Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW M6 and 196mph (vid)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭BrandonBlock

Nothin special, its not stock, ive seen tuned skylines at 600bhp doing more than that

Nothin special, its not stock, ive seen tuned skylines at 600bhp doing more than that

yeah but you'd probably be able to drive it and use it for stuff.

A 600bhp skyline would be a nightmare as a daily driver.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

The M5 (and presumably then the M6) can do over 200mph by just removing the limiter (reports say 206+)!
    IIRC it needs to be done it 6th and not 7th gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,397 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Nothin special, its not stock

It probably only has the limiter removed and the ECU remap resulted in a tiny gain only (to 534BHP). Rumours are that an ECU remap to 600+BHP is feasible

Noticed that it was only doing about 7k rpm at 196MPH (indicated). Max power in the standard car is not reached till 7.8k rpm

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

unkel wrote:
    It probably only has the limiter removed and the ECU remap resulted in a tiny gain only (to 534BHP). Rumours are that an ECU remap to 600+BHP is feasible

Noticed that it was only doing about 7k rpm at 196MPH (indicated). Max power in the standard car is not reached till 7.8k rpm

We recently had an M5 in stock, and I had it for half a day. Great fun altogether. We currently have an M6 in stock, and it's just as fun. Unkel is right, it is possible to remap to over 600 Hp, if you buy Autocar, in the rear of the Magazine, there's 2 different companies offering this service (Plus the de-limit function).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

unkel wrote:

Any car will struggle in the highest gear. Peak torque (which is more of a factor for snailing throught that kind of wind resistance) would be more of a factor. Dunno what peak torque is, but it'd be well below that.

It amazes me that German cars are only now getting into the 8000+ RPM rev range... 16-17 years after the Japs first realised that to get more power you need to burn more fuel... to burn more fuel (without forced induction or increased displacement) you need to spin faster... maybe the Germans weren't able to build such enignes until now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

On the autobahns last summer and on the ring my R32 had no problems keeping with M6 and M5's. As awesome a package as the M6 is, 160,000 euro is an awful lot of money for a car that can be matched by a 15000 euro skyline (not that the skyline is any match looks or refinement wise for the bm). The skyline is just as driveable as a daily driver too once its below the 500hp figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

No one has said how bloody stupid it is to drive at that speed. The clip shows street lamps at the very start so I am presuming that this reckless driving was done on a country road

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

TheNog wrote:
    No one has said how bloody stupid it is to drive at that speed. The clip shows street lamps at the very start so I am presuming that this reckless driving was done on a country road

Assume it was on a derestricted German autobahn. Easier for everyone, don't you think?

Although it was most likely the states due to LHD + a MPH clock.

Still the acceleration to 100mph is savage, and more useful than a 200mph top speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

Lets have a race then :p (i wish) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6EiNFiLhV0

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

ned78 wrote:
    We recently had an M5 in stock, and I had it for half a day. Great fun altogether. We currently have an M6 in stock, and it's just as fun. Unkel is right, it is possible to remap to over 600 Hp, if you buy Autocar, in the rear of the Magazine, there's 2 different companies offering this service (Plus the de-limit function).
    You work with Lambe & O'Connor?

Used to be up there a fair bit when I was a kid. They used to have some nice cars around alright.

Advertisement