Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

cars from england

Options
  • 27-01-2007 5:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33

i was loking to get a car and i was recomend to get one from england,i was looking around on ebay and they seem prety cheap.What i was wonderng is if there any problems bringing a car in from england,apart from the import tax????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,092 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Do a HPI check and get a mechanic to look over it and you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 munky_boy

well the mechanic bit should be fine as i am going over with my dad who is one.But as a matter of intrest what is a HPI check

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It's a check to see whether the car has been the subject of an insurance payout, has finance outstanding, has been stolen, etc. They can also check for mileage discrepancies. Have a look at www.hpi.co.uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A HPI check is where the HPI company can check a car via its registration or chassis number whether there is outstanding finance on the car, if the car was ever stolen or recovered, crashed with a claim made against the insurance company, they can also check the service history, MOT and verify the correct mileage on the car. The HPI company in the UK has access to all this information via a central database. I think it costs around GB£150 for each car but money well spent if you find a car you want to buy.

More info on this webpage: http://www.hpicheck.com/newfrontend/

It is very important information to have when parting with your hard earned cash. There are alot of dodgy motors out there so you have to be very careful what you are buying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Rust is also a concern - try to get cars inland, away from the salty sea air.
    Also, sat nav is handy if you're driving over a long distance.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 339 ✭✭mastermind2005

Im thinking of doing the same, would i get away with having no licience or insurnace just to get it back to ireland ?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Im thinking of doing the same, would i get away with having no licience or insurnace just to get it back to ireland ?

No. Whatever about driving the car from one country to another without a valid licence, driving without insurance is asking for trouble. If you are involved in an accident while in transit your in trouble.

Ring your insurance company and ask them about the possibility of being covered while driving the car back from the UK. Alot of people who buy cars in the UK drive them home so it must be a common practice for insurance companies here to provide this service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

If you have no licence then you have no business driving any car any distance in a foreign country. If you have no insurance then you have no business driving anything anywhere.

If you were caught driving in the UK without either they you would be arrested and put in a cell until you were put in front of a judge to explain yourself. The police in the UK can now confiscate and crush cars that are driven without insurance.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

LOL. Mastermind, eh? :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭Gatster

Originally Posted by mastermind2005
    would i get away with having no licience or insurnace just to get it back to ireland
    You are a menace to decent society. If a traffic copper in the UK runs the plate of the car you are driving it will show up on their DB as not having insurance, and possibly not tax, so at least you'll get banged up and the car confiscated and/or crushed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

there used to a really comprehensive thread stickied on here about importing a car from UK....I wonder what happened to it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

lol @ gatser

I was wondering if this was the done thing or what is, id imagine its near impossible to get the likes of quinn direct to insure an english car, ill see what the post says mike posted (Edit; its only rules about posting)

Cheers

MM

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

All irish insurance companies in my experience will insure you on an english car provided you change it back to irish plates within a certain amount of time.

I've done this several times with Quinn and Allianz.

hmm.. but does it cost any more then your normal years insurance?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Definately not. Custom's were pulling EVERY car at Pembroke on the weekend. Asked for ID, proof of ownership, popped the bonnet and checked chassis number and also searched cars.

They were even ID'ing grannies (lol) and searching through campervans etc.

I asked the custom's guy, he said hadn't I had a valid license that matched the V5, I wasn't getting on the Ferry

john whats a v5 ? do you do this yourself often ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

V5 is the UK Log book.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭Moanin

hmm.. but does it cost any more then your normal years insurance?

No, but really depends if the new car you are driving in the UK is worth more than the car you currently drive.It's similar if you change your car here and your new car is valued more or has higher horsepower

john whats a v5 ? do you do this yourself often ?

V5 is the UK equiv of a Owners cert. With the UK one, the new owner keeps a section of it, unlike the Irish version

No I don't do it often, only done it once as I couldn't find the right spec'ed car over here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭LOTTOWINNER

Is the HPI check a waste of money if you buy from a main dealer? I have bought second cars in Ireland from main dealers and never felt the need to do a credit check.
    Is the situation different in Britan?

good point lotto i was thinking that myself. also i was on the phone to the vro in dundalk today the guy said i need to pay the vrt within 24 hours of importing the car ?, just wondering what other peoples experiences are with this?

24 hours in theory, but many ignore this and pay it when they feel like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Spitfire666

Im looking at doing the same soon. Insurance is no problem to change over. I recently had my axel snap and while it was being fixed i borrowed my mates car. Quinn didnt charge me anything extra to change from a 6 grand peugeot 206 to a 14 grand hyundai coupe for a month. was done in minutes over the phone and im only 20 with a provis licence at the min. Will have my full one before i go to the UK/NI though. Am looking at getting an Audi TT and savings of 6grand can be had fairly easy buying in england.

bond, is there a way they can check how long its been since its been in the country ? john what do you think about the car check?

bond, is there a way they can check how long its been since its been in the country ?
    I don't think they have a way of checking, otherwise alot of people would be in deep trouble.

bond, is there a way they can check how long its been since its been in the country ? john what do you think about the car check?

I didn't do an AA check, just a HPI. The owner said to come over and inspect, and if I wasn't happy, he'd pay for my flight home.

When I got to the UK, I had the car lifted on a lifter, inspected, inspected, inspected and inspected some more. Car was 100% and I drove home ;)

You could be unlucky though and buy a bag of sh1t. It's the luck of the draw. Just make sure you have your paperwork/ID etc. in order. Custom's guy *DID* inspect UK (valid) tax disc at the Ferry, don't know if this is relivant or not

interesting to know what he would have done if you had no tax....

interesting to know what he would have done if you had no tax....

Probably fcuk all since

1) I was about 100m from the ferry
    2) It's upto the DVLA to do you for no tax in the UK IIRC (Could be wrong)

Think he was more interested in finding big bags of drugs, or bodies, or bodies full of drugs :D

• Advertisement

by rights even the dvla should just forget about it, if they did stop you tho and you had no insurance cert, would they give you 10 days to produce it at a station of your choice?:rolleyes: .

i think it would be fair though to get a refund on the remaining tax left on the vehicle seen as you did pay for it and could prove your not gonna be using it

Advertisement