Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT BB/Eircom clash!

Options
  • 27-01-2007 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭

OK - I'll try to keep this short. A relation signed up for the €45 p/m BT offer. They had a fault on their phone line and reported it to Eircom while still with them. Eircom come out - when the line has switched to BT. But this is the best bit: The Eircom pole is in the next door neighbour's garden and has been surrounded by their Lelandi trees.

Engineer tells relation it's up to her to cut down the trees (even though they're not hers) and anyway "you've gone to someone else".

The broadband won't work due to the fault (confirmed by BT) so she is in limbo. She has to report the fault to BT and they will raise a call. But, no doubt, same guy will use same excuse.

Should Eircom not be responsible for access to their own infrastructure? If a manhole has been buried will they tell the sub to dig it up? All sounds mad!
    What a shower!:mad:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,197 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Contact ComReg. In writing.

They probably won't do anything, but let's hope for a 'water dripping constantly on stone' effect with them.

Eventually someone somewhere has to take a look at what eircom get up to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭Eurorunner

Freddie59 wrote:
    Engineer tells relation it's up to her to cut down the trees (even though they're not hers) and anyway "you've gone to someone else".
    This type of attitude is rife amongst €ircon workers. Remember, they each have a nice wedge of shares in the Telco - so they have more of an interest than normal in seeing that the company does well and keeps its customers. Unfortunately, they go the wrong way about it.

They don't have a choice but to do it - you have to stick with it and make them do it. Many people are frightened into going with them because of this sort of thing - they think they will have problems with repairs,etc. And in many cases they're right - a lot of the time, customers of other BB telcos will go to the back of the queue. But this is not a reason to hand over your cash to them every month.

Don't give way.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Eurorunner wrote:
    This type of attitude is rife amongst €ircon workers. Remember, they each have a nice wedge of shares in the Telco - so they have more of an interest than normal in seeing that the company does well and keeps its customers. Unfortunately, they go the wrong way about it.

They don't have a choice but to do it - you have to stick with it and make them do it. Many people are frightened into going with them because of this sort of thing - they think they will have problems with repairs,etc. And in many cases they're right - a lot of the time, customers of other BB telcos will go to the back of the queue. But this is not a reason to hand over your cash to them every month.

Don't give way.

You are making a generalisation there which is completely unfair and also ill informed. A friend of mine recently had eircom bb installed and the installer went above and beyond the call of duty in a number of ways to help him - he could not get over how helpful the installer was (and the friend is no lover of Eircom I can tell you)

And it is not the case that all Eircom workers have a nice wedge of shares in the Telco. Workers who were there at a particular time have shares - many current employees do not have shares while many ex employees do.

Also in this case the original poster is being premature (and yet again another mistitled post) as he is anticipating stuff that may happen and condemning Eircom on that basis. Where is the clash between BT and Eircom? As of the time of posting there is no indication that BT have clashed with Eircom or vice versa?

Presumably BT will report the fault as the wholesale relationship is between BT and Eircom. And there may be 'third party' difficulties if a neighbour's property has to be accessed and trees on the property interfered with so it is more than likely not going to be an easy one.

Hiindsight is easy of course but it would have been wiser to have the fault resolved before moving Companies. It seems strange that they were able to order bb with a fault on the line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Eurorunner wrote:

Don't give way.

Thanks for that Eurorunner. Dub45 - you may be right in your experience, but this type of carry-on is unacceptable. I can see where the guy was coming from, but he seemd to have a problem with the fact that things have changed. Yes - BT are getting some revenue, but you may be damn sure eircom are getting their few quid also. So everyone's happy.

I got NTL and the installation was flawless in comparison. It is quite maddening.:mad:

Freddie59 wrote:
    Thanks for that Eurorunner. Dub45 - you may be right in your experience, but this type of carry-on is unacceptable. I can see where the guy was coming from, but he seemd to have a problem with the fact that things have changed. Yes - BT are getting some revenue, but you may be damn sure eircom are getting their few quid also. So everyone's happy.

I got NTL and the installation was flawless in comparison. It is quite maddening.:mad:

What type of carry on is unacceptable exactly?

You did not hear the conversation that you are telling us about? Is it the conversation that you think is unacceptable? Do you expect the Eircom guy to go in and start cutting down the trees?

