Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought HP Notebook in Canada, moving to Ireland this summer

Options
  • 27-01-2007 7:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭

OK, here's the situation:

I bought an HP Pavilion dv5000 in May of 2006. Included in the price was a one year global warranty. I did not buy an extended warranty from the store I purchased the computer nor from HP because although I was repeatedly assured that I would continue to be covered once the husband (boards = yeatscounty, originally of Sligo) and I move to Ireland in Summer 07, I wanted to take the time to read the contract to make sure this claim was in fact, true. I have since found out that it is not and that the HP Total Care package, if purchased through HP Canada, is only valid if the product remains in the country of purchase.
    I would not buy an extended warranty but I have already had several issues with the notebook to date and I don't trust the thing. (In fact, as an to an aside, if anyone has any tips on how to get it replaced for a more reliable model with no charge, send them on!)

My question is, is it possible to get an HP Total Care package from HP Ireland for a Notebook PC purchased outside of Ireland? I have sent an email to HP Ireland to this end, but I know from dealing with HP Canada that sometimes the answer you get is not the real answer so I am double checking here!

Thanks for any help..

Christine

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

I'm probably missing something basic from your post. How would a one year global warranty bought in May 06 be valid anywhere in Summer 07?
    As for the warranty you have there something weird there too. How can they call it global if the product remains in one country. Is there a consumer issues dept that can help you out in Canada? It seems like you've been sold something under false pretences.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Allow me to clarify:

With the computer came a 1 year global warranty. It of course expires in May 07.

I would like to purchase a 3 year extended warranty because I don't trust my laptop as it has problems.

However, although I was told the 3 year extended warranty would be global, after reading the contract (which I found excessive in "legalese") I found out it wasn't and that the 3 year extended warranty is only valid if the computer remains in the country of purchase, which it will not because I am moving country this summer.

So HP Canada suggested that I contact HP Ireland to see if I could purchase on of THEIR extended warranties for my Canadian machine. I emailed them but the query got sent to head office at HP and I got told to call HP Ireland (From Canada mind!). And I know that if I do call them they'll stick me on hold while they investigate and my phone card will run out and I'll be forced to hang up and it'll be great fun!

Which is why I thought I'd try here first :)

Advertisement