Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

More beggars than usual

Comments

One time during the summer I'd seen a boy stay outside the spar in fairview and beg for a couple of hours

Then while I was waiting on a bus he hopped into a taxi! I was shocked!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,035 ✭✭✭✭Stark

I noticed when I lived in Fairview that there was a **** load of beggars everywhere alright. I thought it was strange for somewhere outside the city centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Stark wrote:
    I noticed when I lived in Fairview that there was a **** load of beggars everywhere alright. I thought it was strange for somewhere outside the city centre.

Even Ranelagh has them.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

First we have the story of the Polish beggar caught with €11k, now we have have this... Beggars belief ;)

http://www.unison.ie/stories.php3?ca=9&si=1770277&issue_id=15221

"A YOUNG beggar in Dublin city centre, who refused to move on when asked by gardai, opened her blouse took out her breast and sprayed breast milk over the garda when told she was going to be arrested.

Romanian gypsies begging on the streets of Dublin are facing prosecution as part of a major Garda crack down. Romania joined the EU on January 1 and last month the Office of the Refugee Applications Commissioner received 220 asylum applications from Romanian nationals in one week. The Minister for Justice, Michael McDowell, has since applied an EU protocol stopping the office from processing the applications of EU nationals unless there were exceptional circumstances.

In recent weeks, gardai have noted hundreds of Romanian gypsies arriving at Dublin airport and other ports around the country. Most are women aged between 20 and 40 and some can beg up to €150 a day.

Gardai will only arrest someone if they refuse to move on. In the past week alone between 15 and 20 people have been arrested and brought before the District Court. All have been granted bail on condition that they stay away from the city centre. Their cases are due to be dealt with in the coming weeks. A Department of Justice spokesman said that "people from Romania and other EU states are allowed free entry to Ireland. However, if they want to stay longer than three months they need the funds to stay here or they have to get a work permit."

Rosanna Flynn of Residents Against Racism said there was little alternative to begging for the Roma gypsies."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

DonJose wrote:

In recent weeks, gardai have noted hundreds of Romanian gypsies arriving at Dublin airport and other ports around the country.

Oh how predictable, and I was called a racist by some members of Boards for forecasting it before.
    DonJose wrote:

Rosanna Flynn of Residents Against Racism said there was little alternative to begging for the Roma gypsies."

Yes, little alternative...like they can't work like everyone else...hrmm...

I wish Rosanna Flynn would hurry up and die already, the attention craving nuisance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Can I borrow a euro?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

I was on here this time last year saying these people are making thousands of quid a week and nobody listened to me.How'dya like them apples?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

I was in Rome last summer, and Romanian beggars were everywhere.
    One of their party pieces was begging on the metro's. The beggar (always female, and with a child) would walk up and down the train carraiges, one hand outstretched with a paper cup, the other hand holding the child - or so you would assume.

The child would be held by some hidden harness, and the womans free hand - which you assumed to be supporting the baby - would be having a good dip into your pocket:eek:

These are professional pickpockets, as well as beggars, and they give me the shivers when I see them....... I'm sure to be branded a racist for this, but I know what I saw over the space of a few weeks. Scum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

Degsy wrote:
    I was on here this time last year saying these people are making thousands of quid a week and nobody listened to me.How'dya like them apples?:D
    I said it myself.
    I remember seeing a documentary on BBC many years ago about beggers in London pulling in £400 a day. They worked the financial district and had apartments. £2,000 a week, tax free, for 5 days of sitting down with your hand out. I think that was about 10 years ago.

RB, You will be told by RAR that begging is all these people know and that they can't get a job because of this.
    McDonlads are hiring and I'm sure you could put them in the kitchen and teach them how to cook a ****ing big mac.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭shane86

DonJose wrote:

Who in the **** is this twat.