I can only imagine the posts on here if Eircom staff started going into people's gardens without permission and cutting down trees:rolleyes:

The words you give us in quotation marks which may or may not be what the installer actually said are the actual facts aren't they? The relative has gone to someone else?

And again I ask where is the actual BT/Eircom 'clash' which you have titled the thread with?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭JNive

first eh engineer was there to diasnose a fault on a line with Eircom, since the line was now with BT, he COULD not do anything, as his work order was for an Eircom customer line, and NOT for an Eircom Wholesaler problem. Second when he does come back eventually, he would need to ask the neighbour himself at the time of visiting or prior to callout to have the trees cut or altered to allow him access, that part is not the responsibility of your relation in fairness, cause neither the pole, the garden, or the line from the pole to her house are hers, the only part that is the ownership of your relation, is what is connected to the Eircom NTU anything else is Eircoms responsibility and if something is restricting access to it, that you dont own, its not your problem frankly

dub45 wrote:
    What type of carry on is unacceptable exactly?

You did not hear the conversation that you are telling us about? Is it the conversation that you think is unacceptable? Do you expect the Eircom guy to go in and start cutting down the trees?

I can only imagine the posts on here if Eircom staff started going into people's gardens without permission and cutting down trees:rolleyes:

The words you give us in quotation marks which may or may not be what the installer actually said are the actual facts aren't they? The relative has gone to someone else?

And again I ask where is the actual BT/Eircom 'clash' which you have titled the thread with?

Dub 45 - can we clear something up here? This is not a personal attack on you, so why are you so defensive. Do you work for Eircom or something?:confused: Yes I DO expect Eircom to clear access to their own equipment.

They are the ones who installed the phone line. If it were, say, an OAP would they be expected to do it? I think not.

I have quoted the conversation as it occured. If you have some problem with what was said, then, well, what can I say?:rolleyes:

The bottom line here is that Eircom are responsible for their equipment. End of story. Nothing changes that. It's up to them to fix it.

Personally I've never heard anything so ludicrous in my life.

JNive wrote:
    first eh engineer was there to diasnose a fault on a line with Eircom, since the line was now with BT, he COULD not do anything, as his work order was for an Eircom customer line, and NOT for an Eircom Wholesaler problem. Second when he does come back eventually, he would need to ask the neighbour himself at the time of visiting or prior to callout to have the trees cut or altered to allow him access, that part is not the responsibility of your relation in fairness, cause neither the pole, the garden, or the line from the pole to her house are hers, the only part that is the ownership of your relation, is what is connected to the Eircom NTU anything else is Eircoms responsibility and if something is restricting access to it, that you dont own, its not your problem frankly

Thanks Jnive. Well put and exactly how my relation feels about it.

Freddie59 wrote:
    Dub 45 - can we clear something up here? This is not a personal attack on you, so why are you so defensive. Do you work for Eircom or something?:confused: Yes I DO expect Eircom to clear access to their own equipment.

They are the ones who installed the phone line. If it were, say, an OAP would they be expected to do it? I think not.

I have quoted the conversation as it occured. If you have some problem with what was said, then, well, what can I say?:rolleyes:

The bottom line here is that Eircom are responsible for their equipment. End of story. Nothing changes that. It's up to them to fix it.

Personally I've never heard anything so ludicrous in my life.

Personally I think your post is 'ludicrous'. You have started a thread called BT/BB Clash when in fact there is no clash whatsoever.

From the few facts as distinct from hysteria in your posts it would appear that the ex Eircom customer involved had a fault on their line and while having reported the fault to Eircom subsequently moved to BT. And JNive, presumably correctly and logically surmises in the post above what the situation is.

As you were not present for the conversation between the installer and the ex Eircom customer I don't know how you can claim to have quoted the conversation as it occurred and the only words you actually put in quotation marks are simply a statement of fact without any context or tone etc. In fact you attempt yourself to imply a particular tone by putting an 'anyway' in front of your quotation marks.

At the time of your first post it appears that the fault had not formally been reported to BT so there is no basis for the claim that the person is in limbo.

You then anticipate that the same installer will be sent out and say the same things??????????:rolleyes:

When BT report the fault to Eircom wholesale the question of access to the pole will have to be addressed. Eircom cannot go in and start cutting down a person's trees without permission. It is up to Eircom to address that situation.

The claimed remark by the installler may have been said in jest - he may have been flippant we don't know. Installers are not employed for their diplomatic skills

Where's the clash?

