Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an IDE

Options
  • 27-01-2007 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I want to trick around with a few things mostly related to Web 2.0. Im a bit rusty when it comes to coding and my main background is in Java, I've dabled in others but never really used them for anything.

Im looking to create a small web application that is standards compliant and prefferably AJAX based. I was wondering if anyone here is working on apps like this and could recommend a good IDE to use (prefferably free)

Also can anyone recommend really good resources for CSS, XHTML and PHP.

PDD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭cousin_borat

Hi PDD,

Eclipse all the way plus its very useful to be familiar with working in it from a career perspective. Several large vendors are intergating Eclipse into their environments including BEA.

http://www.eclipse.org/home/categories/languages.php

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Last time I did a decent size PHP project I used PHPeclipse. If you're familiar with eclipse it's pretty simple to use. That said, if you're a Linux user, I'm getting more and more fond of Kate - its simple and does everything I want, including syntax highlighting!

As for XHTML, PHP & CSS resources, I own two excellent books I'd recommend to anyone, they are:
    Sams Teach Yourself PHP in 24 Hours
    HTML Utopia: Designing without tables in CSS

Of course, in any of these projects, as I'm sure you're aware, all technical requirements fall second to functional design principles!

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭warrenaldo

id have to agree with Eclipse. lots and lots of companies are opening themselves up to Eclipse - its becomming extremley popular. It offers bucket loads of features. Best of which is the ability to link in jar files and then have accesibilty to all their methods graphically ie.

I type "this." and it gives me the list of methods available on this object - i select it and it pops in the selection.

saves lots of time trawling through APIs

Advertisement