If you dont like them, simply do what I did, and annoy the bollix off them. Was in town Saturday when some bitch tried the oul charity scam on me, clipboard and all soliciting donations for a cause (tsunami orphans or something) printed on the paper. Seeing as I have worked in the financial sector I know a little about what legal requirements charities need to operate

Her "Please, look, please. Help, yes?"
    Me "Whats your charity reg number?"
    Her "My what?"
    Me "Your charity registration number (with building aggressive tone). You gotta have one to do this legally"
    Her "Eh...I have no number"
    Me "You have to, your a charity"
    Her (getting more confused) "Eh...no, no charity, my money"

At this accidental admittal she was bagging it for herself, I called her a kunt and told her to shove her clipboard up her gee. She mightnt know what a gee is but she got the messgae and went on her way swearing in Romanian at me :D

Some of them put a disabled relative at the Bachelors Walk corner, saw a woman hand her a tenner :eek: Whilst Ive sympathy for the disabled you know full well its some relation who is pocketing the lot. Ive no issue with down and outs sitting on the bridge with their cup merely asking anyone within earshot for a few coppers. And at least the Big Issue ones are actually providing something rather than simply demanding cash. Its the pricks who physically grab you for money, or worse the charity scammers, theyre the ones who need the piss taken out of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

shane86 wrote:
    Who in the **** is this twat.

The same twat who supported the lads who camped out in St.Patricks Cathedral

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Jocksy

Those gypsies are the scum of Europe. It disgusts me that people actually give me money. Theres a family of these scumbags in Galway who 'work' Shop. st. all day. The old man pretends to be a street performer by sitting beside some dancing leprauchans. He watchs as the children go around begging up and down the st. At night the whole lot are out selling flowers outside the clubs. No doubt they get plenty of money off social servieces as well. I'd actually like if somebody murdered them like the death squads they have in Brazil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Jocksy wrote:
    I'd actually like if somebody murdered them like the death squads they have in Brazil.

Bit extreme...I think we'd all happily settle for forced repatriation...although any non-roma Romanian you'll talk to will tell you they're equally unwanted in their own country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I'd love to know if the Romanian guy that stands outside either Quirkey's or the Savoy on O'Connell Street actually has a wonky leg that constanly shakes or is he putting it on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Stamp on his "good" foot someday and find out...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

one thing i've always found very good for curing the beggar problem, two words: Power Hose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Wertz wrote:
    Stamp on his "good" foot someday and find out...

I was thinking of doing that but if you get too close to him i've seen him latch onto peope for "support". I'd rather he didn't touch me.

gyppo wrote:
    I'm sure to be branded a racist for this, but I know what I saw over the space of a few weeks. Scum.

Wouldn't worry about it, as long as you know you're not a racist then pay no heed to what others may say on here. I've said stuff about Roma gypsies in the past and got called a racist for it, though I know I'm not a racist and was most likely generalising based on the experiences I've had with many, many of them in the past and tarring them all with the same brush. Fact remains, I've encountered hundreds, if not thousands, of Roma gypsies over the course of the past few years, 1 of them was a decent person (who I found out recently apparently murdered two people in the past!), the rest were beggers/thieves. They're a massive problem in every country they infest, be it Italy, Greece wherever and though I never discrimate based on race/assosciation with certain groups, I certainly make an exception when it comes to Roma gypsies.

Now, in the past I may have said these things about Romanians, which was certainly a mistake on my part as I was ignorant to the fact that the gypsies != ordinary Romanian citizens, they are the scourge of the Romanian society like they are in every other society they make their way into.
    julep wrote:
    RB, You will be told by RAR that begging is all these people know and that they can't get a job because of this.
    McDonlads are hiring and I'm sure you could put them in the kitchen and teach them how to cook a ****ing big mac.

I'm sure you could, but even easier jobs such as cleaning are available to them...yet they prefer to walk the streets robbing and begging...useless bastards.
    ferdi wrote:
    one thing i've always found very good for curing the beggar problem, two words: Power Hose.

