Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to check what speed my cable modem is set to?

Options
  • 27-01-2007 5:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭

I have chorus broadband with a Motorola Surfboard SB5101E cable modem. I was on the 2 meg package but rang chorus earlier today (11am) and asked to be upgraded to the 6 meg option. The girl on the phone confirmed that it had gone through on their system and that my speed would increase within 24hours.

Ive tried power cycling the modem to see if it would increase the speed but it made no difference. I am just wondering is there anyway of seeing the speed the modem is set to like you can on DSL modems as i am sick of running speed tests to see if it has increased yet!

Also I always thought that the "within 24hours" line was just so you don't ring them every ten minutes asking why your speed hasnt increased...Like if you upgrade your tv package to include sky movies they say it will be on within 24 hours but it is usuallly active in a matter of minutes. Would it not be the same for broadband?

Any info would be much appreciated as im after getting so impatient waiting all day for the increase!!

Ps: I have entered the modems page on 192.168.100.1 but that gives very little options and mostly deals with frequencies and signal strentgh not speed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

You could try http://www.irishisptest.com/myspeed.php to get a rough estimate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

Ive been running speed tests all day waiting to see the increase, i was hoping that there would be a page that could be accessed on the modem that would tell me what speed chorus have set the modem to.
    I suppose I'll just have to wait another couple of hours! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

you probably have been upgraded but nobody gets above 3mbps usually on chorus except the very few, and i'll hazard a guess that unless its between 4am and 7am you probably wont either, personally you are better off on the slower package for now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Ive been running speed tests all day waiting to see the increase, i was hoping that there would be a page that could be accessed on the modem that would tell me what speed chorus have set the modem to.
    I suppose I'll just have to wait another couple of hours! :(

Don't know if this helps. I have NTL and if you type in 192.168.100.1 that brings you to the modem screens and you should see it there.

But I don't know if Chorus is the same.:)

EDIT: Only saw that you've done this already. Sorry!

Ok i had a look at the log that the modem keeps itself and to me it looks like chorus are trying to update the modem with the wrong software or file. The log reads as follows.(Im not sure why all the dates say 1970 or why the time is nearly always midnight)

1970-01-01 00:00:53 6-Notice M571.1 Ethernet link up - ready to pass packets
    1970-01-01 00:00:05 4-Error E107.0 SW upgrade Failed after download - Incompatible SW file
    1970-01-01 00:00:03 6-Notice E102.0 SW Download INIT - Via Config file easy.bin
    1970-01-01 00:00:11 3-Critical D003.0 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
    1970-01-01 00:00:02 6-Notice M571.4 Ethernet link dormant - not currently active
    1970-01-01 00:00:02 4-Error E107.0 SW upgrade Failed after download - Incompatible SW file
    1970-01-01 00:00:00 6-Notice E102.0 SW Download INIT - Via Config file easy.bin
    1970-01-01 00:00:14 3-Critical D003.0 DHCP WARNING - Non-critical field invalid in response.
    That is just some of the log, i didnt post it all because it pretty much repeats the same thing over and over! It doesnt try the upgrade anymore towards the end of the log though...I think I will ring Chorus again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Why are Chorus trying to update your router for a speed upgrade?

Ok lads thanks for all the replies...I rang chorus again at about twenty to nine...Expected them to be closed but got through straight away to a customer care rep who told me that he didnt know of anyway I could check my speed other than online speedtests. He looked up the account and said that my upgrade had been on hold but was due at 9 tonight?( don't understand why it would be on hold!!) and true to his word when i power cycled the modem a few minutes ago and ran the speedtest I was at the full 6megs, well 5.9ish down and 500ish up! Sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Very nice congratz :D

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

my modem always gets those errors, out of interest, let me know if it continues to log those messages while you are at 6meg.

Advertisement