I dont work for Eircom - have no great love for them to say the least - but your post is typical of an irrational anti Eircom stance on here where people are just waiting to pounce. Look at the illinformed attackes on Eircom staff you unleashed never mind the ludicrous suggestion to report this non event to Comreg:rolleyes:

The only issue of any potential substance in your post is the access to the pole beyond the 'Lelandi' trees now what has that go to do in any way with ' BT BB/Eircom clash!'

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

While its neither BT's or Eircoms job to cut down tree's and your neighbour doesn't have to even if they're told by either company (and damn right to)

I believe Eircom could go about trying to move the cable to perhaps another pole in order to resolve the fault.

Maybe they should change back to eircom get the fault fixed and move back to BT ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

Here is how i see it:

Customer is with BT,
    BT is customer of Eircom,
    Eircom has pole in neighbors land.

These are three separate relationships and do not over lap, so customer talks to BT, BT talks to Eircom and Eircom in turn deals with neighbour and pole issue.

When it comes to access to the pole, Eircom do have some rights to access to facilitate servicing of their lines, which may include the right to trim back trees. ESB have more rights than Eircom, and they deffo have the right to trim back trees, they have done it before in my house. They will usually tell you about it, but i don't think they need your permission.

Eircom, ESB and water/sewer supply companies have more access rights than other companies, such as ie ntl.

themole wrote:
    Here is how i see it:

Customer is with BT,

These are three separate relationships and do not over lap, so customer talks to BT, BT talks to Eircom and Eircom in turn deals with neighbour and pole issue.

When it comes to access to the pole, Eircom do have some rights to access to facilitate servicing of their lines, which may include the right to trim back trees. ESB have more rights than Eircom, and they deffo have the right to trim back trees, they have done it before in my house. They will usually tell you about it, but i don't think they need your permission.

Eircom, ESB and water/sewer supply companies have more access rights than other companies, such as ie ntl.

Thank you themole. You like others (bar one) appear to understanmd the genuine prdicament that this person is in. It is a manifestation of all that is wrong with customer 'service' in Ireland at the minute, and is, indeed quite ludicrous. It wouldn't be out of place on an episode of Father Ted.:mad:

dub45 wrote:
    Personally I think your post is 'ludicrous'. You have started a thread called BT/BB Clash when in fact there is no clash whatsoever.

From the few facts as distinct from hysteria in your posts it would appear that the ex Eircom customer involved had a fault on their line and while having reported the fault to Eircom subsequently moved to BT. And JNive, presumably correctly and logically surmises in the post above what the situation is.

As you were not present for the conversation between the installer and the ex Eircom customer I don't know how you can claim to have quoted the conversation as it occurred and the only words you actually put in quotation marks are simply a statement of fact without any context or tone etc. In fact you attempt yourself to imply a particular tone by putting an 'anyway' in front of your quotation marks.

At the time of your first post it appears that the fault had not formally been reported to BT so there is no basis for the claim that the person is in limbo.

You then anticipate that the same installer will be sent out and say the same things??????????:rolleyes:

When BT report the fault to Eircom wholesale the question of access to the pole will have to be addressed. Eircom cannot go in and start cutting down a person's trees without permission. It is up to Eircom to address that situation.

The claimed remark by the installler may have been said in jest - he may have been flippant we don't know. Installers are not employed for their diplomatic skills

Where's the clash?

I dont work for Eircom - have no great love for them to say the least - but your post is typical of an irrational anti Eircom stance on here where people are just waiting to pounce. Look at the illinformed attackes on Eircom staff you unleashed never mind the ludicrous suggestion to report this non event to Comreg:rolleyes:

The only issue of any potential substance in your post is the access to the pole beyond the 'Lelandi' trees now what has that go to do in any way with ' BT BB/Eircom clash!'

Look - I'm not getting into this with you. I have already explained myself and all other posters have responded with help and courtesy, which I much appreciate. If anyone is behaving hysterically it's you. But thank you for your time anyway.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

You think it's a "manifestation of all that is wrong with customer 'service' in Ireland" that an Eircom engineer, sent out to site to diagnose/fix a problem for an Eircom customer, won't go off the bat and start cutting down someone elses trees?

Do you actually think the Eircom engineer said "anyway, you've gone to someone else" implying he would have fixed the fault, but now feels bitter that they've chosen someone else?