Once upon a time, my mother made the mistake of giving a little Roma gypsy woman who called to the door some money and a loaf of bread/pack of biscuits. For two weeks straight after that day, we had two different gyspie children call to the door every day, asking for money and food as they were "friends of my mother". Like stray cats they were, donate to them once and they come back looking for more. Eventually I tired of this carry-on, and confronted the little beggars with the stern warning that should they, or any of their friends or family call to the door again, I'd pour hot water over them. Since then they've avoided the house :D
    Point being that though they may seem to have little English, they'll understand you when they need to, so no need to be whipping out power hoses on their skanky asses!

If you've been to some other European cities, you'll have more than likely witnessed the effect these people can have. I remember being in Crete, and literally hundreds of them walked the main strip every night, picking pockets and trying to sell crap. Same in Athens and Barcelona. I really, really hope the same thing doesn't happen here (Dublin/Cork/Galway/etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Jocksy

Ok so the murder suggestion is a bit much but surely something has to be done.

Can we not have a sterilisation program in place so at the very least these dogs cannot breed.

http://www.photo.net/photo/pcd0800/san-lorenzo-gypsy-57.4.jpg
    Scum

Truth
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roma_people

Jocksy wrote:
    Ok so the murder suggestion is a bit much but surely something has to be done.

Can we not have a sterilisation program in place so at the very least these dogs cannot breed.

http://www.photo.net/photo/pcd0800/san-lorenzo-gypsy-57.4.jpg
    Scum

Truth
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roma_people
    Still a *bit* too far, they are human beings afterall.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭ExoduS 18.11

One memory that specifically stands out in my mind was a young enough girl (with gold earrings etc mind you) was outside Easons on O'Connell street. I had to meet my friend and give him some change as his bank card wouldnt work or for some other reason. Anywho with the jingle of the money in my palm, within two seconds she was straight over trying to sell me a big issue. I kindly told her that i did not want one (and i actually was kind). But i lost it when she started rumaging through my palm for the correct change for the big issue. I couldnt believe it, i grabbed back the moneyto hear her mumble curses under her breath. I couldnt believe it!! And she still roams the same area hassling people for money. Its not even a simple one liner like "Have you any spare change" , she rants and raves untill she gets flipped off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

The most annoying one is sending their kids to do the begging, like in Navan Shopping centre in the car park (maybe they don't anymore or maybe it was just the people from Navan*), one day I was happily putting my shopping away when two little chaps came running up and started putting my shopping into the back of my car from the trolley.
    I told them to leave it but they continued and anyway after that the hands came out looking for money. Their Mam wasn't far away I found out.

*hand over mouth. Oh no he di'nt :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I was always under the impression that they couldn't speak English.
    The reason for this is because they hand you cards with badly written English and they are always mumbling in another language, I presume it's Romanian.

Yesterday, I was making a phonecall outside Easons O'Connell when a gypsy came up to me and starting talking in some language I couldn't understand.
    Again, I presume it was Romanian.
    She was pointing her head to her infant and had her palm out. The same person has come up to me a few times before.

When I finished the call I told her to get lost and got sweared at in English. So the moral of the story is, maybe not all gypsy's understand English but I'd say a few do and maybe they don't let on that they know.

Or maybe they learn swearing from the scangers who hang around the arcade on O' Connell St as I've noticed a lot of tension between the scangers and the gypsies lately

Now if only these two groups would wipe each other out, that'd be the perfect solution to everyone's problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

sueme wrote:
    P.S. Hail 2 the Chimp, the smackhead around Sligo, is it small guy, difficulties walking. Always after my handbag. Just want to know is there another one I've to look out for! Never met that bloke in EJs thankfully.
    Sorry, just seen your reply, there is a new smackhead I have seen him around the last few weekends, about 6 foot tall, in his late 20's. Haven't seen him before, was pretty out of it tryin to give me a sob story looking for money.
    There is usually some old fella sitting in the bank link beside EJ's with a cup out for change but he's a bit of a scum bag heard he was being pretty sleazy to some women who were in there alone.
    But he also hangs around with a friend of his, in his mid 20's out of his head most of the time. They tried to lock a friend of mine into the bank link until he gave them some cash but he's a tough enough fellow so told them where to go...
    On a side note last summer I seen the last two lads snorting a white powder in an alley (beside the left bank pub) in broad daylight :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭Pansy Potter

