Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows server 2003

• 27-01-2007 7:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭

I'm going to install server 2003 on an oldish computer thats just lying around. It will only be serving 3 computers so it should be up to it. My question is what does this do out of the box?I'm assuming File and print server but what about webserver..? And are there any functions in there filesharing and users and stuff like that? I couldn't find any sites on the topic.

Also, I would like to be able to manage my networks traffic like,bandwidth and what people can do etc.. I am using a linsys WRT54g Can I just connect that to my server 2003 comp and manage everything in windows. Is there any free software out ther like terrapin multinet??

Thanks,

Hakko

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

With 2003 you choose the services to install. It just installs the OS and you configure everything after that. Microsoft provides Tools. Management of your network can then be done on the server with group policies, Active Directory etc. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

Thanks is that so,
    Those tools seem very complex to me..Is there a remote desktop connection server for server 2003? and a webserver? Or should I just use apache?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Yeah it has IIS (can't remember what version) included. It will function as a terminal server if you want, or you can just use basic remote desktop for remote administration. Licensing can get pretty damn hairy when using it as a terminal server.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

IIS is on it . You can install it under "Manage Your Server". All services on 2003 are easy to install or remove. I'd suggest installing one service and get to know it. The Remote access is done under My Computer->Properties-> Remote -> Enable Remote connections. You may also need to do some port forwarding on your router as well to get it to work.
    I wouldn't add remote connections to it until you get used to it.
    Microsoft Technet pages are very good on all things to do with Windows 2003. There is also a Google group for Windows 2003 Server.

The only problem with installing Terminal Services is that you only get a temporary licence for 90 days (Windows 2000) or 120 days for Windows 2003. After that it's nearly €100 per licence and you have buy 5!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

is_that_so wrote:
    The only problem with installing Terminal Services is that you only get a temporary licence for 90 days (Windows 2000) or 120 days for Windows 2003. After that it's nearly €100 per licence and you have buy 5!
    you get two connections on the server for free :) if you just choose the management option

since the OP is almost certainly using the 180 day trial of 2003 server, the 150 day limit isn't a big hinderence since you just have to wipe it a little earlier.

IIRC XP clients don't need a separate license,
    not 100% sure but with 2003 server any older clients won't work after a while until you ring up ,microsoft to get a valid key ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

techguy wrote:
    I'm going to install server 2003 on an oldish computer thats just lying around. It will only be serving 3 computers so it should be up to it. My question is what does this do out of the box?I'm assuming File and print server but what about webserver..? And are there any functions in there filesharing and users and stuff like that? I couldn't find any sites on the topic.
    "Terrapin MultiNet is a fully integrated email server and web proxy. Terrapin MultiNet enables you to bring the Internet to every desktop in your organisation, quickly, securely and economically"

have a look at the stickies for free apps

IIS can be used as a web server - there are others "It Isn't Secure ;)"
    centralised email would need a separate app.
    yes you can get microsoft workgroup postoffice working with outlook 2003 but you'd need a very good reason (and outlook - not outlook express)

Advertisement