I don't think the Eircom engineer would appreciate being quoted like that. What I belive he may have said was "You're now a BT customer, this fault will have to be reported to BT". BT will then in turn report to Eircom, going through the proper channels and following process, without which you'd have engineers hopping over walls, chopping down trees, fixing faults for non-Eircom customers leaving an Eircom customer without an engineer. What sort of an Ireland would that be now??!?

BT should be providing you with a Broadband service, if they are then you'll have to report the fault to them, they'll contact Eircom, Eircom will contact your neighbour and the world will keep on spinning.

The only "clash, exclamation mark" I can see here is between you and what you think an Eircom engineer may possibly have said to your relation out of context although he might not have...

Freddie59 wrote:
    Thank you themole. You like others (bar one) appear to understanmd the genuine prdicament that this person is in. It is a manifestation of all that is wrong with customer 'service' in Ireland at the minute, and is, indeed quite ludicrous. It wouldn't be out of place on an episode of Father Ted.:mad:

If you stopped and counted to 10 or maybe a million you might read what people have posted and stop seeing what you want to see.

Your relative is not in any dilemma at all. The relative has not yet according to your first post even reported the issue formally to BT so Eircom wholesale have not yet become involved in the matter.

Access to utilities' facilities on 'other' people's property is an issue faced daily by those utilities. I am sure the issue will be resolved in due course in line with well established procedures.

And there is no evidence as yet that there has been any failure in customer service on either BT's part or Eircom's.

The only thing that seemingly would have made you happy is for the Eircom employee to rush to his van and grab his chainsaw and ladder and zap the Lelandi's. That's the sort of thing which does indeed belong in Fr. Ted!!! and which most sensible people would describe as an act of vandalism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Freddie59 wrote:

Did you even read themoles post?

It was a simple explanation of the hoops that have got to be jumped through to get this issue resolved. If you though that was support for your hysteria, you're obviously quite confused.

Has your relative reported this problem to BT?? If not how do you expect anything to get done about it?

As other posters have said you seem that nothing would have satisfied you other than the Eircom guy getting a chainsaw out there and then. Themoles post should have educated you on why this wasnt possible, but its seems to have completely passed you by.

Get over your outrage, and actually get something positive started.

steveland? wrote:
    You think it's a "manifestation of all that is wrong with customer 'service' in Ireland" that an Eircom engineer, sent out to site to diagnose/fix a problem for an Eircom customer, won't go off the bat and start cutting down someone elses trees?

Do you actually think the Eircom engineer said "anyway, you've gone to someone else" implying he would have fixed the fault, but now feels bitter that they've chosen someone else?

I don't think the Eircom engineer would appreciate being quoted like that. What I belive he may have said was "You're now a BT customer, this fault will have to be reported to BT". BT will then in turn report to Eircom, going through the proper channels and following process, without which you'd have engineers hopping over walls, chopping down trees, fixing faults for non-Eircom customers leaving an Eircom customer without an engineer. What sort of an Ireland would that be now??!?

BT should be providing you with a Broadband service, if they are then you'll have to report the fault to them, they'll contact Eircom, Eircom will contact your neighbour and the world will keep on spinning.

The only "clash, exclamation mark" I can see here is between you and what you think an Eircom engineer may possibly have said to your relation out of context although he might not have...

OK - 2nd visit (after complaint to BT). Eircom engineer still maintains the same (even though Eircom installed the line from this pole, which they installed in the trees, and brought the line from it). Maybe the trees were not that high at the time, but who else would have put it there? The tree fairy? He did, however, concede that if the line packs up altogether then they will have to do something about it. Over to you?

Did you even read themoles post?

It was a simple explanation of the hoops that have got to be jumped through to get this issue resolved. If you though that was support for your hysteria, you're obviously quite confused.

Has your relative reported this problem to BT?? If not how do you expect anything to get done about it?

As other posters have said you seem that nothing would have satisfied you other than the Eircom guy getting a chainsaw out there and then. Themoles post should have educated you on why this wasnt possible, but its seems to have completely passed you by.

Get over your outrage, and actually get something positive started.