As part of the rules of selling the Big Issue the seller is prohibited from begging. If they are found to be begging they are no longer allowed to sell it. The Big Issue is meant to give them the dignity of working plus a cut of the price.
    There is a Romanian bitch who frequents Bachelor's Walk/The Boardwalk selling the Big Issue and if you don't want to buy it she asks for some change.
    But she isn't breaking the Big Issue rules because its a fake - the outer cover is a colour copy of the original and the inside is blank pages. She's not the only one at this.

How low can you go?

As part of the rules of selling the Big Issue the seller is prohibited from begging. If they are found to be begging they are no longer allowed to sell it. The Big Issue is meant to give them the dignity of working plus a cut of the price.
    There is a Romanian bitch who frequents Bachelor's Walk/The Boardwalk selling the Big Issue and if you don't want to buy it she asks for some change.
    But she isn't breaking the Big Issue rules because its a fake - the outer cover is a colour copy of the original and the inside is blank pages. She's not the only one at this.

How low can you go?

There was a gang of them at the top of o'connel street nd junction of north earl street area last wednesday.One lot was begging,another was holding up one copy of the big issue with her hand out and somebody else was trying to sell a "gold" ring in a box that looked like it came out of a christmas cracker..they had al the scabbing bases covered,a ****ing pest thats what they are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Ya I've seen this before, someone tired to buy a big iuuse off a Romanian woman in Sligo and she wouldnt give them the copy she just begged for money...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Holy hell, didn't know there was this much angst towards street beggars on boards!

I agree with what's being said though on the whole. A few weeks ago at work a group of gypsies wandered into the shop. I was on the till, and two of them approached me. They tried to buy something worth about 50c and wanted to pay for it with €200 in €50 notes. I told them they had given me too much, but then started asking me for 8 €20's in change. They kept changing their mind, trying to confuse me into giving them more money than they were owed. When one of them tried to reach into the till, we just kicked them all out. My co-workers then told me the other gypsies were wandering around the shop asking for items worth €20 for €2.

I won't be giving any money to these kind of people if they think they can be this cheeky and get away with it. I don't know what the policy in their own country is regarding this kind of behaviour, but it won't go down very well here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Be The Holy

Just wondering, what is the status of these Gypsies now?

They are obviously EU citizens since Jan 1st and so can come here, but they cant work without a permit unless they are self employed?? AFAIK, begging and acting the general pain in the derriere is not considered self employment. I presume similar to the ten accession states a couple of years ago, they are now not entitled to any benefits what so ever???

So basically, their begging is covering their accomodation, feeding and jewellery costs?? Decreasing profit margins then. Eddie Hobbs might give them a bit of advice there.

A friend of mine was on holiday in Romania about eight/ten years ago when they first started coming in here, he got talking to a few romanians who suggested that "our government buy a boat, put all the gypsies on it and blew it up in the middle of the sea". That was their general attitude to the problem.

So basically, their begging is covering their accomodation, feeding and jewellery costs?? Decreasing profit margins then. Eddie Hobbs might give them a bit of advice there.

You can easily make a grand a week begging here if you're any way good at all. People who wait for drunks coming out of pubs can make that in a night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

InFront wrote:
    Most of us probably wouldn't miss a few euro if we lost it on the street so I don't see why not.
    I would avoid giving money to people who I'd suspect of being junkies, but there's an old lady who sits around Stephen's Green with a child that you tend to feel a bit guilty about passing. It's just a few euro to people like us who waste time on the internet posting in threads like this!:)

People like you are why the child is on the street begging. Well done.

