Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lost Mobile Phone; is it possible to locate it through cell id?

Options
  • 27-01-2007 3:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭

While there is still power left is it possible to put a trace on the phone and try to tie it to the location of the mast it is on?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Not unless you work for < insert US goverment organisation > or work deep within the tech dept of whatever network you're on.

Sorry. Your best bet is to ring your network and get the phone blacklisted and the SIM suspended before someone uses all your credit / runs up a bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I put a bar on outgoing calls so no one will be able to run up a bill. Not goin to give up on it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

stepbar wrote:
    I put a bar on outgoing calls so no one will be able to run up a bill. Not goin to give up on it yet.
    Hope you blocked texts and GPRS too :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭kaizersoze123

You've been watching too many movies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

You've been watching too many movies

Usual suspects much ?

I'm sure you can find a phones rough location from the base station , for a few reasons ( that young lad they found on the beach in the SW , and nokias could show you the distance from the base station if you enabled the engineering menu , seen it , did it ) .If you could kick the phone onto another mast you'd have a fair idea where it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭nickhilliard

You can certainly ask your mobile phone provider for the ID of the cell used for the last phone call. Dunno if front-line support can deal with this, but the information is there, and can be retrieved.

[caveat: it took me several months to get sample data for this a couple of years ago, although the process might be a little more streamlined these days]

-nick

Advertisement