Right! Maybe someone will explain. Who is responsible for the Eircom line until it arrives in your home? Eircom/ The reseller? The resident? What is line rental paid for if it cannot be maintained?

themole wrote:
    Here is how i see it:

Customer is with BT,

Thanks again themole. Yes, all the above gone through and still no resolution. Eircom maintain their stance. So there it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

I was under the impression that since Eircom own the physical lines they are the ones that carry our work on them regardless of whom the customer is actually with.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Freddie59 wrote:
    OK - 2nd visit (after complaint to BT). Eircom engineer still maintains the same (even though Eircom installed the line from this pole, which they installed in the trees, and brought the line from it). Maybe the trees were not that high at the time, but who else would have put it there? The tree fairy? He did, however, concede that if the line packs up altogether then they will have to do something about it. Over to you?

Did it occur to you that the pole might have been there long before the trees? I'd almost guarantee it was.

You do know how fast a lylandi can grow right??

Has it occured to you that the neighbours might be at fault here.

I agree you arent in an ideal situation, but you need to keep plugging away.

Maybe you have just ended up with a lousy engineer who doesnt want to do the paperwork to access the pole.

Maybe they are trying to arrange access and these things take time?

MAybe the engineer is as frustrated as you are?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Has it occured to you that the neighbours might be at fault here.
    I agree you arent in an ideal situation, but you need to keep plugging away.

In my experience with line faults the neighbours don't have to do anything as its their land and its upto eircom or whoever else to resolve the issue, eircom can't tell them to cut or cut down the tree's in question, they can ask but they don't have to do it

This is talking from experience tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

Freddie59 wrote:
    Yes, Eircom maintain that the trees blocking the pole, which is in a neighbours yard, is causing them to not have access to said pole...

If the line packs in completely then it becomes a case of your relative being without any service, voice or otherwise, and becomes a priority 1 fault (an operational fault) as opposed to a lower priority fault where it's service delivery affecting. Obviously if the phone line won't work at all then it'll be higher priority for the engineer (and indeed Eircom) that the line be fixed. Operational issues (existing customers being left without a service they're paying for) will always come before providing a service to a new customer. In this case you're not an Eircom customer for DSL, as you've moved providers, but you are still an Eircom telephone subscriber. If you were an Eircom (or indeed existing BT) DSL customer then I'd imagine things would be moving a lot quicker. This fault isn't affecting general telephone calls is it? (by the way I use "you" here because "your relative" is too much to type repeatedly)

It's down to Eircom and the neighour to arrange access (cutting/trimming the trees) to the pole. Nothing to do with BT as the line doesn't physically belong to them. They rent it, as you would off Eircom if the line was coming into your house. This is why you pay line rental and why BT pay line rental to Eircom for each of the lines of their customers (which is subsidised in the customers bill).

You still haven't explained where this supposed "clash" is occuring or why you seem to think the engineer isn't playing ball because they aren't an Eircom customer. You've also provided no evidence that this is the fault at all of Eircom, BT, "customer 'service' in Ireland", your relative or the neighbour...

There are proper channels that can be gone through. As I said, report to BT (done), BT report to Eircom (done), Eircom arrange with said neighbour to repair line that is "rented" and is being paid for (pending) to remedy.

Coming on here bitching that an Eircom engineer said something about him not fixing it because they've switched providers (Eircom still make line rental, exchange floor rental etc. from BT so I fail to see why this is an issue) and bitching that the "customer 'service' in Ireland" is so bad, even though in your first post you say nothing about going through the proper channels to achieve this, is going to do nothing to help your cause or to get this fixed quicker. All this is serving to do is to highlight your own ignorance of the facts and to engender some sort of mistrust of Eircom engineers when you switch providers which seems to be your message here...

At this stage the thread is absolutely pointless.

There never was a ''BT BB/Eircom clash''

There was a totally irrational expectation that an Eircom employee should go mad with a chainsaw apparently

There still isnt any clash! and by the looks of things both BT and Eircom have responded quite quickly in so far as getting an engineer out to look at the situation.

We are now relying on reports of conversations which the poster did not participate in and we know nothing of the actual 'geography' involved in the locations of the pole/trees or what the conditions were when the pole was originally erected.