Boston wrote:
    Conversly it could be said that people like you are the reason we are becoming increasingly insular and forgetting that sometimes circumstances force people into a life of begging (and i'm not talking about drug abuse or family lifestyle (read travellers and gypsies) here).
    I hope the comedown doesn't hit you too hard.

Beggars bring their children out begging with them because they know it works. If people didn't give in to that, then maybe the woman would leave the child at home.

Stark wrote:
    Beggars bring their children out begging with them because they know it works. If people didn't give in to that, then maybe the woman would leave the child at home.
    I actually wouldn't give money to someone begging with a child. I feel it's complete explotation of the child in question. I was just trying to make a point with my last post.

As I stated earlier in this thread, I gave a few quid to some bum asking for beer money because he was honest with me. It was worth it for the comical misadventures which ensued when I asked him for directions and he then asked a couple of Asian people who looked like tourists.
    Anyway, The young girls selling flowers outside nightclubs piss me off. Not the girls themselves, but the brutish looking oafs who are waiting to take the money off them afterwards. It's like child slavery.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭LivingDeadGirl

Has anyone seen that beggar woman in Patrick St. in Cork? She's disturbing the way she wails...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I nearly got physically attacked by a romanian beggar on Saturday last in Limerick. She came at me shouting something and putting her hand out. I said no to her three times at which point she forcefully pushed me out of the way and started screaming at a child behind me. So I slapped the bitch across the face and walked off. Its sickens me to see these patethic excuses for human life crawling the streets. Pack them all onto a nice big boat and set it alight once it gets out to sea.

DarkJager wrote:
    So I slapped the bitch across the face and walked off.

Quality :D

Be careful if you're going to mess around with these people though, their husbands/pimps aren't usually that far away and if they catch you, they will f*ck you up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Mrs. MacGyver

has anyone seen the old gut in the suit around cork city centre/ patricks bridge. Looks not one bit like a beggar? also what hapened to the youngish guy with the scruffy dog (he's genuine - i know) has he died?

has anyone seen the old gut in the suit around cork city centre/ patricks bridge. Looks not one bit like a beggar? also what hapened to the youngish guy with the scruffy dog (he's genuine - i know) has he died?
    No. Nobody actually lives in Cork. In fact, Cork doesn't even exist. It's a mythical place. Just like Atlantis.
    Stop making up stories. If you haven't actually seen anyone begging, we won't hold it against you. Just don't start up with these Cork stories. We've all heard them before.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Boston wrote:

No, I'm not. I would tend to blame the woman who sits there with the child as opposed to myself.

julep wrote:
    Conversly it could be said that people like you are the reason we are becoming increasingly insular and forgetting that sometimes circumstances force people into a life of begging (and i'm not talking about drug abuse or family lifestyle (read travellers and gypsies) here).
    I hope the comedown doesn't hit you too hard.

Those circumstances are called exploitation. If you care for the child ring social services.

Infront: and why is the child there in the first place.

As a lesson to us all, to stop being begrudgering little ****heads.

It would be an even more poignant lesson if someone maimed their child to tug at your heart strings. Perhaps next time you see a child on the streets, it could have a few bruises for that aesthetic charm.

Don't have a child of your own, with which to beg? Why not purchase one on the black market which is springing up in poor nations everywhere? The return on investment is fantastic thanks to all the non-begrudgers out there.

Do yourself a favour and give that few euro to a registered charity whose goal is to help children. The last thing Ireland needs is a culture of child exploitation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

I hate beggars, it's not them its how they make me feel. i often give money to beggars who come up to me looking for money "for tea" or for "a hostel", (who's to say they're lying). It's the people in this country and in dire need that need help but apart from a few charities like St vincent de paul etc there isnt much. Certain celebrities are always willing to have photos taken in shanty towns but here or at home they would simply avoid areas where they'll come into contact with the riff raff.
    The thing about charities is that i hate being plagued by people with clipboards, i'm not anti charity, i'm involved in the order of malta, but if charities are paying people to work on their behalf harassing people i lose respect for them. if i see people collecting for a hospice or something equally worthy i'll always give them my change

Stark wrote:
    It would be an even more poignant lesson if someone maimed their child to tug at your heart strings. Perhaps next time you see a child on the streets, it could have a few bruises for that aesthetic charm.

