Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

cars from england

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

have a question: my sister in law (brother's wife) wants to give me her fiesta (1996) from uk. its taxed and MOT'ed there. however, she cant add me to her licence (they're getting pretty bad there). i was wondering if i can get it insured from here (either on provisional or international licence) and drive it over here. what should/not be done?i will be returning the car in less than a year as i just need it to get to when i obtain my full driving licence and get a job here (student-graduating soon hopefully).

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Driving in the UK on an Irish provisional - not a chance - they enforce stuff like that.

If you have a year you could try doing the test over there, IIRC you need 6 months proof of living there , UK address ;) , waiting times are about 3 weeks to do the test.

international licence - have you actually passed a test somewhere ? - because you won't get an internation licnese with just a provisional.

have a look at
    http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/drivingpermit/default.asp
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/travel-and-recreation/motoring-1/driver-licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit

yes, i passed the test back home 6 years ago. after 5 years in uni, now going to start work soon, but im in a punishing rotation at the moment and wouldnt mind getting a car quickly to get around. it would be for driving here in dublin, not in the uk. i can get my brother to drive it to here, so uk driving issues dont arise.

my international licence is valid for a year and i got it before coming back here (spend 2 months home every year - vacation).

oh and yeah, even if back home we drive on the same side as here, they wouldnt change my licence :( - (and we called ourselves a british colony some time back). pft.

just passed my theory test yesterday. im in D8 - how do i get a provisional?what do i need?
    any ideas on the getting car to here thing from uk?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

AFAIK you can use your foreign full licence + the international permit here / uk for up to one year - but check the government web sites or with the AA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

I reckon at the end of the year im gonna import from uk.....just looked this up... an Audi S3 (2007) is €56,000 roughly to get new here..... in england its £25,000 (€38,000)!!!

Now is it just me or does that seem a bit too big a gap to not take notice of!?

I reckon ill be seeing much more UK reg cars floatin around here pretty soon if prices on cars like that continue to differ so much

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

Fizman wrote:
    I reckon at the end of the year im gonna import from uk.....just looked this up... an Audi S3 (2007) is €56,000 roughly to get new here..... in england its £25,000 (€38,000)!!!

Now is it just me or does that seem a bit too big a gap to not take notice of!?

I reckon ill be seeing much more UK reg cars floatin around here pretty soon if prices on cars like that continue to differ so much

dont forget to add VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

kdouglas wrote:
    dont forget to add VRT
    I know....but the overall figure is still going to be ridiculously short of the Irish retail price.

AFAIK you can use your foreign full licence + the international permit here / uk for up to one year - but check the government web sites or with the AA

thanks, ive heard thats possible.anyway, ill be visiting my brother often. however, my problem remains whether any insurance company will agree to insure me on either my provisional or international with the car still registered to my brother in the uk (With MOT having been completed last week - and taxed there) - only need third party fire and theft (as good as the car is, its still only worth £200-300)

Advertisement