Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit Card - money restricted, but not taken

Options
  • 27-01-2007 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭

So, I booked some flights with Air France .. about 1300eur worth. It was about 2 weeks ago now, so I ring my credit card company to see why the payment isn't showing in my online banking.

The girl tells me the funds were checked 22/01/07, and put on reserve. I ask her what this means - she tells me it means they haven't taken the funds yet, but I can't use them. So essentially they're in limbo.

I ring Air France to see why they haven't completed the payment today and the girl on the phone says "err .. bla .. eh .. em ..." and eventually it ended with me getting a call back this coming Monday.

This has happened me once before and it's really annoying. Why cant' people either take the money, or don't take it ... why does it have to be "on reserve" and why does online banking provide no way for you to know that you've actually got 1300eur less on your limit at this moment in time due to this reserve?

Why is this common practice? And is there anything I can do to force the payment to go through quicker?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Why are you in a rush to have the money on your online statement? Just consider the money spent and leave it at that! If you want to pay it off early (not sure why!) then just stick the money into your credit card account and it'll all balance out!

Companies tend to process credit card transactions in batches for cost reasons, they'll process your transaction when they're ready.

As long as your flights are booked and the company are able to confirm that then you shoudn't have a problem. Not much you can do to get the processing side hurried up I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

It's to do with Air France (in this case) saving money you're saying?

My problem is that if I hadn't rang the cc company I'd have just assumed that 1300eur was still free, and would only have been declined at the point of sale!

Advertisement