That's a pretty stupid post. Are you even aware that because of how the law is structured in this country, there are migrant children out there - or parents of migrant children - who are simply not allowed to claim child benefit because of a certain way of interpreting the 2004 immigration policy here?

I don't buy into the hypothesis that these women are doing what they are doing out of greed. They are sitting there with their children, whom they love, because they are poor. I cannot understand the selfish mentality of a person who complains about handing such a person some loose change.

It is the job of the gardai, and the educational authorities to get their ass in gear and figure out what the problem is. In the meantime, I personally don't intend to stop giving change to a middle aged beggar woman on the street because someone from the internet rolled their eyes.

• Advertisement

They are sitting there with their kids because its what they have done for generations. It's not selfish to refuse money, You don't give alcoholics and junkies money do you? It's the same thing people arn't using hte money to help themselves. Admitt it, you give so you can feel superior about yourself, you know it's not helping. You know the kids should be in school/No on the street, and you know that for the price of a phone call to social services/Gardi you could actually help the child out and give it a better option for the future then begging on the streets with it's own kids 20 years down the road.

You should really learn how this racket works. These women and kids don't keep the money you give them. There will be somebody who drives around the city center all day making collections from the varous women and kids he has out begging. Even when irish kids where begging this is how it worked. You really want to give something, buy the kids some food for ****s sake, but that might requiring you actually holding these middle class values you claim rather then just spouting a load of BS about them. Easiest thing in the world is to give a begger some change, it takes allot more to actually care.

Give me nothing,tell them to piss off and tell the gaurds they're hassling people,if everyone sticks up to them they'll soon head off somewher else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Degsy wrote:
    Give me nothing,tell them to piss off and tell the gaurds they're hassling people,if everyone sticks up to them they'll soon head off somewher else.
    You trying to tell us something Degsy?

Boston wrote:
    Admitt it, you give so you can feel superior about yourself,
    That's rubbish. You're the one trying to take the moral high ground by pretending that its better to refuse one of these mothers some money.
    One of the ugliest and most disgusting features of Dublin society is how the people on the very bottom are treated, and the attitudes that abound about these kind of immigrant ladies who are sitting there out of desperation. I honestly think there are people out there who are so - unbelievably - stupid that they do not realise the extent of child poverty in Ireland.
    You should really learn how this racket works.

Thanks for the heads up, it sounds like you are the one who needs to learn about poverty. You seem to be suggesting that, far from being miserable and abjectly poor, these women are part of some wealthy corporate Romanian conspiracy to steal from the rich Irish. I suppose they are off to the Algarve on weekend laughing at you all as well? Grow up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭walrusgumble

som of us sometimes avoid beggars regardless of nationality. if kept giving, we ourselves would be on the street, wages are not always great.

but when i give them a couple of quid (in my opinion giving a quid is bit of an insult, but that is just me) i do not care what they do with it, i give because i genuinely feel sorry for them, and hope that if i never fall on bad times and that would never happen to me. i my self did voluntary work a few years back with some homeless shelter group, went out at night with tea, sandwhich, and a couple of cigarettes etc.not a happy sight.

i assure you i did not go home and think, my god, amn't i great and pat my self on the back. i agree with one post, its easy to give money (sometimes so they can get away from you) but its another to care.

anyway i aint trying to suggest we should all do voluntary work or even care, what i am saying is that not all people have the motive of giving to beggars to feel superior and count it as their good deed of the day. i do agree it may be some people's motive, but not all

• Advertisement
Advertisement