Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Help diagnose tv problem

• 27-01-2007 5:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have a Sony Trinitron 32" flat screen tv (not lcd or plasma but one of the older ones). Last night while watching tv I heard a small crack type noise and the tv picture went slightly paler. It also went a little blurry down one side, as well as the picture going slightly out of proportion (if there is text on the screen it no longer all fits). Also if the screen goes black for a second there are very faint whitish lines across it.

Then today I was out of the room when it was on - when I came back in, it had gone into a type of "standby mode" but instead of having a constant red led to signal standby mode - if was flashing. This is the way it remains and I cant get it to work anymore

Anyone have any ideas on the problem - is it likely to be a major problem and beyond repair. I will probably bring it somewhere only it is very, very heavy and would like to have some hope that it can be fixed before lugging it somewhere

Thanks in advance for any thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Its not beyond repair at all (though it could be a number of things depending on the way things work in the tv) It shouldnt be to big a deal to fix.
    The way the LED is flashing would be a fault code. Giving you an idea as to what the problem is, if you have a service manual.
    If it was me, If the tv was anyway expensive, id get it fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Have a look here Link

It saved my bacon when my Sony threw a wobbler a few months ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Cheers Guys

Hagar - I tried getting into the service menu but couldnt

Anyway as you both said it is probably something small and can be fixed - hopefully something like a faulty fuse ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

its not a fuse, would be more than that... and service mode doesnt fix things that make cracking noises!..
    but have it looked at anyway..

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

The TV is now in a sort of protection mode, and the number of flashes is relevant to roughly assessing where the problem is.

Just bring it into anyone who can do Sony servicing, and have it repaired. It'd be worth repairing IMO.

• Advertisement
Advertisement