness.
    3Mb? I get ~18Mb with WPA encryption on. Almost 54Mb when it's turned off.

Having said that, when NTL had their brief 10Mb internet stint I could only reach 10Mb with a wired connection... which I found a bit strange

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

carrotcake wrote:
    3Mb? I get ~18Mb with WPA encryption on. Almost 54Mb when it's turned off.

Having said that, when NTL had their brief 10Mb internet stint I could only reach 10Mb with a wired connection... which I found a bit strange
    You must have better equipment or else I've thicker walls!

That's right, Ponster -- your wireless connection can limit the achieved bandwidth for your Internet connection. 25 Mbps?! I'm quite happy on 2 Mbps down, 256 kbps up.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

ethernet wrote:
    25 Mbps?! I'm quite happy on 2 Mbps down, 256 kbps up.

It's the standard in France. 25Mb for €25.

Amazing what a little competition does eh? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Wireless is not duplex like ethernet, so you generally only get have the rated speed in transfers. ie. with a 54Mbps router you'll only get ~20Mbps. And that assumes ideal conditions. Now for people in ireland that speed is always going to be faster than their internet connection, so there's no bottleneck. Obviously with your connection in France, the router is. So the alternative is to use ethernet (100M or 1G) or get an draft-n router and network card.

Advertisement