Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How come conditioner doesnt make anu sud's?

• 27-01-2007 8:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭

When i was having my daily shower :D, there was no shampoo or shower gel left so i had to use conditioner. I'm the type of person who loves to just stand in the shower with loads and loads of sud's. So i have two question

1. Why doesnt conditioner have any sud's
    2. what shampoo/ bodywash do you find has the most sud's. Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Shampoo contains surface acting agents (sodium laureth sulphate) which help create a lather when mixed with water. Conditioner does not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

oh right, thanks very much i always wondered that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭nikolaitr

You do know conditioner doesn't wash your hair right?

It's purpose is to balance the pH after using alkaline shampoo.
    Oh and PS this is why shampoo/comditiones mixes don't work

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

on a similar note, are you really meant to leave conditioner in for a few minutes? I get very bored waiting for it, and by the time I've gotten around to it I've already given myself a decent enough scrubbing everywhere else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

nikolaitr wrote:

Serious?? That i did not know, so while i was using it as body wash it was actually doing nothing :D:D . Still trying to find the suddest bodywash

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭daiixi

Mordeth wrote:
    on a similar note, are you really meant to leave conditioner in for a few minutes? I get very bored waiting for it, and by the time I've gotten around to it I've already given myself a decent enough scrubbing everywhere else.

only conditioning treatment and only once a week or so depending on your hair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

Conditioner makes your hair very greasy.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

It doesn't make my hair greasy, but Curly hair tends to be very dry anyway so my hair needs it, but if you have greasy hair anyway you don't need conditioner.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mordeth wrote:

You're supposed to leave it in for about a minute to get good results. Deep conditioning treatments take longer.

Killaqueen - Conditioner does not make your hair greasy if you're using it right. You only put it on the lenght of your hair (that is, the lenght that would be contained in a ponytail, below the bobble). There's also different types of conditioner. If you find it makes your hair greasy, you're either using too much or the wrong type.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

nikolaitr wrote:

Thought it was to detangle and smooth hair?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

simu wrote:
    Thought it was to detangle and smooth hair?

Yeah, it works by neutralising the acidity of the shampoo. Shampoo is slightly acidic, conditioner is slightly basic, they balance each other out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

IT shouldn't be forgotten that sodium lauryl/laureth sulphate is a detergent and removes lipids from your skin. These lipids should be replaced.

This is why these days may companies are advertising the fact that their shampoos contain dexpanthenol (pro-vitamin B5) and ceramides.

Dexpanthenol has been shown to promote synthesis of your own physiologic lipids by skin cells and ceramides are a type of lipid that is also contained in the skin.

Therefore, the addition of these ingredients is important to replace the damage that shampoo is doing to your skin. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

Nightwish wrote:
    Shampoo contains surface acting agents (sodium laureth sulphate) which help create a lather when mixed with water. Conditioner does not.
    what nightwish said and panten haircare best of the bunch.love tescos wake ytou up range it really works....or if i want to spoil myself lush products are devine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 938 ✭✭✭chuci

never knew that it was so scientific just thought that it cleaned your hair and kept it soft

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

chuci wrote:
    never knew that it was so scientific just thought that it cleaned your hair and kept it soft

Ever wondered how soap is made? Its extremely scientific!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

I do now, thanks to fight club!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Mordeth wrote:
    I get very bored waiting for it, and by the time I've gotten around to it I've already given myself a decent enough scrubbing everywhere else.

Why not put in the conditioner and then wash your face and body? Then rinse it all off together.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

because I have a routine and I'll be damned if I change it to satisfy my hair

r3nu4l wrote:
    IT shouldn't be forgotten that sodium lauryl/laureth sulphate is a detergent and removes lipids from your skin. These lipids should be replaced.

You can get shampoos without it too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

simu wrote:
    You can get shampoos without it too!

Indeed you can but most people aren't aware of what SLS does to their skin and 90% of the main brands on the shelves contain it.

It's not necessarily bad for healthy skin (it's not ideal either) but using prodcts containing SLS on a baby's skin or on damaged skin (atopic dermatitis, psoriasis, rosacea etc.) is a bad idea so it's well worth hunting down the products that don't contain SLS.

I still can't get used to calling it sodium lauryl sulfate...it will always be sodium dodecyl sulphate to me :)

Advertisement