It is reasonable to assume I think there are potential legal and insurance issues involved here not to mention neighbour relations of which again we are not sufficiently aware.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i have to say, i'm no lover of eircom or bt, but i'm with dub45 on this one. the fault may lie with eircom's infrastructure but as your friend is not an eircom customer the engineer will not be able to do anything about it until the correct procedures are followed for reporting the fault with bt.

okay, so from a customer service point of view it looks to you like it sucks, but the person having the problem isn't an eircom customer is he?

look at it from the engineers point of view. what happens if he decided that it would only end up being him that came back and did it anyway and knocked on the neighbours door and got the okay from them and then heads off up the ladder and cuts down the branches. what if something goes wrong? he falls and breaks his back or gets impaled on a cut branch?

there will be an investigation and very quickly the people investigating the circumstances will see he was not meant to be there. the insurance would not pay out and yer mans left jobless and paralysed (or worse) with no compensation.

now if the call went through the proper channels in the cirst place, i.e. "your mate > bt > bt wholesale > eircom account manager for bt > eircom engineer" and the same thing happened, well too bad but everyone's ar*e is covered and compensation is paid accordingly.

an extreme case I know, but this sort of thing is the way things have to be, not just in ireland but anywhere in the developed world.

OK Everyone. Mind if I start again? I can't change the title of the thread,but if a mod wants to edit it to, say, Eircom/BT install problems or whatever then that's fine with me.

I apologise profusely for any the way the thread started and came across. Having re-read it I can see where you're all coming from. But could I just clear one thing up? The call was placed with Eircom before the application to BT. BT were almost too efficient and it went through quicker than expected.

I'm not castigating Eircom or the techs for no reason. It is borne out of puzzlement and frustration. Both my relation and I were of the impression that Eircom were responsible for the line from the Exchange to the junction box in the hall, but, accoring to everyone here, this does not appear to be the case. I do, however, stand by my comments on current levels of customer service not just in Eircom, but acorss the whole spectrum in that industry (Blueface being the exception).

I hope that clears things up for everyone and will keep you posted on developments.

Freddie.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

eircom ARE responsible for everything up to the point the cable comes through your wall, but if you are not an eircom customer eircom cannot and will not (in most cases) do anything for you. you are a customer of BT on the other hand who ARE in turn a customer of eircom. When BT provide you with a service and there is a problem with eircom's infrastructure that is providing that service to you, BT must must contact their account manager in eircom at which point an eircom engineer will come out to you to do the job.

it is a complete pain in the ar*e for your relative and doesn't make any sense from a personal point of view, but from a 21st century big business point of view it is the only way it can work at all.

Freddie59 wrote:
    OK Everyone. Mind if I start again? I can't change the title of the thread,but if a mod wants to edit it to, say, Eircom/BT install problems or whatever then that's fine with me.

I apologise profusely for any the way the thread started and came across. Having re-read it I can see where you're all coming from. But could I just clear one thing up? The call was placed with Eircom before the application to BT. BT were almost too efficient and it went through quicker than expected.

I'm not castigating Eircom or the techs for no reason. It is borne out of puzzlement and frustration. Both my relation and I were of the impression that Eircom were responsible for the line from the Exchange to the junction box in the hall, but, accoring to everyone here, this does not appear to be the case. I do, however, stand by my comments on current levels of customer service not just in Eircom, but acorss the whole spectrum in that industry (Blueface being the exception).

I hope that clears things up for everyone and will keep you posted on developments.

Freddie.

Puzzlement and frustration are not sufficient reasons to castigate either staff or an organisation. Do you even know yourself why you are 'castigating' Eircom and the techs?

You seem incapable of taking on board that a complex issue is involved here and you still seem to think that all that is required is an over enthusiastic Eircom employee and a chainsaw.

No one is saying that Eircom are not responsible for the line to the house.

People who own property have rights and I don't somehow think that you would appreciate any company entering your premises gung ho like so as to provide 'wonderful service' to a neighbour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

The issue your relative is facing is that Eircom are obliged to provide you with a line capable of providing voice calls but NOT broadband, they have no obligation regarding broadband at all.

Thats why they have not bothered fixing the problem. The issue is whether Eircom have agreed to provide BT with a line capable of broadband, but I would suspect they did not.

• Advertisement

themole wrote:
    The issue your relative is facing is that Eircom are obliged to provide you with a line capable of providing voice calls but NOT broadband, they have no obligation regarding broadband at all.

Thats why they have not bothered fixing the problem. The issue is whether Eircom have agreed to provide BT with a line capable of broadband, but I would suspect they did not.

This is why I pointed out above that I think the thread is now pointless.

We do not actually know that Eircom have not bothered to fix the problem.
    All we know is that a tech person has come out a second time apparently quite quickly given the events described by the original poster.

He has pointed out that he cannot fix the fault given the access problems.

Beyond that we dont know what is happening.

Advertisement